A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:51:24 am
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon  (Read 151944 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #300 on: May 26, 2018, 10:56:02 pm »

Lol...You shot your wad early...Again...!!!

To paraphrase an old Kris Kristopherson song...

Nitrous, nitrous, my old friend...
I've come to visit you again...

Step away from the cow!!  You know what effect that has on you..!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #301 on: June 08, 2018, 05:46:37 pm »

So I see Amazon is building a fulfillment center in Tulsa. Counting down to it's nothing but a bunch of $10.00/hour crap jobs comment in 5, 4, 3, 2, .......

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2353923
joiei
City Father

« Reply #302 on: June 08, 2018, 06:19:43 pm »

So I see Amazon is building a fulfillment center in Tulsa. Counting down to it's nothing but a bunch of $10.00/hour crap jobs comment in 5, 4, 3, 2, .......

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2353923
but but But all those evangelical conservative republicans will all preach it is jobs.  Jobs we didn't have.  And at $10 those are good paying jobs. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #303 on: June 08, 2018, 07:03:27 pm »

but but But all those evangelical conservative republicans will all preach it is jobs.  Jobs we didn't have.  And at $10 those are good paying jobs. 

Yeah, only 25% below what would be a real minimum wage.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #304 on: June 08, 2018, 07:47:57 pm »

unrelated, anyone know where it's going to be located?
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #305 on: June 08, 2018, 08:33:19 pm »

Some people that actually need those $10/hour jobs would think your pretentious donkey was pretty inconsiderate.

And while $10 may be the starting pay, obviously it will afford those with a good work ethic an opportunity to grow and earn more money.

I believe Amazon has claimed publicly the average pay before overtime is $15/hour, which is about $30k/year for a job that does not require a college degree (or maybe even a high school diploma I honestly don't know). I know this may be hard to believe, but there are actually a fair amount of people that fit this demographic around here.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #306 on: June 08, 2018, 08:51:25 pm »

Lol...!!

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #307 on: June 08, 2018, 08:55:46 pm »

unrelated, anyone know where it's going to be located?

"As previously reported in the Tulsa World, the 640,000-square-foot facility will be built on an 82-acre property near 43rd Street North and Garnett Road."

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #308 on: June 08, 2018, 08:57:00 pm »

Some people that actually need those $10/hour jobs would think your pretentious donkey was pretty inconsiderate.

And while $10 may be the starting pay, obviously it will afford those with a good work ethic an opportunity to grow and earn more money.

I believe Amazon has claimed publicly the average pay before overtime is $15/hour, which is about $30k/year for a job that does not require a college degree (or maybe even a high school diploma I honestly don't know). I know this may be hard to believe, but there are actually a fair amount of people that fit this demographic around here.

$15/hr would be the equivalent of about 60% more than I started out making in my first "real" job as a college drop out at 22.  I didn't work for those wages very long.  I had a good understanding if I did entry-level work quite well, I'd prove myself and improve my income commensurately.  Setting an artificial floor or expecting there are people who cannot improve beyond a minimum wage doesn't help the business and it doesn't really help the employee when society's expectations are that low.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #309 on: June 09, 2018, 08:57:04 am »

Yeah, only 25% below what would be a real minimum wage.

The real minimum wage is $0.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #310 on: June 09, 2018, 03:41:57 pm »

The real minimum wage is $0.

Joining the Breadhead delusion??

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #311 on: November 03, 2018, 08:29:18 pm »

The discussions were more detailed than those the company has had regarding other locations in Northern Virginia and some other cities nationally, adding to speculation that the site in Arlington County is a front-runner to land the online retail giant’s second North American headquarters and its 50,000 jobs.

Amazon in advanced talks about putting HQ2 in Northern Virginia, those close to process say:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/amazon-in-advanced-talks-about-putting-hq2-in-northern-virginia-those-close-to-process-say/2018/11/02/9be831d6-d7c0-11e8-aeb7-ddcad4a0a54e_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.812dfd87c604

The applications submitted for the Amazon (HQ2) second headquarters by Oklahoma's two largest cities IMO has paid dividends with fulfillment centers planned for Tulsa & Oklahoma City.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 11:01:59 am by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #312 on: November 05, 2018, 09:43:00 am »

The applications submitted for the Amazon (HQ2) second headquarters by Oklahoma's two largest cities IMO has paid dividends with fulfillment centers planned for Tulsa & Oklahoma City.

Amazon builds fulfillment centers where orders need fulfilled.  HQ2 RFCs have nothing to do with it.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #313 on: November 05, 2018, 11:52:44 am »

Amazon builds fulfillment centers where orders need fulfilled.  HQ2 RFCs have nothing to do with it.

Hope for the sake of those cities who participated in the HQ2 process that is wasn't entirely a waste.

A welcome site to Oklahoma City are the construction projects with many of those cranes visible in the core:

The new 2.5 million sq. ft., multi-level Amazon Fulfillment Center is under construction at Will Rogers World Airport's Lariat Landing.  Amazon will join SkyWest and Federal Express as large employers opening facilities near the airport.

OKC's new convention center, Omni conference hotel and south & west of those projects the construction of the downtown Scissortail Park (below); Oklahoma City Boulevard separates the park and the Chesapeake Energy Arena.  All pics via OKCTalk Forum.

Oklahoma City Convention Center:  https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-3/projects/downtown-convention-center
     Omni Hotel:  http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=490-Omni-Hotels-submits-final-plans-for-approval
     Scissortail Park:  https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-3/projects/downtown-public-park]

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:57:00 am by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #314 on: November 05, 2018, 01:53:43 pm »

Hope for the sake of those cities who participated in the HQ2 process that is wasn't entirely a waste.

A welcome site to Oklahoma City are the construction projects with many of those cranes visible in the core:

The new 2.5 million sq. ft., multi-level Amazon Fulfillment Center is under construction at Will Rogers World Airport's Lariat Landing.  Amazon will join SkyWest and Federal Express as large employers opening facilities near the airport.

OKC's new convention center, Omni conference hotel and south & west of those projects the construction of the downtown Scissortail Park (below); Oklahoma City Boulevard separates the park and the Chesapeake Energy Arena.  All pics via OKCTalk Forum.

Oklahoma City Convention Center:  https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-3/projects/downtown-convention-center
     Omni Hotel:  http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=490-Omni-Hotels-submits-final-plans-for-approval
     Scissortail Park:  https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-3/projects/downtown-public-park]

Someone needs to tell OKC the 70s are over. That looks like a pedestrian nightmare.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org