A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:07:37 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW QT - 15th and Lewis  (Read 49747 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2018, 10:58:27 am »

As much as I want Tulsa to feel walkable, it is still very focused on convenience for cars and drivers. Everything Tulsans can do, they want to do it with a drive-thru.

The key is to provide an alternate, more walkable option in the older, urban areas of the city.  As Tulsa gets more density in the downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods the corresponding development should cater to pedestrians, transit and bicycles, not just cars.

QT locations at 11th & Utica, 11th & College, 15th & Lewis, 15th & Denver and 36th & Peoria should be more pedestrian-oriented.  QT's at 71st & Yale, 51st & Sheridan, 101st & Memorial, etc are different stories because those areas are already mostly auto-oriented with little chance for any change. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:01:00 am by SXSW » Logged

rebound
City Father

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2018, 11:27:34 am »

The key is to provide an alternate, more walkable option in the older, urban areas of the city.  As Tulsa gets more density in the downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods the corresponding development should cater to pedestrians, transit and bicycles, not just cars.

QT locations at 11th & Utica, 11th & College, 15th & Lewis, 15th & Denver and 36th & Peoria should be more pedestrian-oriented.  QT's at 71st & Yale, 51st & Sheridan, 101st & Memorial, etc are different stories because those areas are already mostly auto-oriented with little chance for any change. 

I use the one at 36th and Peoria multiple times a week, and it frustrates me every time I see it.  I love that it is there, and is very convenient.  But they could have built a cool street-fronted store that adhered to the look of the neighborhood and put the pumps in the back, etc.    Doing it the way the did it certainly hasn't hurt their business, but it would be nice to see QT care a bit more about the asthetics of their Tulsa stores.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2018, 01:26:04 pm »

I use the one at 36th and Peoria multiple times a week, and it frustrates me every time I see it.  I love that it is there, and is very convenient.  But they could have built a cool street-fronted store that adhered to the look of the neighborhood and put the pumps in the back, etc.    Doing it the way the did it certainly hasn't hurt their business, but it would be nice to see QT care a bit more about the asthetics of their Tulsa stores.

I have a love/hate relationship with this topic when we talk about QT being more pedestrian-friendly.  They are a gasoline retailer, which by the principal product they sell, they aren't really promoting pedestrianism.  Call it an irony if you like.

Here's the issue for a gasoline retailer:  If that is the main part of your business, it has to be easy for people to pull in and pull out and not have to trundle down a side street to get in and out of the business to get your fuel.  Hiding the pumps in back decreases the visibility of the existence of the pumps.  I get your point and in a perfect world, I'd love that too.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2018, 03:22:16 pm »

They are a gasoline retailer

I hope they're at least thinking about how to adapt to electric
TeeDub
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2018, 01:00:45 am »

I hope they're at least thinking about how to adapt to electric

In Springfield, they have Tesla chargers.   Well, the competition does anyway.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2016/06/08/macadoodles-tesla-superchargers-coming-north-springfield/85529714/
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2018, 12:42:47 pm »

I don't know if it has been mentioned anywhere on here but the North garage that is used for TAD parking has a couple of spots to charge vehicles.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2018, 01:48:26 pm »

I don't know if it has been mentioned anywhere on here but the North garage that is used for TAD parking has a couple of spots to charge vehicles.

Not to derail the conversation any further, but my program has worked to get EV chargers in several downtown garages. So far, we have have:
• 2 in the West Garage
• 2 in the South Garage
• 2 in the North Garage
• 2 in the OTC garage
• 8 at Central Library's new garage (4 each on the ground and plaza levels)

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2018, 05:52:07 pm »

The houses surrounding the new location have been bulldozed so this appears to be moving along.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2018, 10:03:35 pm »

The houses surrounding the new location have been bulldozed so this appears to be moving along.

No smile...Huh

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2018, 04:21:27 pm »

Not verified, but a rumor on Nextdoor.com has the Sonic on Lewis Ave. bulldozing the remaining residences to their north and demolishing their present store to expand and re-align a new, larger Sonic with the new mega-QT this fall. 
The new store would include outside seating, so I dont know how that jibes with QT's announced plan to have greenspace to their south.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2018, 05:40:03 pm »

Not verified, but a rumor on Nextdoor.com has the Sonic on Lewis Ave. bulldozing the remaining residences to their north and demolishing their present store to expand and re-align a new, larger Sonic with the new mega-QT this fall. 
The new store would include outside seating, so I dont know how that jibes with QT's announced plan to have greenspace to their south.

Sounds terrible, hopefully the neighborhood fights that. 

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2018, 01:51:08 pm »

Sounds terrible, hopefully the neighborhood fights that. 

I confirmed with Sonic staff that this is happening by October.
The greenspace QT promised to the neighbors?  "It will be one big parking lot" from 15th to 16th streets, says the drive-in.

I guess you can say any damn thing you can think of to neighborhood groups.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2018, 03:24:36 pm »

I confirmed with Sonic staff that this is happening by October.
The greenspace QT promised to the neighbors?  "It will be one big parking lot" from 15th to 16th streets, says the drive-in.

I guess you can say any damn thing you can think of to neighborhood groups.

F*cking horrible that this is even allowed to happen.  But it's consistent with the awful Office Depot, the Walgreens and Reasor's that have ruined what could be a semi-urban, walkable part of the city. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:27:58 pm by SXSW » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2018, 11:00:15 pm »

F*cking horrible that this is even allowed to happen.  But it's consistent with the awful Office Depot, the Walgreens and Reasor's that have ruined what could be a semi-urban, walkable part of the city. 

The Office Depot is actually a re-worked Safeway store which is technically a "walkable" urban model with the exception of the wide curb cuts on Lewis.  Oh, and that south parking area which is never used aside from delivery trucks.  Back when the Delman Center was where Walgreen's is now, it was pretty much a walkable utopia.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2018, 07:36:22 pm »

The Office Depot is actually a re-worked Safeway store which is technically a "walkable" urban model with the exception of the wide curb cuts on Lewis.  Oh, and that south parking area which is never used aside from delivery trucks.  Back when the Delman Center was where Walgreen's is now, it was pretty much a walkable utopia.

I’ve seen pictures of what it used to look like and it’s sad to see what it looks like now.  Lewiston Gardens and Yorktown are such nice neighborhoods too.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org