A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:47:03 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW QT - 15th and Lewis  (Read 50347 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2018, 07:41:12 pm »

IIRC, The Delman theater was a burned out hulk and there was damage from the fire to the rest of the structure on that corner. It sat after the fire with the roof and other parts open to the elements which caused water to leak into the other businesses.

Damage, roof repairs, replacing all of the HVAC equipment and asbestos are what did that corner in. The repairs and asbestos abatement were more than the buildings were worth. 

In 1979, the building became the Appollo-Delman, and

was transformed from a movie theater into a concert hall.

Entertainers Harry Chapin, Henny Youngman, Bo Diddly,

Millie Jackson, Chuck Berry and Gus Hardin performed there.

And the acoustics were good enough that Hank Williams

Jr. considered recording an album in the theater.

Appollo Projects Inc., the company that operated the

Delman through its concert years, went bankrupt in 1980.

The building has been closed, and deteriorating, since.

"It's not economically feasible for the building to

be maintained," said Mrs. Moskowitz. "It needed a new

roof and air conditioning. And the property was not usable

because of asbestos. The owners decided if they were going

to spend the money necessary to take the asbestos out, they

should just go ahead and level it."

https://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/the-end-being-shot-at-delman-tulsa-theater-coming-down/article_7e767f89-69d1-5a29-9909-002699497427.html
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:22:14 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2018, 03:54:28 pm »

IIRC, The Delman theater was a burned out hulk and there was damage from the fire to the rest of the structure on that corner. It sat after the fire with the roof and other parts open to the elements which caused water to leak into the other businesses.

Damage, roof repairs, replacing all of the HVAC equipment and asbestos are what did that corner in. The repairs and asbestos abatement were more than the buildings were worth. 

https://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/the-end-being-shot-at-delman-tulsa-theater-coming-down/article_7e767f89-69d1-5a29-9909-002699497427.html

I didn't remember a fire there and it was lost on me that it sat vacant for 9 years, funny how we forget things.  Wasn't Massad's in the part of the building which paralleled Lewis to the north of the theater?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2018, 05:31:15 pm »

I didn't remember a fire there and it was lost on me that it sat vacant for 9 years, funny how we forget things.  Wasn't Massad's in the part of the building which paralleled Lewis to the north of the theater?

Yes, Massad's. I shopped with ex-wife #2 and a couple of other women I dated there. The owner was always complaining about the roof leaking when it would rain, and it had a kind of musty mold smell to the place.

You could see scorch marks along the window openings of the second floor and west side of the theater I think in about 1983 or so, and they just boarded it up. It's sad, but at that time big theaters were dead except for the Bowman Twin and it's life was short at that time. The Southroad's, Village at Admiral and Garnett, Woodland Hills, Fox, Parklane were being devided into two screen houses, The Continental, Will Rogers were gone, The Brook fortunately was saved, I remember going to see "Brookside Babylon" comedy play in 1982. Everything else was shoebox size theaters, and the only drive ins were The TeePee in Sapulpa, The Admiral Twin (which was falling into disrepair and the one on 71st in BA.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:35:19 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2018, 07:31:24 am »

I confirmed with Sonic staff that this is happening by October.
The greenspace QT promised to the neighbors?  "It will be one big parking lot" from 15th to 16th streets, says the drive-in.

I guess you can say any damn thing you can think of to neighborhood groups.

Maybe QuikTrip can install one of those corner signs like the "Pearl District" sign at 11th and Utica.  They can call it "Concrete Corner".
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2019, 12:53:33 pm »

Maybe QuikTrip can install one of those corner signs like the "Pearl District" sign at 11th and Utica.  They can call it "Concrete Corner".

https://tulsaok.tylertech.com/EnerGov4934/SelfService#/permit/484dc307-f13f-463d-9137-45739fd2b471

Then goto "Supporting Docs" and look at ZON_LOD_21865 Quik Trip.doc.pdf

Commercial Architectural Plan Review 
"Our review has identified the following code omissions or deficiencies..."

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2023, 01:49:56 pm »

This is what QT should've done at this intersection.  Hopefully this is a template they can use for urban locations in the future, or to rebuild existing QT's in urban areas like at 15th & Denver, 11th & Utica and 36th & Peoria...

QT in downtown Ft Worth

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2023, 05:15:32 pm »

This is what QT should've done at this intersection.  Hopefully this is a template they can use for urban locations in the future, or to rebuild existing QT's in urban areas like at 15th & Denver, 11th & Utica and 36th & Peoria...

QT in downtown Ft Worth

Is it ADA compliant?  I don't see a wheel chair ramp.

buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2023, 09:36:25 pm »

I don't know that I consider 15th and Lewis "downtown". But also I'd argue that meets ADA. The main entrance is with the pumps or the ADA parking spots on the non-street side. ADA doesn't mean that all entrances have to be wheelchair accessible. There is a way for people for people at the stair entrance to get into the building via public sidewalks then turning into the parking lot as well. It's definitely not ideal, but texas requires plan reviews to go a separate office of accessibility and they are more strict than anything I have encountered in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, or here in Oklahoma.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2023, 08:07:02 am »

Quite a change from this up until about 2019:

https://goo.gl/maps/MXwaWgK32mXiYwtg6

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2023, 10:45:53 am »

But, they insisted this was impossible at both 11th and Peoria and 15th and Lewis. I guess they care more about other markets than their own home market of Tulsa. They also know planning will just roll over for them no matter what they want to do anywhere in this city.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2023, 02:08:20 pm »

But, they insisted this was impossible at both 11th and Peoria and 15th and Lewis. I guess they care more about other markets than their own home market of Tulsa. They also know planning will just roll over for them no matter what they want to do anywhere in this city.

Likely a combination of designers not caring/knowing to push this to their client QT and our outdated planning regulations that allow this type of development in urban areas.  Kudos for Ft Worth for getting this built.  I know we have the C-store only QT in the BOK Tower and Atlanta has a streetfront C-store, I'm not aware of any other QT's with pumps behind the corner store?

Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2023, 04:19:50 pm »

Not a QT, but I happened upon this gas station on N High Street in Columbus, Ohio that has the store fronting the street with the pumps behind.  It can be done!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2023, 02:02:04 pm »

Not a QT, but I happened upon this gas station on N High Street in Columbus, Ohio that has the store fronting the street with the pumps behind.  It can be done!

That's fantastic, probably the best one I've ever seen.  Bravo Columbus!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2023, 05:07:28 pm »

QT in downtown Ft Worth

How odd....none of the pics showed up in my screen until I clicked to reply.  Then the links to the pics showed up, so guess I don't need to ask where the pics are now...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org