A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:31:13 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does erasing history cure racism?  (Read 53839 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2017, 01:50:59 pm »

I'm sure you can find an ad absurtum example of  someone calling for anything to be removed.  Not sure how the Schooner or Pistol Pete could be seen as racist, but hey, lets all grab torches and march to support statutes to the Confederacy because someone could possibly think they are.

Better yet, make LSU change the name "Tigers" because its lame.  GO TIGERS!  Is that the LSU, Auburn, or Missouri Tigers of the SEC? 

That was my point that the absurdity has begun. As for OU & OSU, I was being tongue and cheek that since they represent white settlers that the Native Americans might ask for a change.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2017, 02:12:38 pm »

IF OSU changes their mascot, they''ll lose that sweet royalty thing they've got with NMSU
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_Pete_(New_Mexico_State_University)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2017, 03:16:13 pm »

IF OSU changes their mascot, they''ll lose that sweet royalty thing they've got with NMSU
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_Pete_(New_Mexico_State_University)

$10/year.     And don't forget Wyoming.  The third Cowboy, with a Pistol Pete mascot.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2017, 04:12:30 pm »

Ahole at Slate targeted Dixie Stampede in Tennessee?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2017, 07:38:56 pm »

Ahole at Slate targeted Dixie Stampede in Tennessee?

I'll do the work for you...

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2017/08/visiting_dolly_parton_s_dinner_show_dixie_stampede.html

Have never been there or to the Medieval Times things.  You can just tell by all the hype surrounding these that it is shallow, bad-acting, and poor food.  Harris verified that by saying food was ok, but not quite up to Cracker Barrel.  I have no idea how she really feels about CB, but it really sucks!!  So this place must be truly horrible food.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2017, 10:00:03 pm »

That was my point that the absurdity has begun.

TULSA, Okla. - The Brady Arts Business Administration voted on Friday to rename downtown Tulsa's Brady Arts District.
A new name has not yet been chosen and a timeline of the association's next steps is expected to be released in the coming days

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2017, 06:38:09 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/letters/letter-to-the-editor-tulsa-s-latest-version-of-the/article_96c544be-50d1-5ec3-bfc2-6b6862d68a17.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2017, 01:10:33 am »

I'll do the work for you...

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2017/08/visiting_dolly_parton_s_dinner_show_dixie_stampede.html

Have never been there or to the Medieval Times things.  You can just tell by all the hype surrounding these that it is shallow, bad-acting, and poor food.  Harris verified that by saying food was ok, but not quite up to Cracker Barrel.  I have no idea how she really feels about CB, but it really sucks!!  So this place must be truly horrible food.

I've been there probably 6 times. Great entertainment (especially the Christmas show), good value, and the food is fine. Kids love it, and very family friendly.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2017, 09:51:05 am »

National Geographic report on Charlottesville.

This is what Alt-Right and White Power groups do for a statue. This is what Trump and the right claims have moral equivalency with any other Americans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDIfPhx-Fm0
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2017, 07:13:16 am »

National Geographic report on Charlottesville.

This is what Alt-Right and White Power groups do for a statue. This is what Trump and the right claims have moral equivalency with any other Americans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDIfPhx-Fm0

Just another fake news source unfairly showing groups devoted to hate saying hateful things and assaulting people. Sure, every Nazi, Klansman, and white nationalist there was there to advocate for oppression of most of American Citizens.  And yes, they showed up with body armor, weapons, firearms, shields, torches, etc. with the intent of instigating conflict.   And yes, the vast majority of counter protesters were nonviolent, had signs about love, included clergy and much prayer. But don't forget there were some counter protesters who advocated hate of Nazis and said they would fight back.

So basically, totally the same thing.

WHITE power!  Jews will not replace us!  I mean, lots of blame on many sides.

[sarcasm label shouldn't be needed]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2017, 09:07:39 am »

I've been there probably 6 times. Great entertainment (especially the Christmas show), good value, and the food is fine. Kids love it, and very family friendly.

We go by there enough that it would be easy to drop in and see it...just haven't yet.  Guess we could just go to Branson, too...     Equal time event - go there to eat...after all, I have eaten at Chic-Fil-A on occasion.  Not very often, because it isn't very good either.

Love your comment, "food is fine"...  Just as I suspected - not as good as Cracker Barrel !!  And CB still sucks...

I want to see all the monuments/statues left intact as they are and ADD plaques or whatever it takes to tell the rest of the story - the WHOLE story behind what was happening at the time.  Stories about Lee.  Jefferson Davis.  As is the case with Washington and the boys, there are nuances to the stories.  How would we be taught about them if England had won?  Either war.  And how would that have impacted the southern issue if we were English?   England abolished slavery in 1833.  Would the Civil War have happened then - in 1833?  (C) 2017 Heironymouspasparagus

Hey, I think I just came up with an idea for a dystopian novel !!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:09:39 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2017, 11:52:12 am »

And then there is always something there to remind you.... we have progressed not one iota.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-says-black-democrat-missing-150325014.html

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2017, 09:40:03 am »

The Tulsa School Board decision regarding what to do about Lee Elementary School’s name isn’t going to come quickly.
The board, three members explained to the World, wants to take a deliberate approach to consider not just the name of the school, which honors a Civil War Confederate general, but to evaluate every school name in the district, potentially looking at names such as Columbus, Jackson and Lewis & Clark.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/education/not-wanting-to-rip-the-band-aid-off-too-quickly/article_940744a6-71fc-5096-aa09-e8b8c5d2e101.html

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2017, 09:42:18 pm »

Principals say school name change proposal lacks support
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-principals-say-name-change-proposal-lacks-support/article/5563545

The leaders of three schools named after Confederate generals said there is no support for a name change.

"I've had very few parents come and give me their opinion about the name," said Theressa Manzanedo, the principal of Stand Watie Elementary. "They just know that Stand Watie is their elementary school and they care very much about their school."

Manzanedo said she doesn't really have an opinion about the name and is "more worried about the students inside."

The same goes for her staff.

"They're more concerned about what goes on inside the building than what goes on outside," she said.

Lee Elementary School Principal Amy Daugherty said renaming the school, 424 SW 29, is not a priority based on feedback she's received from staff, parents and community members.

"They very clearly stated that they did not want the name changed, that it's history for them," she said. "Many of them don't care who the school was named after, they just know it as Lee Elementary."

At Jackson Enterprise Elementary School, 2601 S Villa, Principal Patrick Duffy said he has "not fielded any phone calls or concerns or complaints."

"I want to make sure when they come to school they feel comfortable and safe and that includes the name of the school as well as what takes place inside the school," he said. "If that requires a name change then we should have a name change."

Last month, following racial violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, Oklahoma City Public Schools Superintendent Aurora Lora said that some facilities named after "historical" figures do not "reflect our values in 2017."

She will present a plan for community engagement to the school board on Sept. 25. Members, who have the authority to rename a school, will decide if and how they would like to proceed.

While a majority of school board members have said they would be in favor of renaming schools named after Confederate officers, some have questioned the need for Lora to engage the communities surrounding the schools.

Charles Henry addressed the school namesakes and their link to slavery at Tuesday night's board meeting. Henry, who is black, said public input isn't necessary. He said the men for whom the schools are named represent "symbols of slavery."

"I encourage the board to vote unanimously to remove these names without any need to hear from others," Henry said at the meeting. "Legalized rape, legalized murder, legalized child molestation should never be honored or tolerated."

Board member Carrie Coppernoll Jacobs said she thinks the schools should be renamed but questions the need for public input.

"I agree with (Henry), that we don't necessarily need community meetings about whether to change the name," she said. "My concern is that it's going to be a platform for hate. I don't want it to attract people who are going to say hateful things about our students."

Jacobs, who represents Jackson, said she has received a lot of feedback on the issue and "some of it has been flat-out racist."

"Not all of it, but some of it has been awful and those people don't get a platform in a real conversation about the future names of those schools," she said.

"I think it's always wise to communicate with the communities, but in this case since it's such a divisive issue, I think it's going to attract people who don't have the right to be part of the conversation."

Jackson, Lee and Stand Watie, 3517 S Linn, are south Oklahoma City schools that serve mostly Hispanic students.

School board member Rebecca Budd, whose district does not include one of the three schools, said most of the responses she is getting are not coming from the directly affected areas.

"They're coming from the larger Oklahoma City area," she said. "The communities themselves are not responding."

Budd pointed out that board policy doesn't require community engagement when it comes to renaming a school.

"I think we have a great board policy and if members of the community would like to see the name changed they have the opportunity to submit alternatives for us to consider, which provides those communities opportunities to voice their desires," she said.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2017, 08:22:17 am »

OKC schools are going through the same paroxysms.  They put out a call for comment and apparently got 2.  Total as of this morning.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org