A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:06:33 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does erasing history cure racism?  (Read 53843 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2017, 08:28:40 am »

Yes, the ESPN thing was ridiculous.  But not sure how that was racism - they essentially stuck him in a closet because of his name, not because of his race.  Lets not confuse all stupid things with racism.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2017, 08:36:11 am »

Yes, the ESPN thing was ridiculous.  But not sure how that was racism - they essentially stuck him in a closet because of his name, not because of his race.  Lets not confuse all stupid things with racism.

I believe one could call it an over-reaction to racism because of his name and it being a Virginia game.  It’s still a product of racist issues, apparently. 

Much like hypersensitivity over statues or school names.

I’m curious how many Robert Lees one would find on the tax rolls in the Commonwealth of Virginia?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rebound
City Father

« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2017, 08:56:40 am »

I believe one could call it an over-reaction to racism because of his name and it being a Virginia game.  It’s still a product of racist issues, apparently. 

Much like hypersensitivity over statues or school names.

I’m curious how many Robert Lees one would find on the tax rolls in the Commonwealth of Virginia?

It's frustrating to see honest and reasonable discussions go down the rat hole of over-sensitivity and misdirection.

Of course pulling the announcer is a result of the near-term hyper-sensitivity. I personally don't agree with it, but I get it.  Right now, at this moment, maybe some discretion is called for.

Or maybe not.   

But that's a separate (albeit related) argument from the over-arching issue of race hatred and whether our not we should promote (via statues, school naming, etc...) those people that perpetuated institutions and social structures (and actually seceded and fought - and lost - a war to that effect)  that are now seen by the vast majority of our society to be unacceptable.

Again, I'm not arguing for or against changing the name of Lee School, but I do understand and appreciate that our understanding, impression, and support of various issues does change with time.   This is not "white-washing" or "removing history".  No one is advocating for an erasure of Lee's name (or even the Confederate battle flag) from the history books, but rather that these symbols should no longer be promoted in society today.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2017, 09:30:21 am »

You know what cures racism? More racism. This ESPN mess with Robert Lee is unbelievable. 

I would google search where you got that image, but I don't feel like finding you on Stormfront yet again. Someone else want to run an image search and see where 'ol Guid has been?
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2017, 10:27:51 am »

Six Flags Amusement Parks now to be American Flag Amusement Park.

Texas' most iconic amusement park, Six Flags Over Texas, scuttled its 56-year tradition Friday of flying the emblems of all the nations that had reigned over the Lone Star State amid growing criticism of reminders of the Confederacy.

The park, which has affiliated theme parks across the country, will now fly only the American flag on its properties, a company representative said in a statement to news outlets.

“We always choose to focus on celebrating the things that unite us versus those that divide us," said spokeswoman Sharon Parker. "As such, we have changed the flag displays in our park to feature American flags."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/08/19/six-flags-over-texas-only-fly-american-flags/582935001/

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/arlington/article167953237.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:29:29 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2017, 12:40:56 pm »

Going to take a long time digging up Arlington, 'cause guess whose front yard that was?

More obscure history... I was hoping someone would have picked up on my thinly-veiled reference to director Ang Lee, whose film "Ride With The Devil" was booted out of theatrical release because he had the gaul to include historically-accurate black Confederates.
It made some people uncomfortable, having to pick up a history book.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2017, 02:19:27 pm »

Going to take a long time digging up Arlington, 'cause guess whose front yard that was?

More obscure history... I was hoping someone would have picked up on my thinly-veiled reference to director Ang Lee, whose film "Ride With The Devil" was booted out of theatrical release because he had the gaul to include historically-accurate black Confederates.
It made some people uncomfortable, having to pick up a history book.

There were slaves that were forced to be laborers and camp servants for Confederate troops and at times forced to fight as well. The idea of black soldiers proudly and willingly fighting for the south is a fiction and another example of revisionist history. The story of slaves pressed into service to fight to preserve their own bondage is not a positive for the south. Sorry.

https://www.civilwar.org/learn/articles/black-confederates
TeeDub
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2017, 02:39:23 pm »

There were slaves that were forced to be laborers and camp servants for Confederate troops and at times forced to fight as well. The idea of black soldiers proudly and willingly fighting for the south is a fiction and another example of revisionist history. The story of slaves pressed into service to fight to preserve their own bondage is not a positive for the south. Sorry.

According to the History channel....
The Confederacy didn't even allow black troops until March of 1965 (One month before the war was over?)
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/confederacy-approves-black-soldiers

Stupid revisionist history.
Though no one knows for sure, the number of slaves who fought and labored for the South was modest, estimated Stauffer. Blacks who shouldered arms for the Confederacy numbered more than 3,000 but fewer than 10,000, he said, among the hundreds of thousands of whites who served. Black laborers for the cause numbered from 20,000 to 50,000.
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2011/09/black-confederates/

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2017, 02:44:47 pm »

Six Flags Amusement Parks now to be American Flag Amusement Park.

I'm disappointed to see that.  Flying the Confederate Flag along side the French, Spanish, Mexico, Republic of Texas, and American flags makes sense.  It wasn't glorifying the Confederacy or trying to "send a message." Unless the argument is that they were also glorifying France and Spain.   There were not statutes of Cornwallis or Hitler next to the statutes of Lee to commemorate people we have defeated - there was one theme.  To me, the 6 flags are more akin to having a statute of Robert E. Lee at some battlefield upon which he fought along with other generals and monuments to the same.

But... their company, their decision.  Rebrand if you want to I guess. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2017, 04:54:42 pm »

I'm disappointed to see that.  Flying the Confederate Flag along side the French, Spanish, Mexico, Republic of Texas, and American flags makes sense.  It wasn't glorifying the Confederacy or trying to "send a message." Unless the argument is that they were also glorifying France and Spain.   There were not statutes of Cornwallis or Hitler next to the statutes of Lee to commemorate people we have defeated - there was one theme.  To me, the 6 flags are more akin to having a statute of Robert E. Lee at some battlefield upon which he fought along with other generals and monuments to the same.

But... their company, their decision.  Rebrand if you want to I guess. 

I wonder how Silver Dollar City would respond. Smiley

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2017, 08:55:17 am »

College mascots now signs of white supremacy and racism. Could the Sooner Schooner and Pistol Pete be next?

LSU Tiger
Louisiana State University named their mascot the Tigers, and they named it during the height of Jim Crow South. This was a time when black men feared for their lives, and were treated as sub human. This symbol is the most prevalent confederate symbol in the United States.
These powerful white males choose the Tiger as a symbol to honor a confederate regiment called Louisiana’s Tigers. They were known for their propensity for violence on and off the battle field. They were just as violent to the black slaves they owned, and later even more violent once those slaves were set free.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/lsu-football-students-cite-racism-in-petition-to-change-tiger-mascot-060217

USC Trojans
When Richard Saukko galloped his chalk-white Arabian horse named Traveler around the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum almost 56 years ago, it was supposed to be a one-time stunt.

Instead, the brief performance before USC kicked off its season against Georgia Tech turned into one of college football’s iconic traditions. A succession of white horses named Traveler have followed — Traveler IX debuts this fall — trotting out of the tunnel as “Conquest” plays and the costumed Trojan warrior atop the horse waves a sword. But during a rally earlier this week to show solidarity in the aftermath of the violence in Charlottesville, Va., a USC campus group linked the name to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, whose favorite horse was Traveller.

At the rally, according to the student newspaper the Daily Trojan, Saphia Jackson, co-director of the USC Black Student Assembly, asked students not to be quiet, and reminded that “white supremacy hits close to home” and referenced the name of the Trojans mascot.

The Black Student Assembly did not respond to requests for comment, but questions about the name’s provenance have increased on social media in the midst of the national discussion on race.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-usc-traveler-20170818-story.html
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2017, 11:15:37 am »

College mascots now signs of white supremacy and racism. Could the Sooner Schooner and Pistol Pete be next?

...or segue into the "war on drugs?"

To an earlier comment, black men were not allowed to fight alongside white men in the Union army.  It wasnt until the creation of a segregated "colored regiment" that blacks could serve.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2017, 12:23:15 pm »

To an earlier comment, black men were not allowed to fight alongside white men in the Union army.  It wasnt until the creation of a segregated "colored regiment" that blacks could serve.

Thanks Denzel.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2017, 12:38:04 pm »

I'm sure you can find an ad absurtum example of  someone calling for anything to be removed.  Not sure how the Schooner or Pistol Pete could be seen as racist, but hey, lets all grab torches and march to support statutes to the Confederacy because someone could possibly think they are.

Better yet, make LSU change the name "Tigers" because its lame.  GO TIGERS!  Is that the LSU, Auburn, or Missouri Tigers of the SEC? 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2017, 01:44:46 pm »

The LSU "mascot changing lynch mob"  sounds pretty formidable
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org