A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:25:10 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tornado slip thru the cracks?  (Read 42162 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: August 06, 2017, 10:30:10 am »

A tornado is believed to have spun up last night over the Promenade Mall, and moved so fast thru Midtown and East Tulsa that it was out of the city before the sirens could be sounded.

https://mediaweb.fox23.com/photo/2017/08/06/PATH_1502015077885_8783770_ver1.0_640_360.png

A spokesperson from the city of Tulsa explained why the city did not activate sirens Sunday morning:

"The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning at 1:25 a.m. This particular storm spun up at such a quick rate between scans of the radar and by the time the NWS issued the warning the storm was crossing into Broken Arrow jurisdiction at a high rate of speed. At this point, Tulsa did not activate the sirens because the NWS said the storm cell had moved into Broken Arrow. The TAEMA director called BA emergency management director and insured they had they same information so they could activate the BA sirens."

Tornado sirens sounded in Broken Arrow when a Tornado Warning was issued at 1:25 a.m.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 10:45:30 am »

A tornado is believed to have spun up last night over the Promenade Mall, and moved so fast thru Midtown and East Tulsa that it was out of the city before the sirens could be sounded.

https://mediaweb.fox23.com/photo/2017/08/06/PATH_1502015077885_8783770_ver1.0_640_360.png

A spokesperson from the city of Tulsa explained why the city did not activate sirens Sunday morning:

"The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning at 1:25 a.m. This particular storm spun up at such a quick rate between scans of the radar and by the time the NWS issued the warning the storm was crossing into Broken Arrow jurisdiction at a high rate of speed. At this point, Tulsa did not activate the sirens because the NWS said the storm cell had moved into Broken Arrow. The TAEMA director called BA emergency management director and insured they had they same information so they could activate the BA sirens."

Tornado sirens sounded in Broken Arrow when a Tornado Warning was issued at 1:25 a.m.

And then I see people on FB and other social media blaming the TV meteos for 'not getting it right'.  Meteos tell people that even if a storm isn't expected to create a tornado, they can sure as hell spin up from one regardless.  People need to stay weather aware and stop being lazy.  And get a damned weather radio.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 11:22:44 am »

DUI checkpoint planned for Tulsa on Saturday

Tulsa police, Tulsa County Sheriff's deputies and Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers will establish the checkpoint Saturday, Aug. 5 in the area of 41st Street and Sheridan Road.

No time frame has been specified for the checkpoint; typically they are in place from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/dui-checkpoint-planned-for-tulsa-on-saturday/article_4c7d949e-0782-568b-8dcc-b9b1893205a6.html

God said No.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 11:24:15 am »

And then I see people on FB and other social media blaming the TV meteos for 'not getting it right'.  Meteos tell people that even if a storm isn't expected to create a tornado, they can sure as hell spin up from one regardless.  People need to stay weather aware and stop being lazy.  And get a damned weather radio.

Weather radios are replaced by smart phone apps, but they become useless when the cellular network is congested or damaged.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 11:38:19 am »

Some of the photos by Tom Gilbert.   http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/weather/photo-gallery-damage-from-sunday-s-storm/collection_a7fa0498-565f-5b08-914c-abe4215b828a.html 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 04:32:09 pm »

The neighborhood lost power before the tornado touched down, leaving a lot of people unaware of the storm warnings, said resident Rachel Anderson.
"A lot of people, like me, went back to sleep and thought everything was OK," she said. "But they're waking up this morning to realize that everything is not OK."

A neighbor's tree collapsed on top of Sam Yell's cars, an SUV and Honda Civic parked his driveway near Whiteside Park.
A storm alert popped up on his phone, but only after the damage had already been done, he said.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/ef-tornado-injures-at-least-causes-extensive-damage-in-parts/article_f181726e-7aac-11e7-9d5f-3b2744d1f2ca.html

My beef with local media storm apps is they are bandwidth hogs bloated with self-promotion that clog networks and arent likely to be of real use in a real disaster.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 05:56:36 pm »

The neighborhood lost power before the tornado touched down, leaving a lot of people unaware of the storm warnings, said resident Rachel Anderson.
"A lot of people, like me, went back to sleep and thought everything was OK," she said. "But they're waking up this morning to realize that everything is not OK."

A neighbor's tree collapsed on top of Sam Yell's cars, an SUV and Honda Civic parked his driveway near Whiteside Park.
A storm alert popped up on his phone, but only after the damage had already been done, he said.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/ef-tornado-injures-at-least-causes-extensive-damage-in-parts/article_f181726e-7aac-11e7-9d5f-3b2744d1f2ca.html

My beef with local media storm apps is they are bandwidth hogs bloated with self-promotion that clog networks and arent likely to be of real use in a real disaster.

Yeah, let's let that not save lives then.   Roll Eyes

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 07:04:49 pm »

The weather men smile the bed on this one....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 08:22:25 pm »

The weather men smile the bed on this one....

Forecasting weather is not a perfect science.

Once again you provide nothing of substance to the discussion....

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 08:29:10 pm »

Yeah, let's let that not save lives then.   Roll Eyes

Trim some of the bandwidth-intensive promotional bloat so they dont bring down servers and cell towers when 10,000+ people log on.

Updated map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=17XOFju_b0dzJR07qmfTy5yRNhAM&ll=36.09125151175993%2C-95.82598424999998&z=12

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 08:35:56 pm »

Forecasting weather is not a perfect science.

Once again you provide nothing of substance to the discussion....

Lol...Nice try...They screwed the pooch.....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 08:50:11 pm »

Lol...Nice try...They screwed the pooch.....

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 09:05:46 pm »

I'm just west of yale. It came out of nowhere and while they say nothing west of yale was hit by the tornado, I'm not sure I believe it. I had stuff against my house, in a corner, under an overhang, where the wind can barely blow thrown out into my yard. Healthy trees twisted and snapped. It was sudden and it sounded like a disaster movie.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 09:08:55 pm »

Weather radios are replaced by smart phone apps, but they become useless when the cellular network is congested or damaged.

A weather radio with a battery back-up is a wise choice.

No excuses.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 10:58:12 pm »

A weather radio with a battery back-up is a wise choice.

No excuses.

I actually have three (two initially one for me and one for my mother when she was still with us).  I sort of bought another as I bought a Uniden Home Patrol scanner.  It has a weather radio built in.  Works quite well.The dedicated weather radios I do have are:

http://www.reecominc.com/r1650.htm

http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=84

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org