A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:12:52 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50 US cities pen letter to FCC demanding net neutrality, democracy  (Read 30089 times)
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 09:30:47 am »

Net Neutrality isn't about cost-of-service or increasing regulation.

It's about keeping the "it's illegal to censor internet traffic" regulations in place.
The regulation that says your service provider (be it home or cell-phone provider) can't censor the net.  Or charge you more to be able to visit certain websites.
And/or charge content providers to get preferential service on their network.
TeeDub
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 01:22:21 pm »

Network neutrality stops ISPs from charging the cost causers (ie. Google, Netflix, Amazon) a higher price for the delivery of their content.   The cost causers have not contributed anything to very ISPs that allow them to provide the services (and make a tidy profit).   Large, for-profit companies should have to contribute to the installation and maintenance that enables them to sell subscriptions to customers.

It isn't going to "censor the internet" or anything else stupid.   It is going to force the people who cause the ISP to increase back haul to pay their fair share.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 01:28:30 pm »

Network neutrality stops ISPs from charging the cost causers (ie. Google, Netflix, Amazon) a higher price for the delivery of their content.   The cost causers have not contributed anything to very ISPs that allow them to provide the services (and make a tidy profit).   Large, for-profit companies should have to contribute to the installation and maintenance that enables them to sell subscriptions to customers.

It isn't going to "censor the internet" or anything else stupid.   It is going to force the people who cause the ISP to increase back haul to pay their fair share.

The solution is simple:  the end user could pay for the amount of data they consume.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 02:33:40 pm »

The solution is simple:  the end user could pay for the amount of data they consume.

Usage isn't like water or electricity. It isn't a finite resource. The infrastructure for bandwidth is costly but only incrementally so and actual usage doesn't cost anything at all to the ISP.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 03:19:51 pm »

Usage isn't like water or electricity. It isn't a finite resource. The infrastructure for bandwidth is costly but only incrementally so and actual usage doesn't cost anything at all to the ISP.

And since I have a good idea of where you work (or at least worked) I'll trust your judgement on that.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 03:58:39 pm »

Costs on equipment really aren't that big in the overall scheme of things...especially when compared to revenues generated by the monopoly they enjoy.  Labor is a big chunk, but even that pales in comparison to the money coming in. 

Such a bargain compared to the first small cable assembly I made many years ago - about $15 a foot for cable;

http://store.cablesplususa.com/dx144dwls9kr.html?utm_source=dx144dwls9kr&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsJLjyqqW1QIVFNwZCh2QqwnnEAYYASABEgLfePD_BwE

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TeeDub
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 07:46:50 pm »

I wish that was the case...   I am not talking about the infrastructure...   I am talking about the port and connection fees.  

The cost of backhaul does go up rapidly.  (Rather it starts expensive and the price per meg goes down slowly.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:53:20 pm by TeeDub » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 07:18:38 am »

I wish that was the case...   I am not talking about the infrastructure...   I am talking about the port and connection fees.  

The cost of backhaul does go up rapidly.  (Rather it starts expensive and the price per meg goes down slowly.)

That's what happens when you live in a non-capitalistic society that caters to the highest bidder for each and every Congressman. 

It's a capitalistic monopolism system.  An oligarchy.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TeeDub
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 12:44:15 pm »

That's what happens when you live in a non-capitalistic society that caters to the highest bidder for each and every Congressman.  

It's a capitalistic monopolism system.  An oligarchy.

What?   No, its what happens when regulators force companies to lower rates to customers and make up for it by billing businesses (who then are forced to raise rates to customers.)

Do you have any idea what it costs to get a 1Gbps Ethernet circuit?  (Hint:  Over $2k/month.)   If you promise customers 100 Mbps that is only 10....   But then you have to count on some not being home, not using the full pipe, etc...   So you sell that same service to 30 or 50...    

At $2k/month that is $40-$66 a month without ANY infrastructure costs....  
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 08:34:06 am »

What?   No, its what happens when regulators force companies to lower rates to customers and make up for it by billing businesses (who then are forced to raise rates to customers.)

Do you have any idea what it costs to get a 1Gbps Ethernet circuit?  (Hint:  Over $2k/month.)   If you promise customers 100 Mbps that is only 10....   But then you have to count on some not being home, not using the full pipe, etc...   So you sell that same service to 30 or 50...    

Wow!   What a shame you don't really understand how the system really works...!

As for the access, well those are the internet equivalent of overbooking as seen in airline industry.  AT&T showed the world how that is done...and they are arguably still the best at it.

Retail $2k a month.  Price gouging all the way....

TeeDub
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 08:15:10 am »

Wow!   What a shame you don't really understand how the system really works...!

It's a system that pays my salary.    Sad I don't know anything about it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 08:17:44 am »

Then it's not surprising you have the stance that you do....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 09:08:33 am »

Yes, it is.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 02:51:43 pm »

Yes, I know what circuits cost. I was just working on a new contract for a 10g circuit. A bit over $7k per month. Oh, and earlier I was working on a storage array upgrade but had to order some 10g fiber cables from CDW.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 11:21:56 am »

Former FCC head dismantles case for abandoning net neutrality.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40445949/ex-chair-tom-wheeler-dismantles-fccs-argument-to-abandon-net-neutrality

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org