A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:38:20 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Research Help: History of Tulsa Planning Commission  (Read 2065 times)
DouglasMiller
Tourist

« on: July 08, 2017, 08:20:19 am »

Greetings, fellas. I'm new to the forum but this seems to be the perfect place to look for help. I'm currently writing an book that includes some history on the development of the Civic Center in the context of Tulsa's first two development plans: The 1924 "Tulsa Plan" and the 1929(30) "Bartholomew Report." Washington University in St. Louis is the repository for Harland Bartholomew's archive and I have a request into them for copies of the original report and any background work HBA may have archived on their study of Tulsa in 1928/29. However, I can find NOTHING about the 1924 Tulsa Plan other than one picture of their vision of a Civic Center integrated with Union Depot. Beyond that one rendering and a few mentions in the preface of environmental impact statements, it's like it never really happened. I can't even find it mentioned in the newspapers from that era. Can any of you offer any help?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 11:50:40 am »

I am asking around. I saw the map of that plan years ago.

I am going to that university a bunch in the next few months if I can be a courier for you.

Power is nothing till you use it.
DouglasMiller
Tourist

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:08:01 pm »

I really appreciate it. I might be heading to St. Louis myself next week. But if that doesn't work out, I'll definitely let you know if I need some help. Thanks!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:27:41 am »

Here is what my historian mother wrote me...

Of course I used to have a copy but no more.
The plan was at Tulsa historical society last I knew. Ian Swartz should know. It is priceless.

For many years I was curator of the most memorial part of the plan and could instantly provide it to Rodger Randle, Susan savage, et al, when they needed a quick inspirational passage. I still have that beautiful paragraph.

I could tell you what I know, if helpful.

Private message me and I will connect you with her...

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:06:17 am »

m

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org