A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:22:21 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Large riverfront property for sale, comes with house.  (Read 24360 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: July 07, 2017, 05:45:32 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/artsandentertainment/arts-council-to-sell-historic-harwelden-mansion/article_a17b07c1-522b-5367-af1c-54abdb122d1b.html

AHCT selling Harwelden.
(Also TulsaNow's physical address)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 09:18:40 pm »

Nuttin like the Blair mansion....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 10:03:29 pm »

Well, if I hadn’t already purchased a B & B...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 07:41:58 pm »

Well, if I hadn’t already purchased a B & B...

Franchise opportunities?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 09:30:33 pm »

Franchise opportunities?

Heeeyyyy!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 10:35:44 am »

Big enough property to bulldoze and put in quite a few condos...!

Bring on the wrecking balls!!  Would love it if they would salvage the brick - I could use a few thousand of those for a house!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 10:52:12 pm »

Not ready to downsize yet.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 08:46:37 am »

Bring on the wrecking balls!!  Would love it if they would salvage the brick - I could use a few thousand of those for a house!

I doubt that would happen, but I could see the property being subdivided.  However the location right next to Riverside and the steep slope there complicates things.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 09:06:45 am »

I doubt that would happen, but I could see the property being subdivided.  However the location right next to Riverside and the steep slope there complicates things.

All the developer has to do is pay the zoning "fees"...to the right people, of course...

Look right across the street - in two directions.  Condo's/apartments, etc.   Money is King!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 10:07:39 am »

If I’m not mistaken (which is rare for me not to), isn’t Harwelden on the National Register?  That would pretty well put the kibosh on a rape & scrape, though I don’t believe it would stop the development of the lower part of the property which would be a shame as green space is a disappearing commodity and it is a nice view from atop the hill.

Some of my favorite all-time pics of my wife and my wife and I were taken during the Gatsby Picnic the Art Deco Society had on the grounds six or seven years ago.  Several of this forums contributors were there that day.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 12:06:27 pm »

If I’m not mistaken (which is rare for me not to), isn’t Harwelden on the National Register?  That would pretty well put the kibosh on a rape & scrape, though I don’t believe it would stop the development of the lower part of the property which would be a shame as green space is a disappearing commodity and it is a nice view from atop the hill.

Some of my favorite all-time pics of my wife and my wife and I were taken during the Gatsby Picnic the Art Deco Society had on the grounds six or seven years ago.  Several of this forums contributors were there that day.

Nice distant memories.  Keep the pics.  I'm betting on rape and scrape.  It's Tulsa...it's what we do.

And yeah, I probably AM feeling particularly 'pissee' today...

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 07:25:02 pm »

If I’m not mistaken (which is rare for me not to), isn’t Harwelden on the National Register?  That would pretty well put the kibosh on a rape & scrape, though I don’t believe it would stop the development of the lower part of the property which would be a shame as green space is a disappearing commodity and it is a nice view from atop the hill.

Some of my favorite all-time pics of my wife and my wife and I were taken during the Gatsby Picnic the Art Deco Society had on the grounds six or seven years ago.  Several of this forums contributors were there that day.

It is on National Register, but not in a historic zone. Tear down is more difficult, but not out of the question.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 01:26:55 pm »

This property is in an ideal spot to bridge the residential area that surrounds it with the entrance to the Gathering Place. They should absolutely keep the house and (hopefully before the sale) split the lot so that the south side can be used to build some sort of development that would complement the Gathering Place and Blue Rose nearby.

I think a condo development with retail/restaurant space with a big patio would be awesome. Basically something like the building Roosevelt's is in could be neat right there and would compliment the buildings around there well. A rooftop restaurant would be really awesome.

The green space there is nice and I hope whoever buys it keeps as many trees as possible, but I wouldn't mind more density right there where downtown tapers off into condos and houses. Really would be a great opportunity for someone.

I wonder if the house could be converted into something or use it as it currently is (Office & Events) or perhaps a bed and breakfast.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 02:13:41 pm »

I know it's not quite riverfront, but there are 3 properties right on 21st south of Boston and by Main that are vacant and have been for a long time. The massive for sale sign should be converted to a permanent fixture at this point after 10 or so years. What a waste of decent property to be vacant so long after the last building was bulldozed (I believe a Shriner building). It is owned by "TUDORS FLATS LLC" and looks like they planned to put the same housing that is between there and the Harwelden. I think they did a nice job making some neat homes. I guess they found there was a limit to how many they could sell and put a stop to it or maybe they're hoping for a big payday from the lot.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 02:24:08 pm »

Nice distant memories.  Keep the pics.  I'm betting on rape and scrape.  It's Tulsa...it's what we do.

And yeah, I probably AM feeling particularly 'pissee' today...

If those properties a block away aren't selling after a decade, will the Harwelden do much better in the eyes of a developer looking to build? Even if it is split up, it seems like it might be another place which will sit as a vacant lot for years. It is not like you can see the river from that spot or that it actually connects to the main part of the Gathering Place. It will just be close to the new sidewalk. Does anyone think they will pay so much to demolish such a multi-million-dollar mansion for more empty lot space currently zoned single-family when there's a few lots available a block away already zoned correctly and more ready to build?

I'm guessing a rich person will buy this and put up a nice big fence or a business/non-profit will use it similar to how it is currently (and it will likely take a long time to sell if they want $5-7 million). I think the mansion is almost certainly safe just based on the financial feasibility of spending 4-7 million to get a lot worth half of that. You would have to be crazy (or stupid) to demolish it OR have such a massive planned development that it would be no big deal to wast that much (not likely).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org