A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:48:44 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need wood utility poles. Local sources?  (Read 26337 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 09:04:16 am »

Now this is hilarious to happen after your post yesterday.

I’d had a representative come out from our electrical co-op a few weeks back to discuss adding a second meter on our property for a second structure I want to build.  He noted our original pole was getting along in years and marked it for replacement.  I forgot the conversation until this morning when three trucks from the Springer Co-op showed up to replace the pole.  I told them to leave the old one since I might eventually put together a mountain bike skills course on our property.  Now, if you care to drive out to Cimarron to pick it up, you’d be welcome to it.  Wink

I bet that original one was more than 50 years old!  Those things last forever!  I got a couple like that when replaced at parents house.  Still haven't figured out what to do with them...they were cut up and a little too short for what I need now.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 08:12:03 pm »

Now this is hilarious to happen after your post yesterday.

I’d had a representative come out from our electrical co-op a few weeks back to discuss adding a second meter on our property for a second structure I want to build.  He noted our original pole was getting along in years and marked it for replacement.  I forgot the conversation until this morning when three trucks from the Springer Co-op showed up to replace the pole.  I told them to leave the old one since I might eventually put together a mountain bike skills course on our property.  Now, if you care to drive out to Cimarron to pick it up, you’d be welcome to it.  Wink

Yea, thats a bit of a drive. But thanks for the offer!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 01:32:14 pm »

I bet that original one was more than 50 years old!  Those things last forever!  I got a couple like that when replaced at parents house.  Still haven't figured out what to do with them...they were cut up and a little too short for what I need now.

According to the aluminum tag, 6/30/1950 so 67 years....almost.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 03:10:36 pm »

According to the aluminum tag, 6/30/1950 so 67 years....almost.

No surprise.   

Another thing I see all over northeast Oklahoma are small concrete bridge sides, many painted yellow now.  If one slows down and looks closely at the end, there is often a stamp from the WPA and the date.  There was one by some friends place in BA at 81st and 145th until just a few years ago when they widened the road to 3 lane.

Antique bridges that still work great.  Just like the state parks built by the CCC.  Infrastructure projects like we won't see again anytime soon.  Especially with the Cheetoh in Chief.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 01:59:56 pm »

Artist,  did you ever get the pole you wanted?

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 09:27:16 pm »

Artist,  did you ever get the pole you wanted?

Nope, but I figured out a workaround.  I bought some large PVC pipe and scraped it up and down with really rough sandpaper and gouged it a bit here and there, then used wood stain and brushed on a woodgrain like finish onto the roughed up pipe.  Worked like a charm!  I was also able to use a 4 way tee, cross fitting to extend the "mast" all the way to the ceiling and add the "yard" to hold the sail up over the second floor balcony area. 

Working at the store for Christmas right now but come next year hope to have a big tiki party at the house and invite everyone over to see the "Scurvy Parrot Hideaway" out back!

Oh, and the pond is going to have a sign calling it the "Jolly Piranha Lagoon" , the waterfall "Ooga Mooga Falls", and the bar will be called the "Archorbottom Tavern".  ;-P

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 08:43:23 am »

Nope, but I figured out a workaround.  I bought some large PVC pipe and scraped it up and down with really rough sandpaper and gouged it a bit here and there, then used wood stain and brushed on a woodgrain like finish onto the roughed up pipe.  Worked like a charm!  I was also able to use a 4 way tee, cross fitting to extend the "mast" all the way to the ceiling and add the "yard" to hold the sail up over the second floor balcony area. 

PVC is Great Stuff!   Nice!  Gotta get in to check it out!

We were looking at birch trees for over a week, up close and personal.  SWMBO wanted me to cut some down for her and bring them back as checked baggage.  Just a few logistics issues with that plan...    So, last weekend while looking around one of the craft stores she comes up to me with a birch stick - made of PCV!  Problem almost solved.  Also found some wrapping paper that is birch bark texture, so now all the pieces are starting to come together.  Gonna try to make some birch logs this weekend.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 12:16:42 pm »

PVC is Great Stuff!   Nice!  Gotta get in to check it out!

We were looking at birch trees for over a week, up close and personal.  SWMBO wanted me to cut some down for her and bring them back as checked baggage.  Just a few logistics issues with that plan...    So, last weekend while looking around one of the craft stores she comes up to me with a birch stick - made of PCV!  Problem almost solved.  Also found some wrapping paper that is birch bark texture, so now all the pieces are starting to come together.  Gonna try to make some birch logs this weekend.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun project!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org