A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:14:50 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need wood utility poles. Local sources?  (Read 26341 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: June 04, 2017, 02:59:18 pm »

Anyone have an idea where I can get a couple of wood utility poles?  Would be fine if they are used.  Have hunted online with no success for something local.

I am wanting one for inside the tiki bar we are building in the back yard and it has about a 16' high ceiling (its going to be a ships mast) and would like one or two more to cut down outside to make them look like wood piering with rope wrapped around them for around the porch and a "bridge".

Any help would be appreciated!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 03:11:40 pm »

Anyone have an idea where I can get a couple of wood utility poles?  Would be fine if they are used.  Have hunted online with no success for something local.

I am wanting one for inside the tiki bar we are building in the back yard and it has about a 16' high ceiling (its going to be a ships mast) and would like one or two more to cut down outside to make them look like wood piering with rope wrapped around them for around the porch and a "bridge".

I have been looking for two as an entry gate - keep us posted if you find something.  Everything I have seen is shipped in.  Was going to call PSO and ask if they would sell a couple, or Verdigris Valley Electric, since that is closer to the fence.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 04:38:27 pm »

There are a couple of ads on craig's list right now for telephone poles.

This is the newest one:

Used telephone poles $150
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mat/6114181571.html

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:57:07 pm »

There are a couple of ads on craig's list right now for telephone poles.

This is the newest one:

Used telephone poles $150
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mat/6114181571.html

Excellent, I tried crags list but was typing in Utility poles as that was what seemed to be the best search on google.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 09:29:23 pm »

Be aware of the chemicals used to preserve the poles.  You may not want them in your yard.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 07:33:59 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/05/us/utility-poles-cited-as-chemical-danger.html

http://www.herinst.org/sbeder/CCA/cca.html#.WTVdX-vyupo

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/aess/2014/167971/

Power is nothing till you use it.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 08:06:57 am »

Excellent, I tried crags list but was typing in Utility poles as that was what seemed to be the best search on google.

I have to admit, as an old-school "rural Okie",  I had to think a minute when I read "utility poles" in your first post.  Then I read the description of what you wanted to do, and was "Oh!  telephone poles!"   You can only take the boy so far out of the country.  Smiley

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 08:52:13 am »

That just takes all the fun out of it...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 11:27:31 pm »

I have to admit, as an old-school "rural Okie",  I had to think a minute when I read "utility poles" in your first post.  Then I read the description of what you wanted to do, and was "Oh!  telephone poles!"   You can only take the boy so far out of the country.  Smiley

They are the unofficial tree of the Oklahoma Panhandle.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 08:52:14 am »

They are the unofficial tree of the Oklahoma Panhandle.

Have some family in Cotton County...they say there are 3 kinds of trees there -  telephone poles, Cottonwoods, and dead Cottonwoods.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 09:35:29 am »

Have some family in Cotton County...they say there are 3 kinds of trees there -  telephone poles, Cottonwoods, and dead Cottonwoods.

Cotton County shout out!  Where do your people live?  I'm from North of Walters, but went to Geronimo HS.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 09:56:22 am »

Cotton County shout out!  Where do your people live?  I'm from North of Walters, but went to Geronimo HS.

Not real sure - I never got down there to visit.  They always came here, but I it was south of Temple, on the TX border - seems like they said they could see Texas on a bad day.  Any time ya gotta look at TX has gotta be a bad day, lol...!   About an 800 acre farm.  The old folks have all passed, and the kids (my age) have pretty much all moved on now.  Just one or two of their kids stayed around - still farming last I heard.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 12:50:03 pm »

Not real sure - I never got down there to visit.  They always came here, but I it was south of Temple, on the TX border - seems like they said they could see Texas on a bad day.  Any time ya gotta look at TX has gotta be a bad day, lol...!   About an 800 acre farm.  The old folks have all passed, and the kids (my age) have pretty much all moved on now.  Just one or two of their kids stayed around - still farming last I heard.

Ah, way down South.  That explains the Cottonwoods.   They are all over the place down along the Red River.   Good country down there, but not much to do.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 01:51:30 pm »

Ah, way down South.  That explains the Cottonwoods.   They are all over the place down along the Red River.   Good country down there, but not much to do.

Plenty to do - Farm cotton!

I think that is why so many left.  One of the patriarchs was born with brother and sister on the family farm and lived there (grad Temple High) - he was a petroleum geologist who was making a living when so many were not.  His brother took over the place until he died probably 20 years ago or so.  Literally traveled the world and did ok.  

Lots of the descendants down there that I have no clue about.  Tough to keep up with family when the count tops 7 or 8 hundred....have trouble keeping up with my 30 descendants and 5 cousins...

Taught at TU for quite a while, long ago.  Had a place in Pacific NW that has since been overrun by yuppies from CA, jacking the property taxes up to the point where they had to sell the place 'cause of the huge numbers.  CA Yuppies came to area, saw it and said hey, we wanna move here to escape the CA lifestyle they were in.  Instead, they brought it with them.  Exactly like what is happening in little towns around Tulsa now.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 10:51:19 pm »

Now this is hilarious to happen after your post yesterday.

I’d had a representative come out from our electrical co-op a few weeks back to discuss adding a second meter on our property for a second structure I want to build.  He noted our original pole was getting along in years and marked it for replacement.  I forgot the conversation until this morning when three trucks from the Springer Co-op showed up to replace the pole.  I told them to leave the old one since I might eventually put together a mountain bike skills course on our property.  Now, if you care to drive out to Cimarron to pick it up, you’d be welcome to it.  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org