A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:49:24 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Midtown Village - new store(s)  (Read 20245 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 01:07:03 pm »

Yeah, but back in the 80's TGI Friday's was huge deal.   I can't remember which Dallas location it was, but the Friday happy hour was a big thing.   You often couldn't get in the bar area.   Over time it mainstreamed and gentrified and lost it's luster.   

Ok, I will admit to it right now...we went to Friday's a few weeks ago.  (Let the shaming begin...)  Wanted to try the endless apps thing just to see how it was.  In the past, I have always liked the potato skins.  This trip made us realize why it has been about 20 years since we were there.  Will likely be another 20.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 01:24:01 pm »

The exits from 44 makes it really difficult to access that shopping center if you ask me.

Is that Best Buy even still open. I honestly hardly go down that stretch of 44.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 03:26:31 pm »

The exits from 44 makes it really difficult to access that shopping center if you ask me.

That has always been an issue going back to when Smugglers Inn opened up along that stretch. JMO  that area has always had issues in the neighborhood between the access road and 51st and from Yale to where the village is now. Seems like it was the mid to late 70'summer that the apartments in that area slid downhill and the the Hilton started it's decay in the 80's.

From some things I've read about that area it just hasn't really recovered, and the Village is still not that easy to get into and out of.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 05:52:39 am »

All two stores in that center are open and seem to do decent business.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 05:54:24 am »

Would you say that TGI Friday's lost it's flair?

I see what you did there.

I also went a few months ago. I used to eat there almost weekly with coworkers, but haven't in about 10 years. Kinda sorry I went back.

Also ate at the one that was in the airport, which wasn't really the same, also not really good either.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 10:24:01 am »

I see what you did there.

I also went a few months ago. I used to eat there almost weekly with coworkers, but haven't in about 10 years. Kinda sorry I went back.

Also ate at the one that was in the airport, which wasn't really the same, also not really good either.

Restaurants like TGI Friday's and Applebee's are slowly dying across the country.  Good riddance.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 10:32:38 am »

Would you say that TGI Friday's lost it's flair?

Ooops, wrong flair......
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2017, 10:43:22 am »

Restaurants like TGI Friday's and Applebee's are slowly dying across the country.  Good riddance.

There is some truth to this, and casual dining places are having to rethink how they do business by adding delivery since Millennials can't let go of doing everything from an app and staring at their phones.

http://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-endanger-casual-dining-restaurants-2017-5

But I also think the type of dining has changed from national chain to locally owned places to a degree.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2017, 11:29:34 am »

Sadly, one of my favorites that I have not been able to go to for several years - near 41st and Memorial is gone - building bulldozed and leveled.  Ich-ban.  Next to Tulsa Stained Glass.  Huge loss for Tulsa!!  Or at least me personally.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2017, 03:49:45 pm »

The place where I volunteer gave me a gift card for Outback Steakhouse last Christmas and yesterday I had some time on my hands and was around 41st and Yale so I figured I'd go have lunch at Outback which is a short distance away.  There was quite a bit of traffic and I had to pull in rather quickly entering the parking lot where there were several cars.  It was around 1:30.  I sat in the bar at a high top, chose a nice grilled chicken meal and when it came time to pay, I laid my gift card on top of the check.  The waitress, who had been quite good, cleared her throat and said "That's an Outback Steakhouse card!"  After a couple of seconds of awkward silence, I realized that I was at Applebees.  In my haste, I just pulled in the parking lot with all the cars in it.  As I left, I noticed that Outback Steakhouse next door had exactly one car in it's parking lot.  I figure I came out ahead.

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2017, 04:39:07 pm »

The place where I volunteer gave me a gift card for Outback Steakhouse last Christmas and yesterday I had some time on my hands and was around 41st and Yale so I figured I'd go have lunch at Outback which is a short distance away.  There was quite a bit of traffic and I had to pull in rather quickly entering the parking lot where there were several cars.  It was around 1:30.  I sat in the bar at a high top, chose a nice grilled chicken meal and when it came time to pay, I laid my gift card on top of the check.  The waitress, who had been quite good, cleared her throat and said "That's an Outback Steakhouse card!"  After a couple of seconds of awkward silence, I realized that I was at Applebees.  In my haste, I just pulled in the parking lot with all the cars in it.  As I left, I noticed that Outback Steakhouse next door had exactly one car in it's parking lot.  I figure I came out ahead.

I don't think Outback serves lunch.
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2017, 05:31:21 pm »

I don't think Outback serves lunch.

Their website has a lunch menu and says they're open at 11am.  Based on the last meal we had there last year, may not make it back, even with a gift card...

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2017, 11:19:56 pm »

Sounds like she deserved a really good tip...!!

Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 07:52:52 am »

She got one.  I've never been a huge fan of Applebee's (first one I've been to in 5-6 years), but I have to say the lunch I had was good.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2017, 07:57:42 am »

Re outback:    Went there (Yale location) for lunch a few weeks ago (gift card in hand).  We were early birds (11:10am) and were the first ones there.  Started to fill up as we left.   A bit pricey for what it was.  But everything was tasty.

Went to that Applebees a few months ago.  I felt like I had entered a time-warp.   Same interior from 20 years ago... very dingy, tattered, and worn.  Service was terrible.    Meal was fittingly meh.

TLDR:  Outback > Applebees

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org