A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:35:37 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Midtown Village - new store(s)  (Read 20236 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 12:22:57 pm »

I have heard that the owner of the property doesn't want any restaurants there. Which to me seems really odd.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 12:36:19 pm »

Maybe the owner has stake in some of the surrounding area chains/joints, and doesn't want to drive away business from those restaurants?
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 01:04:24 pm »

Maybe the owner has stake in some of the surrounding area chains/joints, and doesn't want to drive away business from those restaurants?

Elliot Nelson's reaction:
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 01:53:58 pm »

There is a Ron's at the Farm, and Claud's on Peoria isn't that far away.   But I think if you are going to anchor that center with a burger joint, it's going to have to be a "name" chain.  I'm not a fan, but I do think a Smashbrothers would probably work well there.

Shame on you!!   Invoking the Smash's....!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 02:22:06 pm »

I believe there was an interview with the owner who said the food chains don't believe it has enough visibility/traffic and the big retailers won't come to a center with no restaurants.

Still surprised it doesn't at least have a subway. I'm pretty sure my backyard has a subway.
LeGenDz
Activist

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 04:27:47 pm »

What happened with the Pappadeaux rumor going in?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 09:06:01 am »

WHAT???   How did I miss that...?   We need Pappadeaux so bad.!!  I have had to make special trips to Dallas in the past just to go there!  Expensive dinner that....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 09:18:41 am »

I don't recall that ever being a rumor.   It was mentioned that it would be a great fit, but nothing that I remember regarding it actually happening.

TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 10:47:19 am »

I guess I don't get all of the Pappadeaux love. I saw that some were gushing over the thought of one coming into the old Spaghetti Warehouse spot in another thread.
Why is this such a desirable chain? I find it on par with Jazmos.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 10:55:26 am »

I guess I don't get all of the Pappadeaux love. I saw that some were gushing over the thought of one coming into the old Spaghetti Warehouse spot in another thread.
Why is this such a desirable chain? I find it on par with Jazmos.

It's called "restaurant envy" it's an affliction that Tulsa has had since the 70's. I can remember in the early 80's when a lot of people were so excited to get TGI Friday's and Bennigan's and they wouldn't have to go to Dallas to eat at one anymore.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 11:01:21 am »

I find it on par with Jazmos.

No. Better menu and a touch more upscale. Service/Food quality is always good especially for a chain as large as this. And there are 29 in Texas so Okiess in general are pretty familiar with them.

I used to frequent the Oak Lawn location WAY too much.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 11:37:05 am »

It's called "restaurant envy" it's an affliction that Tulsa has had since the 70's. I can remember in the early 80's when a lot of people were so excited to get TGI Friday's and Bennigan's and they wouldn't have to go to Dallas to eat at one anymore.

Yep!   Probably a big dose of that - but since it is 'forbidden' to us hear, makes it wanted all the more.  If there was one here, I might become complacent and just say, "Ho, hum..."  But the crawfish ettouffe...maybe I wouldn't become compacent!

rebound
City Father

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 12:05:07 pm »

Yeah, but back in the 80's TGI Friday's was huge deal.   I can't remember which Dallas location it was, but the Friday happy hour was a big thing.   You often couldn't get in the bar area.   Over time it mainstreamed and gentrified and lost it's luster.   

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 12:52:48 pm »

Restaurant envy is alive and well here, but it is not unique to Tulsa.  I remember living in Washington, DC when Cheesecake Factory opened in Bethesda and people went bonkers.  A group from my office took a 30 minute subway ride just to eat lunch.

Given all hotels at I44 and Yale, there should be a lot of demand for several restaurants in this center.  Perhaps it is because of the negative impression after sitting nearly empty for so long, but I thought this center would finally take off once the I44 widening project was completed.  Unfortunately, given the retail/big box store climate, it may have missed its chance and never fulfill its potential.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 01:05:15 pm »

Yeah, but back in the 80's TGI Friday's was huge deal.   I can't remember which Dallas location it was, but the Friday happy hour was a big thing.   You often couldn't get in the bar area.   Over time it mainstreamed and gentrified and lost it's luster.   

Would you say that TGI Friday's lost it's flair?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org