A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:40:18 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smitty's Garage @ 71st & SheridanGRILLED JALAPEÑO BACON CHEESER  (Read 18607 times)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 07:11:25 pm »

As a category, “atmosphere” is pretty vague and even more subjective than quality of food or service.  What to rate somewhere very clean and newly remodeled, but with boring or clichéd décor?  Even a low rating for atmosphere does not mean it’s a bad place to eat or one I wouldn’t go to a lot.  I happen to love Claud’s and Bill’s Jumbo Burger, but would give them no better than 2 stars for atmosphere.  Both are cramped with little seating, the seating they have is uncomfortable, and there is a greasy film on everything.  However, they crank out great burgers that keep me coming back.

I was thinking along this same line a day or so ago regarding atmosphere for a burger joint, and how there does need to be some differentiation between various levels of expectation depending upon the type of establishment and Bill's Jumbo Burger was top of mind.   See, I'd give Bill's five stars for atmosphere because it is EXACTLY what I want and expect from that type of place, greasy film and all.  Claud's is also great, but (to me) almost too clean for a true dive hamburger place.  All of those similar places (Bill's, Claud's, Linda Mar, Hank's, et al...) can't be compared to a Smashburger-type place, because the expectation is completely different.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 08:16:54 am »

I was thinking along this same line a day or so ago regarding atmosphere for a burger joint, and how there does need to be some differentiation between various levels of expectation depending upon the type of establishment and Bill's Jumbo Burger was top of mind.   See, I'd give Bill's five stars for atmosphere because it is EXACTLY what I want and expect from that type of place, greasy film and all.  Claud's is also great, but (to me) almost too clean for a true dive hamburger place.  All of those similar places (Bill's, Claud's, Linda Mar, Hank's, et al...) can't be compared to a Smashburger-type place, because the expectation is completely different.

My first expectation is a great burger.  The Smash 5's are ok - they are edible - but the actual burger itself at all of those others is better.  And costs less.  Yeah, I do like the greasy film, 'cause that shows lots of experience at doing it right, but a clean place can be good - Claud's...I am going with what you say there 'cause it has been decades since I was there.  And no, I don't know why - I remember liking it a lot.

Like Del Rancho in OKC area, not pretty places, but the chicken fried steak rivals Nelson's.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 08:24:12 am »

Agreed.

Bill’s, like the original Ron’s which used to be at 15th & Harvard is the quintessential burger joint.  A few stools and a counter in a filthy old building.  Ron would order x amount pounds of meat every day, when he ran out, it was time to close.  None of these chains have near the character of the little joints. 

It may be cooked the same but I’ll probably never believe that a Ron’s burger at any of the franchise locations is near as good as what you'd get at 15th & Harvard with Ron Baber cooking on the flat top.  He had an ancient battered aluminum lid from some unknown pot or kettle he placed over the patties while they cooked.  I don’t know that I’ve ever seen someone cook with the intensity and passion as Ron did.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 09:03:07 am »

Bill's Jumbo Burgers inspires poetry. They will sell hundreds and hundreds of burgers out of a place smaller than my kitchen at home. My office sometimes stops working and demands Bill's Big Red burgers or they walk.

Any list of burger joints that doesn't have Bill's in the top two is fake news.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 09:44:50 am »

He had an ancient battered aluminum lid from some unknown pot or kettle he placed over the patties while they cooked.  I don’t know that I’ve ever seen someone cook with the intensity and passion as Ron did.

I use the lid-over-burger method at home most of the time.  There is something about that "steaming" that definitely adds to the flavor.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 09:47:08 am »

It's burger discussions like this that make me want to go to LA to visit family and friends and look for good burgers. This is a place I have been to that was outstanding but unfortunately the property owner sold the building and it's soon to close.

https://goo.gl/maps/WT8V42Hw7dU2
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 07:57:06 am »

It's burger discussions like this that make me want to go to LA to visit family and friends and look for good burgers. This is a place I have been to that was outstanding but unfortunately the property owner sold the building and it's soon to close.

https://goo.gl/maps/WT8V42Hw7dU2

Well, that just sucks a big green one... that burger looked great!!   I have family that travels there regularly, now I cant tell them about that place...

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 10:59:10 am »

Send them here, they won't be disappointed.

http://www.hawkinsburgers.com/

https://la.eater.com/maps/best-los-angeles-burgers-essential

http://www.lamag.com/digestblog/50-best-burgers-la/

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:02:39 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 11:21:23 am »

Or if get out to the suburbs of Anaheim - on east Chapman is Angelos 2.  Wow!  And a Winchell's donuts right next door!!
They don't even have a website - THAT is how good they are!!

https://www.mapquest.com/us/california/restaurants-garden-grove/angelos-2-11511813

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 02:28:33 pm »

As a category, “atmosphere” is pretty vague and even more subjective than quality of food or service.  What to rate somewhere very clean and newly remodeled, but with boring or clichéd décor?  Even a low rating for atmosphere does not mean it’s a bad place to eat or one I wouldn’t go to a lot.  I happen to love Claud’s and Bill’s Jumbo Burger, but would give them no better than 2 stars for atmosphere.  Both are cramped with little seating, the seating they have is uncomfortable, and there is a greasy film on everything.  However, they crank out great burgers that keep me coming back.

It is subjective as all restaurant ratings are, but if a pretty run of the mill place is 5 star, then just about every new place is also so that category is almost worthless. Claud's and Bill's might be 2/3 star in atmosphere but the food is delicious and Bill's 5 star food makes it 5 stars overall for sure. If there wasn't great food, the atmosphere alone wouldn't bring in customers so 2-3 stars makes sense but I can see rebound's point that it could be higher.

If you give a place 5 stars, you're saying that's as good as it gets (in it's category).

Maybe some people take the "atmosphere" category too literally and look only at cleanliness and quality of facilities. I would consider overall decor, uniqueness and vibe of the place important also. So Bill's might be old and a bit greasy, but the feel of a small old hamburger shack makes it better to some than a brand new chain with no soul. There are quite a few "greasy spoon"/dive fans.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org