A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:26:53 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad day for me (and I'm sure other fans)  (Read 13508 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: May 18, 2017, 08:37:41 am »

I grew up on a pretty heavy dose of hard rock/heavy metal in my late teens/early twenties.  I then got hooked on the 'grunge' movement that started with bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

My jam however, was mainly Soundgarden.

Chris Cornell (the lead man/singer for Soundgarden as well as other bands later like Audioslave) passed away early this morning after a concert he did in Detroit.  He was just 52 years old.

Wherever he is now, he's likely jamming with Kurt and Layne....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/05/18/soundgarden-frontman-chris-cornell-dead-at-52/

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:09:27 am »

Him and Andrew Wood is another. The impetus for Temple of the Dog. Them and AIC were my absolute (to this day actually) jams. My little high school jam band must have played Outshined so much it ain't funny. When Soundgarden broke up you'd think they should have cancelled school it was such a major thing.

I watched a thing on them that I think Guitar Center was doing, showing footage from SXSW. This was just a few years ago, and they still had it. Just unbelievable assemblage of musical talent. Truly unique even in their day in age.

And I don't recall what this clip was ripped from, but it is Dave Grohl discussing his first listen to Black Hole Sun (from SuperUnknown). His recounting of his reaction is priceless. And considering the mark Nirvana put on the scene, this reaction from him is even more powerful, and respectful.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33j157

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 11:42:53 am »

Him and Andrew Wood is another. The impetus for Temple of the Dog. Them and AIC were my absolute (to this day actually) jams. My little high school jam band must have played Outshined so much it ain't funny. When Soundgarden broke up you'd think they should have cancelled school it was such a major thing.

I watched a thing on them that I think Guitar Center was doing, showing footage from SXSW. This was just a few years ago, and they still had it. Just unbelievable assemblage of musical talent. Truly unique even in their day in age.

And I don't recall what this clip was ripped from, but it is Dave Grohl discussing his first listen to Black Hole Sun (from SuperUnknown). His recounting of his reaction is priceless. And considering the mark Nirvana put on the scene, this reaction from him is even more powerful, and respectful.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33j157

Grohl has always been very respectful of other bands that have influenced him.  He got his biggest influence from the NoVA punk scene back in the 80s.  When he moved to Seattle for Nirvana, some of that followed..mainly because him, Kurt and Krist were kindred spirits musically.

I got to see Dave with FF in 2011.  Best damn concert I've been to.  Plus, unlike many artists, he wasn't pillaging people at the gate.  I got my tickets lower bowl for 47 dollars.  Floor seats were  the same.  They were on stage nearly 2.5 hours.  Incredible show.

I'm sad I never got to see Cornell/Soundgarden/Audioslave etc live.  I understand he was superb live.

Music has gone in the crapper ever since.  With the advent of ProTune and Autotuning.  It takes the skill out of being a musician and turns it into 1s and 0s.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 12:08:10 pm »

Grohl has always been very respectful of other bands that have influenced him.  He got his biggest influence from the NoVA punk scene back in the 80s.  When he moved to Seattle for Nirvana, some of that followed..mainly because him, Kurt and Krist were kindred spirits musically.

I got to see Dave with FF in 2011.  Best damn concert I've been to.  Plus, unlike many artists, he wasn't pillaging people at the gate.  I got my tickets lower bowl for 47 dollars.  Floor seats were  the same.  They were on stage nearly 2.5 hours.  Incredible show.

I'm sad I never got to see Cornell/Soundgarden/Audioslave etc live.  I understand he was superb live.

Music has gone in the crapper ever since.  With the advent of ProTune and Autotuning.  It takes the skill out of being a musician and turns it into 1s and 0s.

While I am not a huge Foo Fighters fan per se, I have alweays appreciated Grohl's respect for music in general, no matter the form or style. That and he just has the attitude of "I just want to jam, I don't care who with". It's that kind of attitude that drew so many people in to that style of music in that time period. And it's a product of him being a part of the Seattle scene for a bit, where bands there were all pretty co-mingled. If you haven't already you should watch the Carmeron Crowe bio PJ20. It obviously centers on Pearl Jam (a major influence on Crowe), but it obviously discusses the scene there quite a bit.

I'm not trying to liken myself to him (Grohl), but I kind of have the same view, that good music transcends genres.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 12:24:01 pm »

Missed him by just a week:
http://www.fox23.com/news/chris-cornell-rocklahoma-headliner-dies-at-52/523823718

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 12:43:22 pm »

While I am not a huge Foo Fighters fan per se, I have alweays appreciated Grohl's respect for music in general, no matter the form or style. That and he just has the attitude of "I just want to jam, I don't care who with". It's that kind of attitude that drew so many people in to that style of music in that time period. And it's a product of him being a part of the Seattle scene for a bit, where bands there were all pretty co-mingled. If you haven't already you should watch the Carmeron Crowe bio PJ20. It obviously centers on Pearl Jam (a major influence on Crowe), but it obviously discusses the scene there quite a bit.

I'm not trying to liken myself to him (Grohl), but I kind of have the same view, that good music transcends genres.

I loved Crowe's pseudo biographical "Almost Famous".  What a great movie that was.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 12:45:25 pm »

I just read he hung himself. So sad.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 12:49:24 pm »

Thought this was a thread about Roger Ailes.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 02:51:16 pm »

I just read he hung himself. So sad.

A prelim report had mentioned that but there was no confirmation.  Can you cite a relevant source that confirms it?  If so, incredibly sad.  Him and Layne Staley doing that.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 02:52:42 pm »

A prelim report had mentioned that but there was no confirmation.  Can you cite a relevant source that confirms it?  If so, incredibly sad.  Him and Layne Staley doing that.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/representative-rocker-chris-cornell-died-age-52-47480300

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 03:30:16 pm »

Damn..

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 03:42:51 pm »

You have to wonder how this happens when he was still writing and performing.  It’s not like he was a forgotten has-been musician living on skid row.

Depression is a mysterious and very deadly disease.

There again, Michael Hutchence was reported as a suicide but later his wife was saying it was auto-erotic asphyxia. 

No matter the reason, RIP Chris.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 04:28:29 pm »

You have to wonder how this happens when he was still writing and performing.  It’s not like he was a forgotten has-been musician living on skid row.

Depression is a mysterious and very deadly disease.

There again, Michael Hutchence was reported as a suicide but later his wife was saying it was auto-erotic asphyxia. 

No matter the reason, RIP Chris.

One of my best friends committed suicide about 8 years ago without any heads up.  I mean, he had just lost the remaining members of his family in the previous three years (older brother and mother) but he seemed to be doing ok aside from the disability he was on from hurting his back working welding.  No outward signs.  He never asked anyone for help and never talked to any of us.  Just took his 1911 Springfield and put it in his mouth and did the deed.  Took 3 days for anyone to find him since he was living alone.  Mental illness needs to be taken seriously.

Since I live alone now, I tell all my friends and family to check on me if they haven't heard from me or seen me in a continuous 72 hour period.  Not because I'm depressed (maybe a little but I manage) but you just never know.  I will usually check in on Facebook so people typically know I'm OK and work serves as a safe haven also. 

We're losing way too many great old talents in the last few years.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 04:32:25 pm »

One of my best friends committed suicide about 8 years ago without any heads up.  I mean, he had just lost the remaining members of his family in the previous three years (older brother and mother) but he seemed to be doing ok aside from the disability he was on from hurting his back working welding.  No outward signs.  He never asked anyone for help and never talked to any of us.  Just took his 1911 Springfield and put it in his mouth and did the deed.  Took 3 days for anyone to find him since he was living alone.  Mental illness needs to be taken seriously.

Since I live alone now, I tell all my friends and family to check on me if they haven't heard from me or seen me in a continuous 72 hour period.  Not because I'm depressed (maybe a little but I manage) but you just never know.  I will usually check in on Facebook so people typically know I'm OK and work serves as a safe haven also. 

We're losing way too many great old talents in the last few years.

I also lost a friend, about seven years ago now. But he left behind a wife and two sons. So tragic. He'd struggled with depression for years but I had talked to him just a week before and he sounded so good. I'm pretty sure there are people on here that knew AP. Heartbreaking.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 04:19:22 pm »

And of course now his family are disputing the findings saying he committed suicide.  They said right before it happened they talked to him and he sounded like he was slurring his speech and may have taken more than his reccommended dose of Ativan.

The following is quoted from an article in the Toronto Sun.

“Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris — or if any substances contributed to his demise,” Pasich said in a statement released to The Associated Press. “Chris, a recovering addict, had a prescription for Ativan and may have taken more Ativan than recommended dosages.

“The family believes that if Chris took his life, he did not know what he was doing, and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions.”

Even so, he did it.  My experience with suicide is that if you need drugs to induce it, the tendency was always there.  Sad all the way around.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org