A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:59:18 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Ch 8 meteorologist defects  (Read 12123 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: May 03, 2017, 03:07:00 pm »

So earlier in the week, it was reported that KTUL Chief Meteorologist Mike Collier resigned suddenly.

Today, he announced that he will be taking on the Chief duties at KJRH Channel 2.  I am unsure of the timeline and what will happen to their current chief (Brett Anthony).

I never disliked Brett, but always felt like he was out of place here.  I think he pined a little for his old home back in KC.  I think it's smart to keep local meteorologists in the area, especially the lead guys.

Channel 8 seems to have horrible turnover when it comes to their weather personnel.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 03:27:38 pm »

I'm in the never liking Bret camp, so good for Mike.

Channel 8 always looks like 1987 to me.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:37:35 pm »

Channel 8 always looks like 1987 to me.

KTUL is a Muskogee station that happened to be located in Tulsa.

Tall tower = Farm Report.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:28:32 am »

I may be in the minority, but I like Brett. He doesn't get hyped up during severe weather and keeps a nice, even keel. 

I can't watch KOTV during severe weather as Travis is just too much to handle. It's too bad he isn't the one retiring rather than Dick Faurot.

KTUL seems to be stuck in some sort of time warp, so much so that I think they are unwatchable. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched their newscast for anything. As a result I know nothing of Mike Collier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:56:01 am »

I couldn’t agree more about the time warp at Channel 8. 

I’m curious if KJRH has gotten more aggressive at trying to get better on air talent.  Tony Russell recently left KOTV for KJRH.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 09:22:55 am »

I couldn’t agree more about the time warp at Channel 8. 

I’m curious if KJRH has gotten more aggressive at trying to get better on air talent.  Tony Russell recently left KOTV for KJRH.

Wow, that's new (about Tony Russell) to me.

Yeah, I think the fiasco with Dan Threlkeld kind of put KJRH in a bad spot.  I didn't dislike Brett Anthony, but he wasn't local and felt out of place.  Collier should be a better fit I think.  I'm curious who KTUL will get to replace him.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 10:06:19 am »

I may be in the minority, but I like Brett. He doesn't get hyped up during severe weather and keeps a nice, even keel. 

I can't watch KOTV during severe weather as Travis is just too much to handle. It's too bad he isn't the one retiring rather than Dick Faurot.

KTUL seems to be stuck in some sort of time warp, so much so that I think they are unwatchable. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched their newscast for anything. As a result I know nothing of Mike Collier.

No opinion on Brett, but I love it when the weathermen get excited during storms.   I can't remember which one it was, but a few years ago when there were a bunch of tornadoes the same day,  one of them (while there were multiple tornadoes on the ground tearing stuff up) said something like: 

"This is so exciting!   It's so hard to keep up with everything going on!  Really impressive weather tonight!" - pause -  "I mean, its terrible that people's homes and property are getting impacted by all this, but as a weatherman this is one of the most exciting days in a long time!"

I remember thinking,  "Well that is a guy who loves his job!  Let me just grab a beer and get comfy on this couch and watch the show."

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 01:00:49 pm »

James Aydelott is generally my choice on local weatherman. I just want the facts. If I wanted tension and extra drama I'd watch American idol or Survivor or something.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 02:22:51 pm »

James Aydelott is generally my choice on local weatherman. I just want the facts. If I wanted tension and extra drama I'd watch American idol or Survivor or something.

Or Cspan 3.

James is pretty good.  Travis just gets so wound up sometimes it's tough to keep from scaring the kids....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 02:25:38 pm »

Just don't care much for him, and he's a fellow ECHS alumnus.  I'm glad he's had a good run at Fox23, but they'll never have the toys the big 3 have (actually just the big 2; Channel 8 ALWAYS falls behind the other two in technology).

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 02:26:10 pm »

Or Cspan 3.

James is pretty good.  Travis just gets so wound up sometimes it's tough to keep from scaring the kids....

Which is why I like Dick Faurot on Ch 6.  Very level headed.  He'll be missed when he leaves this summer.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 07:10:50 pm »

Channel 8 ALWAYS falls behind the other two in technology.

Which might be why they are #4.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org