A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:21:13 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TORERO to close  (Read 11054 times)
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« on: May 03, 2017, 01:32:38 pm »

May 6 or 7 2017 last day.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:35:10 pm by ARGUS » Logged

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 02:32:50 pm »

May 6 or 7 2017 last day.

1) That did last long. Didn't even get a chance to go.

2) When restaurants are closing downtown that seems like not a good sign. It's concerning. This place is right by the BOK Center with hordes or people passing by. A new hotel just opened next door to the restaurant and new one is planned to break ground soon across the street. How can they not make money? Is there something unusually wrong with their food or service?
johrasephoenix
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 02:38:40 pm »

Don't know, but it is a challenging spot. 
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 02:54:35 pm »

There's been a handful of new restaurants in the downtown area since Torero opened last year, most seem to be doing well. Spaghetti Warehouse had its own issues, Einstein Bagels (from what I read) relocated to fit the need of a drive-thru option. Casa Laredo seemed to be the only one that closed down for just lack of business.

The owners still have downtown businesses that seem to be flourishing (Open Container, Topeca, Saturn Room, Hodges Bend) with a mix of bar/restaurant/cafe. Maybe it was just out of their wheelhouse...?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 07:10:13 pm »

I work downtown, and downtown for other events all the time. I didn't know this place existed.

I ate at Casa Laredo a half dozen times. Not surprised on that one.
1. Food was "okay"
2. service was "okay"
3. The space was awkward. It's a lobby and they never did a proper build out. The kitchen was like, behind a sheet, and tables were split in different sides of the space. Sometimes in what is supposed to be a doorway, other times along an overly narrow walkway so you bump elbows with diners just trying to reach your table.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 05:41:44 am »

I work downtown, and downtown for other events all the time. I didn't know this place existed.

I ate at Casa Laredo a half dozen times.

Um, what?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
brettakins
Activist

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 06:33:49 am »

I work downtown and I must have drove pass this place a thousand times and I never knew it existed. I've probably tried all the restaurants that are located around it. From the google reviews, this place looks like it was really nice, to bad I didn't get a chance to try it out. A nice business sign out in front would have helped or maybe I just never paid attention.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 06:45:20 am »

A sign has been there almost since it opened.

glove51
Citizen

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 08:39:51 am »

Easy explanation for Torero closing:

• the service was poor
    the food was mediocre
    the food was over-priced for what it was.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 11:11:42 am »

I hope All About Cha isn't in any trouble.   Sad

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 11:21:08 am »

They probably would have done ok if they had lasted long enough for both hotels to open.  I would definitely go to someplace like that if it was next to my hotel if I was out on business.  The BOK center has a lot of events but are they the same people that want to spend the $$$ on dinner? I think the economic impact of the BOK center and Driller's stadium is over assumed. Friday and Saturday concerts it do make a big impact.  But shows during the week I think don't do a whole lot for downtown. Better than it would be otherwise but nothing exciting. There are a lot of time constraints around shows during the week. Also in the area. Mixco also sold to the Justin Thompson Restaurant Group. Generally things don't change a whole lot when things are going great.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 12:01:42 pm »

1) That did last long.
When did it open?

Never heard of it.
Any previous TulsaNow thread regarding it?

Cimarex Bldg / 202 S Cheyenne
http://torerobarandkitchen.com/
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 12:31:53 pm »

Also in the area. Mixco also sold to the Justin Thompson Restaurant Group. Generally things don't change a whole lot when things are going great.

Mixed Company always seems to have done well, as JTR businesses. Conspiracy in my is thinking the sell was related to the same thing as what closed down Torero - lack of development for the businesses. Or maybe the former owner is looking at expanding or trying something new?
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 12:50:36 pm »

When did it open?

Never heard of it.
Any previous TulsaNow thread regarding it?

Cimarex Bldg / 202 S Cheyenne
http://torerobarandkitchen.com/

LMGTFY:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/restaurants/table-talk-torero-bar-kitchen-targets-mid-july-opening-downtown/article_f031f8e1-8c3d-57e8-ae6a-5d4099435c6e.html

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/restaurants/table-talk-torero-bar-kitchen-set-to-open-downtown-july/article_f556886c-77d4-5d72-9f92-09548acfeea5.html

http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/foodreview/review-say-a-rousing-ole-for-the-new-torero-bar/article_b4004a09-40e6-516f-b162-ade7f80a09c2.html

Looks like sometime around end of July last year.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 01:50:45 pm »

They probably would have done ok if they had lasted long enough for both hotels to open.  I would definitely go to someplace like that if it was next to my hotel if I was out on business.  The BOK center has a lot of events but are they the same people that want to spend the $$$ on dinner? I think the economic impact of the BOK center and Driller's stadium is over assumed. Friday and Saturday concerts it do make a big impact.  But shows during the week I think don't do a whole lot for downtown. Better than it would be otherwise but nothing exciting. There are a lot of time constraints around shows during the week. Also in the area. Mixco also sold to the Justin Thompson Restaurant Group. Generally things don't change a whole lot when things are going great.

I have little doubt BOK and The Drillers help downtown business, but how much is not really easy to conclude since there has been so much other development downtown as well as new residential spaces.  Being that close to the BOK  may actually create an issue on show nights.  If anyone recalls the last U.S. Open and PGA Championship events at Southern Hills, restaurants all up and down Lewis from 51st to 71st were assuming they would really clean up with an event like that in town.  Not so.  Most people assumed traffic would be a complete sh!t show so they avoided the area completely for dining.

I'd like to see if other restaurants in the immediate area see a swing one way or the other on show nights.

One other issue may well have been a lack of publicity and advertising.  Other than when Torero opened, I heard nothing else until this post.  If you don't promote your business and simply rely on word of mouth or being in proximity to office space and a large event venue, you very well could fail.  Serve something that gets negative or mixed reviews along with sorry service and you deserve to fail if you don't change it up.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org