A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:38:17 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Renaissance Brewery 12th & Lewis  (Read 18086 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 08:59:00 pm »

Have you picked up a six of any of the Founder’s varieties yet? Really great from what I’ve tried so far.  There again, one more entry into a pretty crowded market.  It’s amazing how many beers Oklahoma still does not get.  With new ones arriving all the time, it’s easy for me to forget about some of the beers I’ve tried in the past.

I tried one each in a mix-a-six of Founder's Centennial IPA, Porter, and Dirty Bastard Scotch Style Ale.  I liked them all of them but at 8.5% I was kind of expecting a Wee Heavy on the Scotch Ale and it was not.  It was still good though.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:50 am »

Do we know who the actual proprietor of the brewery is?

This is a new start-up brewery.  The owner/brewmaster has trained in Chicago and Germany.  Home brewed for years prior to those training sessions.  Not sure how public he wants to be just yet, but I am sure if you watch the TMAPC on TGOV you'll see him.

He lives in the Renaissance neighborhood and from our discussions wants to build a building that is very friendly to the neighborhood.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
tdlneal
Tourist

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 06:58:00 pm »

The brewmaster of Renaissance is Glenn Hall who with his family lives in Renaissance Neighborhood.

I designed the building and have assisted Glenn with the PUD process.
Construction documents and engineering will be done by 360 Engineers who are located just across 15th St. from Renaissance Neighborhood.

Glenn and I are both formerly presidents of Renaissance Neighborhood Association and have long term commitments to its well being.

Tom Neal, Associate Member, American Institute of Architects
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 07:40:05 am »

Hi Tom,

How did the hearing with TMPAC go yesterday?  This would be a nice addition to that stretch of Lewis.

Is Glen doing a brewery or a brew pub?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
saintnicster
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 08:11:23 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/downtown/microbrewery-proposal-heads-to-city-council/article_3d71d66f-5afb-5c4e-950e-80407ffd6891.html

Microbrewery proposal heads to City Council
The Tulsa Metropolitan Area Planning Commission on Wednesday recommended approval of a zoning application to construct and operate a microbrewery at the northeast corner of Lewis Avenue and 12th Street.

The application now goes to the City Council for consideration.

Renaissance Brewing Co. would be the first brewery to produce full-strength beer in a commercially zoned area of the city. The city's zoning code restricts such breweries to industrial-zoned parts of the city.

To circumvent that prohibition, the applicant, Glenn Hall, proposed a planned unit development — a commonly used planning tool that allows for property uses in areas where the underlying zoning would not normally allow them.

Commissioners voted 7-0 to recommend approval of the PUD and a change in a portion of the underlying property's zoning from commercial to industrial to allow the brewery.

According to the PUD, the Renaissance Brewing Co. would be part of a new two-story, 7,100-square-foot structure that would include the brewery and retail space on the first floor and possibly office and residential areas on the second floor.
The brewery would be limited to producing 5,000 barrels of beer a year.

The brewery would only brew and bottle beer, not sell it on site. That's not allowed under state law.

Hall told commissioners Wednesday he plans to use some of the first-floor retail space to offer beer tastings and sell merchandise.

He has said previously that he hopes to have the brewery up and running by early next year.

Tulsa has seen microbrewery pubs come and go in commercial districts, but those establishments were first and foremost considered restaurants for zoning purposes and were limited to selling 3.2 beer.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 11:20:22 am »

Update on this project and how it was unnecessarily difficult to build this in a New Urban form.  Maybe better for a discussion in the planning forum but thought it would be good to discuss as it affects future infill projects in midtown.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/michael-overall-does-tulsa-make-it-harder-to-build-the/article_37ffd16c-c136-5022-942b-70eb5942a072.html

rebound
City Father

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 01:00:48 pm »

I tried one each in a mix-a-six of Founder's Centennial IPA, Porter, and Dirty Bastard Scotch Style Ale.  I liked them all of them but at 8.5% I was kind of expecting a Wee Heavy on the Scotch Ale and it was not.  It was still good though.

Founders makes great beer.  Founders All Day IPA has become my go-to.   It is right on the edge of strong Pale Ale and an IPA.   Very light.  Maybe that's why it is "All Day IPA".  Good stuff.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 05:37:10 pm »

Founders makes great beer.  Founders All Day IPA has become my go-to.   It is right on the edge of strong Pale Ale and an IPA.   Very light.  Maybe that's why it is "All Day IPA".  Good stuff.

It's difficult to believe this thread has been revived from three years ago.

I really like Founders KBS.  Too bad it's a seasonal and really expensive.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 06:58:10 pm »

It's difficult to believe this thread has been revived from three years ago.

I really like Founders KBS.  Too bad it's a seasonal and really expensive.

The Backwoods Bastard is better than KBS in my opinion, and last time I bought it was not as expensive as this year's KBS.  They may be upping the price in general for their special release barrel aged beers.
pusherbot
Tourist

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 05:45:59 am »

I always get excited about new breweries opening in town.  I am really hoping that we can get some more, they can really help bring a little bit of tourism.  At least, I know I go out of state to see take brewery tours.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 11:44:41 am »

I always get excited about new breweries opening in town.  I am really hoping that we can get some more, they can really help bring a little bit of tourism.  At least, I know I go out of state to see take brewery tours.

My BIL is a big craft beer guy.  He was in town over the weekend for my daughter's graduation and I took him to Prairie Tap, and he went (I had conflicts) to American Solera.   He raved about Solera, and can't get those beers in South Carolina.  He left with, at least three cases of mixed beers, and left a lot of money in the local tills.   Beer geeks spend money.   

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org