A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:03:45 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russell Stovers to close?  (Read 15112 times)
saintnicster
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 10:56:31 am »

Hopefully they are not moving in the Archer building and another cool tenant is. We don't need to have two chocolate shops by the same company one block away from each other.
http://www.okmag.com/blog/2017/01/20/sweet-success/
.. Copeland says Glacier’s building at Brady Street and Boston Avenue just couldn’t accommodate tours or classes. Glacier’s next step will change that.

“In June 2017, we’re going to be launching a new facility at [215 E. Archer St.] in downtown Tulsa, and that is going to have a full bean-to-bar production facility,” Copeland says. “We’ll be going right from the cacao pod. We’ll be doing roasting, cracking, winnowing and conching to make the chocolate from scratch from the tree. We’ll be doing tours. We’ll be doing classes. We’ll have an educational component finally in place that’s structured. It’s going to have floor-to-ceiling glass walls where you’ll be able to see the entire process. It’s going to be a lot of fun.”

The feel that I get from this article is that Glacier is moving into the new building, not just opening a second shop there...
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 01:54:33 pm »

The feel that I get from this article is that Glacier is moving into the new building, not just opening a second shop there...

Cool, thanks. And of course that means something new can go in their old store front!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 04:07:12 pm »

They are moving their small store into a brand new larger location, while also opening a second location at Utica square, theoretically.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 05:05:14 pm »

They are moving their small store into a brand new larger location, while also opening a second location at Utica square, theoretically.

That article says they are taking 7,000 square feet downtown and that includes space for production. I would guess the Russell Stovers storefront would just remain a storefront. That little building can't be much over 1,000 square feet.
TeeDub
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 10:08:17 pm »

Fingers crossed for Cloud 9 to move there.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 03:03:13 am »

Fingers crossed for Cloud 9 to move there.

I swear to the Almighty I was going to post this exact message here.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
cbs
Citizen

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 09:21:56 am »

You guys don't miss anything!

Answer is, all of the above. New big Archer building location AND new store in former Russell Stover's location.

http://ktul.com/news/local/russell-stovers-utica-square-location-closing

Cheers!

[edited for clarification]
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 10:30:24 am by cbs » Logged
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 10:45:24 am »

According to the KTUL story, it opened in Utica Square in 1952 but apparently didn't become a "staple" in Utica Square until 1962. (Someone needs to brush up on their math skills.)

It's good to confirm that Utica Square is not just terminating leases helter-skelter with no plans for replacement tenants (as they apparently did a couple years ago...)

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 11:24:15 am »

It was bad enough when they closed 71st store - this is ridiculous!   (We went to both on a fairly regular basis).

I heard a couple months ago that Lindt had bought them and knew right then it was gonna be the end of Russell Stover.  Get rid of solid, mid-scale chocolate - not like a good chocolatier, but meets a good price point value - and insert just another wax based Hershey's style mess.  It's a shame.

Guess we will have to settle for Godiva' in the mall...if they are still there - haven't been there in a long time!

I did get to spend 3 days at Godiva's factory in Pennsylvania a few years ago, working on the roof, surrounded by the smells of chocolate!  Break time was always in the retail shop downstairs looking for bargains.  Was able to bring back about 20 lbs of chocolate at about $1.50 a pound (factory 'seconds') as carry on luggage!  Filled the plane with aroma of chocolate - people's heads were exploding...!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 07:46:50 pm »

You guys don't miss anything!

Answer is, all of the above. New big Archer building location AND new Russell Stover's location.

http://ktul.com/news/local/russell-stovers-utica-square-location-closing

Cheers!

New Russell Stover's location?
cbs
Citizen

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 10:31:21 am »

I edited to clarify - new Glacier in the former Russell Stover's location, not another Russell Stover's.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 10:35:29 am »

http://www.okmag.com/blog/2017/01/20/sweet-success/

Sounds like it may be a left-coast kind of place...that would be nice!   Maybe get some freshly made nibs!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 12:03:20 pm »

Wal-mart, aisle 4.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 11:43:27 am »

anyone know the status of Glacier taking the Russell Stover space at Utica Square?

dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 11:51:00 am »

anyone know the status of Glacier taking the Russell Stover space at Utica Square?

They've been open since at least Black Friday. I stopped in and bought a few things that day. Nice people, same great chocolate.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org