A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:06:35 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finalists for the new Tulsa flag  (Read 33247 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2017, 11:17:51 am »

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/tulsa-flag-campaign-organizers-respond-to-backlash-over-three-city-flag-design-finalists/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2017, 11:26:22 am »

Sounds like a whole lot of rationalization going on there...since there is no "none of the above" option listed, I am betting that of the 30,000 who have watched their show, a good number would have voted "no" if the possibility existed.  Just because 6,000 voted for one of the three does NOT mean that most people like any one of the three. 

They need to fix the poll to make it valid and do it again!

How is that for "snarky", Kevin...??!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2017, 12:21:34 pm »

Sounds like a whole lot of rationalization going on there...since there is no "none of the above" option listed, I am betting that of the 30,000 who have watched their show, a good number would have voted "no" if the possibility existed.  Just because 6,000 voted for one of the three does NOT mean that most people like any one of the three. 

They need to fix the poll to make it valid and do it again!

How is that for "snarky", Kevin...??!!

We didn't get none of the above for president.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2017, 12:22:56 pm »

So my take is that you like the extremely stylistic/abstract designs more so than a more immediately recognizable one?   Not disparaging, just observing.

Your design was as abstract as theirs with the rainbow stars.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2017, 12:25:27 pm »

Sounds like Tulsa SOP, SNAFU.

A - Looks like a flag for some resort chain like Marriott/Hilton/Sheraton

B - I like, be seems more symbolic to the state rather than Tulsa

C - Looks like it needs to be strung up with all the other semaphore flags on a cruise ship.

JMO, YMMV
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2017, 12:56:01 pm »

Here's Orlando's choices:
http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/04/03/voting-is-now-open-for-orlandos-next-city-flag?utm_source=widget&utm_medium=articleblog&utm_campaign=endofarticle&utm_content=RelatedStories

Although it appears they actually got input and did a redesign round:
http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/05/01/finalists-modify-designs-for-orlandos-city-flag-contest

Not a single one has Mickey ears.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2017, 12:59:48 pm »

Your design was as abstract as theirs with the rainbow stars.

One more time...  I'm not advocating for that design.   Even I don't like it, as it's too busy and trying to do too much.  I do agree on the "rainbow" stars, even with stars, the added colors were just too much.  As I said, less than 10 minutes of thought went into it.

But no, it is not more abstract than the others.  (OK, maybe more abstract than #2, but that's just a shield / dream catcher, so is too derivative of the state flag.)   I actually added the stars to mimic the Chicago flag, which seems to be held up as a great flag.  Stars are obvious symbols, and are not abstract.  They are perhaps one of the most commonly used symbols overall. 

The one I like the best so far, with the obvious symbols, is some version of the last one by Swake.  The Driller and/or a Derrick, with the council oak, over the stripes.     

rebound
City Father

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2017, 01:03:26 pm »

Interesting that all four finalists incorporate an "O" in the design.  I thought letters were bad form?

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2017, 01:03:30 pm »

Here's the flag for them........

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2017, 01:06:15 pm »

We didn't get none of the above for president.

Not quite as important as President, but I truly wish to he$$ that we did have that choice - and restart the election process with the previous losers no longer eligible to run for that cycle!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TeeDub
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2017, 02:36:26 pm »

Interesting that all four finalists incorporate an "O" in the design.  I thought letters were bad form?

No one cares about form.   Words are fine.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2017, 02:49:45 pm »

No one cares about form.   Words are fine.

I was just ribbbing grizzle a bit.  In one of his earlier post he said the "T" on my flag was bad form.  Wink

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2017, 03:29:30 pm »

I'm just wondering if our team would be up for a redesign round. Orlando did it, the tulsa pedestrian bridge did it.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2017, 11:44:46 am »

Heck, why not just have a flag with a big blue "T" on it on a yellow background, or some such colors.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2017, 12:08:58 pm »

Interesting that all four finalists incorporate an "O" in the design.  I thought letters were bad form?

Don't know what the first thing is..  Probably the sun.   It's definitely a circle though, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Two are definitely the sun more than they are "O"
The fountain thing might be the top of an "O"

Was there a "none-of-the-above" choice regarding the new pedestrian bridge?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:10:35 pm by BKDotCom » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org