A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:08:22 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finalists for the new Tulsa flag  (Read 33272 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2017, 07:16:27 pm »

Why didn't someone put the Golden Driller on a dark blue background? If anything represents Tulsa, that has to be one of the most iconic symbols there is.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2017, 07:53:50 pm »

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2017, 08:11:20 pm »

rebound
City Father

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2017, 08:18:30 pm »

The stars meant absolutely nothing to me without the explanation. The T is a letter and technically bad form. In the end, you basically made a flag version of this:

I didn't say I like my design.  I actually think it's too busy.  My point, which I'm not sure if you are intentionally missing or not, is regarding the symbols.   The Chicago flag is hailed as a great example of a city flag, but symbolically it means nothing to me. (The stars on that flag represent events in Chicago history.  Didn't know that.)   However, the symbols themselves are easily understood and identified.   

Flag #1 of the three finalists also has a "T" in it, bad form or not.  I just don't see any of the other symbolism present, until it is described.  But, at least it's got that going for it, which is nice.

Also, I have always liked that fountain.  Smiley

rebound
City Father

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2017, 08:20:21 pm »

Make the tree a stylistic tree to match the derrick, and I am on board with this one.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2017, 08:40:02 pm »

Make the tree a stylistic tree to match the derrick, and I am on board with this one.

It's the Council Oak. Maybe someone with more artistic talent can convert it. I would also prefer a stylized golden driller over the generic derrick.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2017, 07:28:02 am »

It's the Council Oak. Maybe someone with more artistic talent can convert it. I would also prefer a stylized golden driller over the generic derrick.

I knew it was the Oak.  I thought about putting it on my flag with the derrick.   But I like where you are going with the Driller and the Oak.  Stylize both of them, and they represent oil, money, progress, etc, and also our Indian heritage, green country, and related.  Two symbols for both worlds, both over the green and blue stripes representing the land.  I actually really like it.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2017, 09:14:22 am »

Pick a tree, any tree... 

https://www.google.com/search?q=stylized+oak+tree&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7y9jTv9HTAhXhslQKHe13AGgQ_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=722

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2017, 10:52:49 am »

Why didn't someone put the Golden Driller on a dark blue background? If anything represents Tulsa, that has to be one of the most iconic symbols there is.

Takes old guys to think of the obvious.  Golden Driller is about as obvious as it gets.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2017, 01:38:09 pm »

A graphic artist could do a lot better, this is just with clip art I found.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:42:38 pm by swake » Logged
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2017, 02:11:28 pm »

Takes old guys to think of the obvious.  Golden Driller is about as obvious as it gets.

Well it was either that or the Prayer Tower and the Praying Hands. In the past, most family and friends visiting wanted to see the Golden Driller or the Praying Hands.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2017, 03:06:51 pm »

Well it was either that or the Prayer Tower and the Praying Hands. In the past, most family and friends visiting wanted to see the Golden Driller or the Praying Hands.

Or both!   I still get that once in a while, but the "shine" seems to have worn off ORU a little bit in recent years.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2017, 07:45:26 pm »

welp, so far I like the official choices better than what the forum has cooked up.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2017, 11:12:13 pm »

How about the Council Oak as a backdrop for the Golden Driller in the forefront (as opposed to side-by-side)?

Now that its an amusement park ride in France...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
rebound
City Father

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2017, 08:52:51 am »

welp, so far I like the official choices better than what the forum has cooked up.

So my take is that you like the extremely stylistic/abstract designs more so than a more immediately recognizable one?   Not disparaging, just observing.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org