A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:40:38 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parking Meters in Brady Arts District  (Read 27287 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2018, 08:47:44 am »

Minimum wage should be a living wage....

That said, if you're earning minimum wage, you should be shopping for a used car, not new.
Also, nobody finances a car for 12 months.   The vast majority of car loans are for 5 or more years.

Even making more than min wage, I never buy a new car...just too much expense for too little return.  Luckily, there are so many out there willing to throw their money away like that so I never have to worry about those insane auto expenses.

One case as example - have a friend who spent $50k on a Lexus.  Even IF they get 200,000 miles or more, their per mile capital expense would be $0.25.  Today, it is still over $0.50!!  They won't, 'cause there are about 80,000 mi on it and they won't live long enough to go even another 50,000.   Maybe I should buy it for about $5k or so...?

The most expensive car I have ever bought  was $15,000, 20 years ago ('95 Grand Marquis).  Now, over 190,000 miles later, my capital cost for that car is just under $0.08 per mile.   Routine maintenance has given no major expenses beyond normal wear and tear - no engine or transmission repair.  Same as the Lexus.  And it still runs very good, just looks a little forlorn...faded paint, worn leather inside.  The cheapest one ever is a '97 Gr Marquis that cost $2,700, and returned $1,800 insurance buyout for a wreck from a guy who hit me, with 80,000 miles so far.  Still driving it, since drivability was not impaired at all.  $1,000 cost, 80,000 miles.  Still driving it, so it will be down to a penny a mile very soon...

Sadly, the 'new car bug' is one of those ways poor people stay poor.  Driving a car way beyond what would suffice.  Grand Marquis is noticeably better than just "what would suffice"...and there are still lots of them out there in really good shape for cheap money.  I am actually thinking about getting a newer one for the next 20 years!  Probably will cost about $5k to $8k for low miles, excellent condition.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2018, 10:39:09 am »

Minimum wage should be a living wage....

That said, if you're earning minimum wage, you should be shopping for a used car, not new.
Also, nobody finances a car for 12 months.   The vast majority of car loans are for 5 or more years.

Should it be a "living wage" for 16 year old kids doing summer or seasonal work?

I always mowed lawns, threw newspapers, and did odd jobs in addition to working minimum wage jobs but I may be an oddball over-achiever who was resourceful enough to do more than the minimum to get by.

Granted, my view might be colored since I still work for the same company I have for 14 years in sales while co-owning and helping to operate three other businesses at the same time.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 10:48:07 am »

Should it be a "living wage" for 16 year old kids doing summer or seasonal work?

I always mowed lawns, threw newspapers, and did odd jobs in addition to working minimum wage jobs but I may be an oddball over-achiever who was resourceful enough to do more than the minimum to get by.

Granted, my view might be colored since I still work for the same company I have for 14 years in sales while co-owning and helping to operate three other businesses at the same time.

Why not?  If it is summer or seasonal, then they are getting proportionally less by the nature of the work.

Plus, if the job is not worth paying someone the true value of that work, how is it the kids or the adult workers fault that the employer can't properly manage their business??  If some 'work' is not worth the minimum wage, it is not worth doing at all.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org