A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:54:20 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parking Meters in Brady Arts District  (Read 26798 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 09:15:10 am »

Thanks 2014.  

It would be public.   Much like our taxes going to bus and rail systems that you don't use.

And going back years before, and continuing in the years since to one degree or another.  It is not an isolated point - it is a continuum.

And exactly...

It's very similar to a John Green quote about paying taxes for schools.  Subsidizing public transit like rail and bus generally tends to help the lowest income strata of our society more - helps them get to those minimum wage jobs that we so love to create in this country and then claim we had done something... How about transitioning from creating more low paying jobs to making work worth more to get better paying jobs??  Now there is a truly unique and worthwhile goal!!   While private aviation support subsidizes people at the other end of that spectra...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:21:37 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 10:23:54 am »

Thanks 2014. 

It would be public.   Much like our taxes going to bus and rail systems that you don't use.

But just like fuel taxes which are supposed to help with road maintenance, there are specific fuel taxes on avgas and jet fuel which I believe are earmarked for general aviation funding which I assume includes airport maintenance and ATC at attended airports so users of the system aren't exactly getting a free ride on the backs of those who don't fly GA or commercial.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 12:56:54 pm »

But just like fuel taxes which are supposed to help with road maintenance, there are specific fuel taxes on avgas and jet fuel which I believe are earmarked for general aviation funding which I assume includes airport maintenance and ATC at attended airports so users of the system aren't exactly getting a free ride on the backs of those who don't fly GA or commercial.

Yes there are.  The whole point is that everyone gets to "subsidize" someone else in our world.  Everyone gets to pay some, everyone gets subsidized.  Some more than others...the poorest get the least, while the richest get the most, but that is just the reality.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 07:09:54 pm »

Landing fees are usually for large planes but some busy airports levy them on small planes too.  Ramp fees or minimum fuel purchases are often used by Fixed Base Operators (FBOs) to help pay the way.

TeeDub
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 04:50:44 am »

While private aviation support subsidizes people at the other end of that spectra...

I would love to see you tell the students at Spartan that they are rich.   Maybe all the people at Tulsa Tech learning how to fly/work on planes are the rich ones?   Maybe the other 4 flight schools are the ones that are benefiting?

There are probably thousands of people who make their livings (or are working on improving their livings) out there.    Oh right, it doesn't provide direct benefit to you so it must be a bad idea.

Why do you hate education?    Is it because it gives your minimum wage workers the opportunity to better themselves?
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 09:03:31 am »

I would love to see you tell the students at Spartan that they are rich.   Maybe all the people at Tulsa Tech learning how to fly/work on planes are the rich ones?   Maybe the other 4 flight schools are the ones that are benefiting?

There are probably thousands of people who make their livings (or are working on improving their livings) out there.    Oh right, it doesn't provide direct benefit to you so it must be a bad idea.

Why do you hate education?    Is it because it gives your minimum wage workers the opportunity to better themselves?

Nowhere did I say that any of them own and operate their own planes.  Nor did I imply it anywhere.  Or that they are rich.  And when they do operate for themselves, they too enjoy the subsidies that the richer owners get.  That is a great RWRE diversion technique though - sounds just like the Fake Fox News Playbook Manual training course!

As for education, well have you actually read any of my posts?   Or even read the little note at the bottom of every post I make?   I have NO minimum wage workers!  Never have had - never will.  Everyone I hire starts making $10 per hour until their "probation" period is done...which is really simple - show up, show interest, show the ability to learn, and use it - you pass!  Usually get to that point in less than 30 days....NEVER had one go past 45 days.  If it did, there would have been an obvious failure on my part to pick the person for the position.  Hasn't happened.  At the end of probation, next step is $15 an hour.  We aggressively go up from there based on performance, productivity, contribution to the cause, and ongoing process of the probationary conditions.  Because $15 an hour IS what a true minimum wage level would be had we not been subjected to the trials and tribulations of the last 35 - 40 years of the kind of "gutting" of the American Dream that we have experienced.   (1968 minimum wage 'peaked' in this country at what today's equivalent would be right at $15 an hour.)

We are better than that.

Edit;
Upon further reflection, I generally don't feel like I hire people to work 'for' me - I hire them to work with me.  Cutesy little catch phrase, but true.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:16:34 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

TeeDub
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 02:58:32 pm »

I would be curious to see how many minimum wage workers there really are in the area.  Even Braums starts at $9/hr (or so their signage says.)

If you are an adult making minimum wage, you have made extremely poor life choices or you have absolutely no ambition.   (Most likely a large combination of both.)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 03:35:17 pm »

I would be curious to see how many minimum wage workers there really are in the area.  Even Braums starts at $9/hr (or so their signage says.)

If you are an adult making minimum wage, you have made extremely poor life choices or you have absolutely no ambition.   (Most likely a large combination of both.)

That's a pretty damned condescending attitude.  How about disabled adults?  I could go on..

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2018, 03:01:37 pm »

Parking meter enforcement starts today!  It seems like many other cities have adopted this system already, so it should work  (the A's include Albuquerque, Ames, Amherst, Annapolis, Appleton, Arlington, Asheville, Athens, Atlanta... then I stopped reading).  I'm still not clear on why it took us so long to figure it out, but lets move forward!

City page:
https://www.cityoftulsa.org/residents/arts-recreation/downtown-tulsa/downtown-parking/

The App:
https://parkmobile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203301060-Tulsa-OK-Central-Parking-Parkmobile-Info

You can pay the meter or via the app.  It is zone based parking, so I think you can move around in a zone without having to re-"plug" the meter.  I downloaded the app but haven't used it yet.  New signage up, saw some attendants walking around talking to people - they said they are doing "light enforcement" for the first few days to get people used to the new system.

Prepare for the "sky is falling" statements from workers who have been taking up spots all day right in front of the shops and the "I didn't see the sign" complaints from many others.  Smiley

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2018, 04:20:00 pm »

Victim shaming.   Classic Fake Fox News methodology.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2018, 05:45:31 pm »

$9 an hour is $360 a week.  It comes to a total of $18720 before taxes if you don't take a week off for vacation.  That is less than a lot of new cars cost these days. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2018, 08:50:23 pm »

$9 an hour is $360 a week.  It comes to a total of $18720 before taxes if you don't take a week off for vacation.  That is less than a lot of new cars cost these days. 

Minimum wage has pretty much always been less than a lot of new cars.  In 1968, the pinnacle of minimum wage, the $1.60/hr was $3328/yr at 2080 hours.  A basic Chevy Chevelle with a 6 cyl was about $2900 but a 396 Chevelle was $4560.  I googled "sticker price 1968 Chevelle" and found some window sticker images.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2018, 07:39:19 am »

Minimum wage has pretty much always been less than a lot of new cars.  In 1968, the pinnacle of minimum wage, the $1.60/hr was $3328/yr at 2080 hours.  A basic Chevy Chevelle with a 6 cyl was about $2900 but a 396 Chevelle was $4560.  I googled "sticker price 1968 Chevelle" and found some window sticker images.

Olds Cutlass would sticker near $4,000, depending heavily on options.  Could be purchased for about 20% off that with just a little bit of haggling.  Also, by 1970, they were about the same.  Mine was $3,200 new purchase price paid - still have the sticker somewhere and it was about $4,100 I think...

Then, for a year of min wage, you could get nice Chevy - '68 Chevelle SS, 396 about $4,600 - 1 yr and 4 mo work at '68 min wage.  Or Olds (like a Lexus today). 

Today for min wage, you get a tiny Toyota - very basic Corolla or Yaris, for about 1 yr to 1 yr 4 mo work.  Or Lexus LS350 type at near $50k for only close to 3 years min wage money.

That's just one thing a 40% reduction in real pay does over 50 years.   And that has gone up the scale too.  Well, except for the top 1%, of course.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:49:02 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2018, 07:54:19 am »

I'm sure there are plenty of people making minimum wage (plus tips) in an area that has many bar tenders and servers, non profits, artists, and small scale start-ups.   Every parking spot was usually taken, and most were cars that never moved all day - some by the people who depend on short-term customers for their tips/business.  The meters are likely to force them to walk a few blocks to park for cheap/free - freeing up the parking for customers, which might see some of them make more money in the long run and increase sales tax revenue (and parking) for the city.  Yay market economics! (but will admittedly will just be an inconvenience for some others)

Also, a lot of the parking in the district was people from the towers who were happy to park for free and walk an extra few blocks.  This simply shifts that dynamic, now the workers in the Arts District will have to walk a few extra blocks if they want to park for  free.  The people from the towers can pay for their lots or, like everyone else, park further away. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2018, 07:58:08 am »

Minimum wage should be a living wage....

That said, if you're earning minimum wage, you should be shopping for a used car, not new.
Also, nobody finances a car for 12 months.   The vast majority of car loans are for 5 or more years.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org