A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:46:08 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too Crazy for FOX  (Read 80581 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 08:20:06 am »

The Colonel makes it sound as if Fox is the only one wittingly harming our system of government for a profit. 

Don't forget the extremist right tea party in Congress.  They are doing it, too.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 09:35:04 am »

Sure, but don't fall into the trap of believing that Fox News, Infowars, or RT are just the right wing versions of CNN, Washington Post, or the New York Times.  Objectively, that simply isn't true. You can look at fact checking or narrative, it simply isn't an equivalency.

The narrative has shifted far to the right. What would have been considered slightly right a few years back is now being called leftist on many "sources."  Simply because some want to shift the narrative far to the right, it doesn't shift the entire political spectrum. One side has gone so far, it's tempting to shift the center.  Don't fall for it.

Absurd examples:

A:  Lets round up everyone with red shoes and ship them off the planet!

B. Whoa!  That's crazy.  No way.  Lets treat them like regular citizens.

A. Okay, then lets just round them up, take all their property and deny them the right to vote.

B. Gee, that seems like the middle ground.  It must not be left or right, but center!

or

A. Nazis are bad.

B. Nazis are good.

Central?: Some Nazis are very fine people.

or

A. The Campaign knowingly met with representatives of a hostile foreign nation with the intent of gaining a campaign advantage against its rival.

B. Not it didn't, if it did it didn't matter, if it matters someone else did something worse.

Centrist?: Maybe they did, but it might not have mattered.

Actually, I was comparing more to MSNBC and their constant droning and spittle-laced tirades to undo the Bush II admin from 2001 through 2008 and fawning over Obama when he came to power when I made the comment with Chris Matthews, Rachel Madcow, and psychotic Keef Olberdoosh leading the charge on that network.  I don't watch any news outlets anymore and I even unsubscribed to Yahoo News alerts in my email because it has become so focused on Trump, his whores, and his whole clown show. 

Quite literally, we have a pro-Trump Press and Opposition Press playing out in various outlets.  Stories may be fact-filled but editorial decisions are being made at networks and media outlets which decide which side they care to present.  The fact that the Colonel ignores this as if Fox is the only network spewing directed propaganda, I find rather myopic.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 09:35:36 am »

Don't forget the extremist right tea party in Congress.  They are doing it, too.

Along with Nancy Pelosi and her band of plunderers.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 10:49:31 am »

The fact that the Colonel ignores this as if Fox is the only network spewing directed propaganda, I find rather myopic.

He worked for Fox News.  I think that is why he talked about Fox.  He is no longer proud to work there.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 01:22:40 pm »

A. The Campaign knowingly met with representatives of a hostile foreign nation with the intent of gaining a campaign advantage against its rival.

B. Not it didn't, if it did it didn't matter, if it matters someone else did something worse.

Centrist?: Maybe they did, but it might not have mattered.

This last one here leads me to believe you don't watch CNN (which is a good thing in my opinion). I'll buy that Fox is NOT the opposite of the Times and Post, but CNN, oh it is exactly the opposite of CNN. They have really lost there way over the last year or so.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 01:58:15 pm »

This last one here leads me to believe you don't watch CNN (which is a good thing in my opinion). I'll buy that Fox is NOT the opposite of the Times and Post, but CNN, oh it is exactly the opposite of CNN. They have really lost there way over the last year or so.

Cite an example.  Just because Cheeto Jesus calls CNN "Fake News" doesn't make it so.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 03:44:13 pm »

Cite an example.  Just because Cheeto Jesus calls CNN "Fake News" doesn't make it so.

Be honest and tell me you haven't noticed?

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/08/cnn-trump-error-journalism-287914
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/business/media/cnn-retraction-trump-scaramucci.html

CNN has appeared to leave journalistic integrity by the wayside if it means implicating trump more than any network that I am aware of. Even more so than MSNBC and that's really saying something.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 04:39:44 pm »

Be honest and tell me you haven't noticed?

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/08/cnn-trump-error-journalism-287914
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/business/media/cnn-retraction-trump-scaramucci.html

CNN has appeared to leave journalistic integrity by the wayside if it means implicating trump more than any network that I am aware of. Even more so than MSNBC and that's really saying something.

Much like Conan, I don't watch CNN or any other cable news outlet for that matter.  I use a combination of sources to get my news these days.  But yeah, if you believe that CNN is fake news, then what is Fox?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 05:26:12 pm »

Much like Conan, I don't watch CNN or any other cable news outlet for that matter.  I use a combination of sources to get my news these days.  But yeah, if you believe that CNN is fake news, then what is Fox?

Fake news. Have you been paying attentions to the points being made? I was likening them, not distinguishing Fox from CNN.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 07:25:44 am »

Pretty much exactly what I was describing.  CNN has retractions and makes mistakes, rushes to judgment, and piles one.  They are selling ad space.  But it then publishes retractions and and eats crow.  In nearly all reviews for factual accuracy, CNN does well.  In reviews for bias, CNN is just left of center. There are a myriad of studies on this topic.

As you pointed out, the two biggest errors at CNN were:

1) Citing an email offering access to WikiLeaks for Trump officials as Sept. 4 instead of Sept. 14th, and
2) Firing reporters who ran with a story before properly vetting it.

Now go look up Fox, InfoWars, RT, or whatever.   Some outlets are so far off factual accuracy and so devastatingly biased that they shift the narrative.  So one looks at an outlet that is close to neutral and it suddenly looks like it must be a political opposite.  So lets slap them both with the same label.  Obviously they are both fake news...

And some Nazi's are decent people.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2018, 07:45:09 am »

Pretty much exactly what I was describing.  CNN has retractions and makes mistakes, rushes to judgment, and piles one.  They are selling ad space.  But it then publishes retractions and and eats crow.  In nearly all reviews for factual accuracy, CNN does well.  In reviews for bias, CNN is just left of center. There are a myriad of studies on this topic.

As you pointed out, the two biggest errors at CNN were:

1) Citing an email offering access to WikiLeaks for Trump officials as Sept. 4 instead of Sept. 14th, and
2) Firing reporters who ran with a story before properly vetting it.

Now go look up Fox, InfoWars, RT, or whatever.   Some outlets are so far off factual accuracy and so devastatingly biased that they shift the narrative.  So one looks at an outlet that is close to neutral and it suddenly looks like it must be a political opposite.  So lets slap them both with the same label.  Obviously they are both fake news...

And some Nazi's are decent people.

While CNN may not be in perfect lock step with Fox News, I see that as their goal. They saw that Fox News could make a killing selling hard right news while purporting to be "fair and balanced". In my opinion, unless a dramatic change is made at CNN, it's only a matter of time before CNN and Fox are perfect ideological opposites. Salacious slightly misleading scrawls across the screen, big personalities that are more fun to watch than they are properly prepared to discuss complex subjects, the constant drumbeat of negative stories on their ideological foes. That's what I see. It's Fox 10 years ago. They have a lot of lost time to make up, and it seems they are doing there best to catch up.

In all honesty, I only know what Fox is doing through third party reporting. I do from time to time witness what is going on at CNN, but you could probably add up the hours I've watched over the last two months on one hand. It was enough for me. I prefer print/online news as it generally at least takes a moment of thought before hitting the send button.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:47:27 am by erfalf » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2018, 08:31:13 am »

I've been using this site lately:

https://www.allsides.com

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 09:01:04 am »

While CNN may not be in perfect lock step with Fox News, I see that as their goal. They saw that Fox News could make a killing selling hard right news while purporting to be "fair and balanced". In my opinion, unless a dramatic change is made at CNN, it's only a matter of time before CNN and Fox are perfect ideological opposites. Salacious slightly misleading scrawls across the screen, big personalities that are more fun to watch than they are properly prepared to discuss complex subjects, the constant drumbeat of negative stories on their ideological foes. That's what I see. It's Fox 10 years ago. They have a lot of lost time to make up, and it seems they are doing there best to catch up.

In all honesty, I only know what Fox is doing through third party reporting. I do from time to time witness what is going on at CNN, but you could probably add up the hours I've watched over the last two months on one hand. It was enough for me. I prefer print/online news as it generally at least takes a moment of thought before hitting the send button.

Not even close to Fox 10 years ago.

Like CF said, when they mess up, they admit it, retract it, apologize and eat crow.  Fake Fox doubles down.  Every time.

And some Nazi's really are not decent people.  None of them are.  (Lest the irony of the 'decent people' sarcasm escape the minions, which it has, and they continue to believe...)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 09:41:59 am »

Fox is not the right wing equivalent of CNN, they are more like MSNBC, Slate or Huffpo, if not even more slanted than those lately. For the most part anyway.

I listen to Fox some in the car on Sirius and on Shep Smith's show they were being as tough on Trump as CNN, if not more so. Later I heard the afternoon show, Fox Five? If was as if the Trump campaign wrote the whole show. Pure unhinged propaganda.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2018, 09:46:45 am »

Fox is not the right wing equivalent of CNN, they are more like MSNBC, Slate or Huffpo, if not even more slanted than those lately. For the most part anyway.

I listen to Fox some in the car on Sirius and on Shep Smith's show they were being as tough on Trump as CNN, if not more so. Later I heard the afternoon show, Fox Five? If was as if the Trump campaign wrote the whole show. Pure unhinged propaganda.

How does Shep stay on Fox?  I've always been baffled.  Whether it was his rant about torture, or his criticism of Fox's beloved Cheeto Jesus, I've wondered about why they don't dismiss him for toeing the network line.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org