A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:29:57 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minature outdoor spotlights  (Read 3502 times)
Markk
Civic Leader

« on: June 10, 2023, 05:23:17 pm »

I'm looking for the smallest possible exterior lights that I can use to spotlight some 8" gargoyles in my backyard.  Solar or battery.  Any suggestions?  A quick amazon search search didn't help
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 07:18:50 am »

I'm looking for the smallest possible exterior lights that I can use to spotlight some 8" gargoyles in my backyard.  Solar or battery.  Any suggestions?  A quick amazon search search didn't help

Now you did say small, and these are small and produce about 2 Lumens each:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Solar-Powered-Black-Classic-Column-LED-Path-Light-and-Landscape-Light-2-Lumens-6-Count/664247575

Without knowing your layout and ambient lighting its kind of a *shot in the dark* if you may, but its always good to start out small when adding outdoor lighting and at 99 cents a pop its not terribly expensive to experiment with.  

Use foil on one side of the light to make it more directional.
Anything on the order of floodlights has the potential to be an annoyance if the spill light isnt carefully controlled, so you dont want to illuminate windows.
If your garden features are larger than gnomes you may need a low-voltage spotlight, mounted high and pointed down with the column of light controlled with a tube or can to prevent spill. PVC pipe painted flat black usually works for that.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 04:24:09 pm »

I went with your suggestion and found it to be perfect.  I removed the solar cell and light, fit a short piece of a straw around the LED and wrapped some black tape around the straw to end up with a very small (maybe 2”) light that could be trained directly at a gargoyle.  It looks great at night.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org