A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:52:23 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “Economic Development” Means Gentrification for North Tulsa  (Read 27258 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2017, 09:41:15 am »

Probably should have thought a bit before your weak azz attempt at tagging me as a hypocrite.

Did I upset you?

Hey someone get Guido a Pacifier.....
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2017, 12:56:09 pm »

Upset me? Again I am laughing at you. Did you not see how I was mocking the poorly written article that triggered this thread? Everyone else apparently did, but you got whooshed...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2017, 12:57:38 pm »

This may be a bit of a drift, but I'd like some group thought on the larger issue:

Gentrification is defined as improving an area to middle class taste.  Doing so creates more demand for more affluent people, which raises prices.  This brings on the complaint that it chases out current residents. But I don't see how that is avoided in an area that is largely renter occupied (as is the case with areas seen as less desirable) or where owners choose to cash out, other than keeping it less desirable? Not that all of North Tulsa is less desirable than all of anywhere else... I'm greatly generalizing.

Sure, it is possible that current owners/residents break the 40+ year cycle of decline in North Tulsa, but in that it hasn't happened yet, it is most likely that outsiders will be the catalyst for improving the area to middle class tastes.  That isn't a judgment; economics, "planning," and other factors have maintained the status quo, but it is rare for an area to see large scale change out of the blue.  It will likely be money coming in from outside the community, with that money comes people from outside the area and the bemoaning effects gentrification. Every well positioned older community with "good bones" that sees its fortunes change seems to go through the same process.

Retailers have computers running demographics constantly, looking for places that "fit" their model for a new store. The current demographics in North Tulsa appear to attract only select businesses.  If the area becomes more attractive to middle class tastes and attracts wealthier people, it will attract the businesses that follow that demographic.  Unfortunately, to attract those other businesses naturally the change that people are worried about (increasing the income/net worth of the people living there, which generally means moving less affluence people somewhere else) is likely part of the equation.  I'm not saying there isn't money to be made by opening a business in North Tulsa, I'm merely commenting on what I see happening.

Unfortunately, the choice appears to be status quo or change.  The status quo isn't a good choice because the area is likely to continue to decline and not attract the most desirable businesses (including main-line grocery stores). The change isn't desirable to many because it will break apart a long standing community.

Like  many on here I see a lot of potential in North Tulsa.  Cool homes, neighborhood churches, great location to downtown or TU, add life and value to the city utilizing existing infrastructure, etc. etc. etc.   But I don't see how we utilize those assets without altering the wealth paradigm. And I don't see how we do that on a large scale without forcing the less affluent people to somewhere else (assuming history is a guide and simply making everyone wealthy isn't an option). 

Someone correct my ignorance, what are the other options.

This thread needed some drift. That article that led this off was something else...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2017, 02:54:11 pm »

No Message.

Guid, I'm out on this. Have your fun.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:19:30 pm by swake » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org