A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:44:39 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TORERO to close  (Read 11049 times)
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 02:39:17 pm »

Easy explanation for Torero closing:

• the service was poor
    the food was mediocre
    the food was over-priced for what it was.

I had the exact opposite experience on the first two counts, and I disagree with the third.  I went several times under different circumstances and had good experiences.  I am sorry to see it go.
jaredjordan
Tourist

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 08:09:15 am »

Mixed Company always seems to have done well, as JTR businesses. Conspiracy in my is thinking the sell was related to the same thing as what closed down Torero - lack of development for the businesses. Or maybe the former owner is looking at expanding or trying something new?

I can offer some insight into this. MixCo has been growing very steadily year over year since we opened in 2014. After my daughter was born last year, we opened the kitchen (which has been great for business) and the hotel has opened. It's no longer a one-man operation to run the business, and after 3 very good but busy years, I'd like to spend more time with my family. I want to make sure the business continues to grow and that my employees continue to be treated well. Having known Justin professionally for over 15 years, and knowing that he wanted to add a bar to his group, it made for a perfect fit for all sides. It's also a shame that Torero is closing, because it only benefits the whole area from a walkability standpoint to have more local businesses in the Arena District. Hopefully another concept adapts into their space soon.
johrasephoenix
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 08:28:26 am »

I can offer some insight into this. MixCo has been growing very steadily year over year since we opened in 2014. After my daughter was born last year, we opened the kitchen (which has been great for business) and the hotel has opened. It's no longer a one-man operation to run the business, and after 3 very good but busy years, I'd like to spend more time with my family. I want to make sure the business continues to grow and that my employees continue to be treated well. Having known Justin professionally for over 15 years, and knowing that he wanted to add a bar to his group, it made for a perfect fit for all sides. It's also a shame that Torero is closing, because it only benefits the whole area from a walkability standpoint to have more local businesses in the Arena District. Hopefully another concept adapts into their space soon.

I freaking love MixedCo.  Thanks for bringing life to that area of town.  Great vibes your way. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 11:09:34 am »

I’ve enjoyed MixCo as well when I’ve visited.  Best wishes on your future and getting to spend more time with your daughter. Can you share any insight as to what tanked Torero?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 11:26:23 am »

That's all great info! Thanks jaredjordan
glove51
Citizen

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 12:18:40 pm »

Love, love, love MixCo.
Gold
Citizen

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 01:42:56 pm »

Torero was OK, at least for drinks and appetizers.  It was a little pricey.  It was a really big space for the amount of people they had coming in.  I think there was a lot of interest when it first opened (I remember going on a Tuesday night and it was 75% full after 9 pm, which is a win in this town).  I also think it was awkward for the location where it was.  Big crowds aren't going to flock to the South American restaurant before they go to see some top 40 or old fogie band play at BOK.  The rest of the time, it's in an area where there just isn't a lot of foot traffic.  The food itself was decent, but not going to bring in crowds by itself.  I had an out of town friend go there for an anniversary (against my plea not to) and he thought it sucked.

The one thing that is encouraging to me about it was there was a lot of interest when it first opened.  I think a comparable place that was really good and played to the tastes of people around here could work in that place.  Most Okies don't know anything about South Americans food.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 07:16:41 pm »

Most Okies don't know anything about South Americans food.

That could be an issue if most Okies think enchiladas, queso, nachos, refried beans and Spanish rice are South American.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 07:55:56 pm »

I believe tapas style is from Spain, not South America.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 08:19:38 am »

I believe tapas style is from Spain, not South America.

And for those hard of hearing or spelling challenged, perhaps they were disappointed when there weren’t any nekked wemmen.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 08:43:26 am »

And for those hard of hearing or spelling challenged, perhaps they were disappointed when there weren’t any nekked wemmen.

All.  The.  Time.   When tappas hit Dallas years ago,  there was a great little tappas bar place that I would tell people about, and I'd get these blank stares.   Then would realize they heard "topless bar", and have to explain it and pronounce with an accented "a" like "tap", as in "tap water".  Not right, but at least the got the point. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org