A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:08:23 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The best Tulsa bars and what makes them great  (Read 15865 times)
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« on: March 30, 2017, 05:57:28 am »

As per recent requests for more threads, I suggest moving this conversation here and uncluttering the Unicorn Bar thread.

I never saw the old Arnie's, but I like the new one a lot.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:57:20 am »

The Colony - local pub, live music later, very diverse crowd.

Cellar Dweller - bar has character (you feel like your entering a speak easy), seems to attract a low key crowd

Sound Pony - I love telling people we should stop by the biker bar, only to then see them realize it is a bicycle bar

Rooftop of the Mayo - the views & had to have one classy bar on the list

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:29:06 am »

Soul City tulsasoul.com

Great owners, great music, awesome outdoor space, excellent food...they really have it all.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 08:09:25 am »

Yeah,  after I posted I thought this was probably best as a new thread.  Thanks.

- The Colony.  I thought of that one later on.  Love that place.  Should have been on my list.
- Celler Dweller.  Have not been there.  Now going to have to check it out.
- Mayo - Well, yeah, when the weather is right that's a great place.  Maybe not the vibe I was looking for, but a good upscale add.

- Soul City.   I STILL have not been there.   Wife has been there a couple of times and gives it thumbs up.   I may go there today, just to say I did.

Thanks!  Anybody else?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:12:36 am »

Either bar at the Vault is great.  I'm a mid-century modern freak so either one simply has a neat vibe and their cocktail menu is fantastic.

As far as the old Arnie's Rex, it was in Drake's on 15th.  You can pretty well get the vibe of it only add in the shuffleboard table on the west wall there and you can get an idea how tight that place was.  Mighty damn smoky too!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:11:34 am »

Soul City is a cool place as mentioned.  Last evening they had a concert with Marc Benno (of Asylum II Choir/Leon Russell fame), Jamie Oldaker and Junior Markham.  They also broadcast the concert on Facebook live. 

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 10:20:35 am »

I haven't been to crow creek in a decade, back when the bikers were on the other side of the street, not that the two are related. I liked the food there though.

I also like Blue Rose, it just always seems crowded, pricy and slow.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 10:46:58 am »

I haven't been to crow creek in a decade, back when the bikers were on the other side of the street

I seem to remember the space where R Bar is now being a big biker scene but I was too young to remember the name. Is that the right place? And if so, what was the name?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 11:54:43 am »

I seem to remember the space where R Bar is now being a big biker scene but I was too young to remember the name. Is that the right place? And if so, what was the name?
Blue Rose
rebound
City Father

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 11:57:15 am »

Blue Rose

It was the old Blue Rose, but I don't remember that being biker bar.  I loved that place and was in there all the time.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 12:01:14 pm »

I haven't been to crow creek in a decade, back when the bikers were on the other side of the street, not that the two are related. I liked the food there though.

I also like Blue Rose, it just always seems crowded, pricy and slow.

Crow Creek fits the mold that I'm thinking.  I was there not long ago.  "Not bad", but not someplace I'm going to frequent.   But that's personal taste.

I actually like the Blue Rose (apparently more than others on this forum), but it's more a "restaurant with deck on the river" than a true hangout bar.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 12:02:22 pm »

Inner Circle across from Cain's.

I've only been there for HH but I liked the space.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 12:02:30 pm »

Asked a friend of mine who is not on this forum, and he added MixCo.   I've been a couple of time.  Fits the mold.  Probably good to add to the list.

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 12:06:49 pm »

It was the old Blue Rose, but I don't remember that being biker bar.  I loved that place and was in there all the time.

Was there a place on the East side of the street that was always swarmed by motorcycles? Maybe like in the '90s? Childhood memory is foggy.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 12:09:05 pm »

Either bar at the Vault is great.  I'm a mid-century modern freak so either one simply has a neat vibe and their cocktail menu is fantastic.

As far as the old Arnie's Rex, it was in Drake's on 15th.  You can pretty well get the vibe of it only add in the shuffleboard table on the west wall there and you can get an idea how tight that place was.  Mighty damn smoky too!

I'd categorize the Vault, Hodges Bend, Valkyrie and the like as "cocktail bars".  All are great, but not the vibe as what I was going for.  

And yeah, the smoke at the old Arnie's was my biggest problem with the place.  I miss that shuffleboard table.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org