A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:37:40 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The best Tulsa bars and what makes them great  (Read 15875 times)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 12:11:31 pm »

Was there a place on the East side of the street that was always swarmed by motorcycles? Maybe like in the '90s? Childhood memory is foggy.

I'm not saying there were no bikers at Blue Rose, but they were the "Biker Chic" kind.  Not real bikers like the place down further South.  So maybe we are talking the same place.  If there was a real biker bar there, I wouldn't have been in it.

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 01:09:57 pm »

IMO the best two bars in Tulsa are Valkyrie and Hodges Bend. Both do the classics well and have their own craft cocktails. Always something good/interesting to drink. The staff at both are also highly knowledgeable and great to talk to. I've never had a bad experience at either. Often we will meet people from out of town, more so at Valkyrie than Hodges Bend, and have great conversations with them about things to see and do around Tulsa while they are here.

The Saturn Room isn't bad, but can get a little full of what I call the bachelorette crowd at times. Same goes for Inner Circle. Not bad places, but at times the like, total, like, vapid, like "OMG I can't even" crowd make them difficult to be in.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:08:15 pm by Ibanez » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 02:06:34 pm »

MixCo seems good.

As a person who doesn't drink, I'm not sure what I'm doing on this thread.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 03:43:05 pm »

I'm not saying there were no bikers at Blue Rose, but they were the "Biker Chic" kind.  Not real bikers like the place down further South.  So maybe we are talking the same place.  If there was a real biker bar there, I wouldn't have been in it.

Credit card bikers, definitely not the Kick Start Lounge or Snakepit type bikers.

And the place was jam packed with them constantly during nice weather.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 04:34:09 pm »

Credit card bikers, definitely not the Kick Start Lounge or Snakepit type bikers.

And the place was jam packed with them constantly during nice weather.

I can't remember where Kickstart was...remind me??

What was that place across from LaNelles...do you remember it?  We  used to gather there for the toy runs, go downtown, then back to the bar in the very early days.  When there were more following pickups than bikes....   And plenty of hassle from the cops.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 09:23:25 pm »

I can't remember where Kickstart was...remind me??

What was that place across from LaNelles...do you remember it?  We  used to gather there for the toy runs, go downtown, then back to the bar in the very early days.  When there were more following pickups than bikes....   And plenty of hassle from the cops.

Rabon Martin's, (Attorney At Large) place.  As I recall it was out by Jack’s on Admiral.  Rabon was the local coordinator for NORML for years and advertised for pot bust cases.  I think he also did a lot of work for ABATE on thwarting the helmet law. He also wrote for Urban Tulsa and Uptown News under several pseudonyms.  Pretty interesting character.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 10:25:44 am »

Rabon Martin's, (Attorney At Large) place.  As I recall it was out by Jack’s on Admiral.  Rabon was the local coordinator for NORML for years and advertised for pot bust cases.  I think he also did a lot of work for ABATE on thwarting the helmet law. He also wrote for Urban Tulsa and Uptown News under several pseudonyms.  Pretty interesting character.

Yeah - that is the one across from LaNelles... knew Rabon for many years.  Good guy.   Too young to go...

Worked quite a bit with us in ABATE when I was active.  Knew him before that in a previous life, too.  Very interesting!

Another one I have lost track of, but spent some quality time in that small house he rented out behind the shop at Starship...

http://tulsatvmemories.com/brucwing/bunyan2.html

Could always get the latest 'Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers' comics.  Probably still can...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 11:16:17 am »

I'm a fan of The Saturn Room (fun drinks for those who like fancy stuff, good beer for others). It varies on crowd though from being mostly empty to packed. Great for patio though.

Rusty Crane is a mix of restaurant/bar, but when it's not too busy to get good service, again the patio is pretty fantastic.

Vintage 1740 is definitely my go to spot. I saw a recent write up where it was said the place is not pretentious, though there can be that feeling. The bartenders are great and know their stuff
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 11:19:40 am »

Rabon Martin's, (Attorney At Large) place.  As I recall it was out by Jack’s on Admiral.  Rabon was the local coordinator for NORML for years and advertised for pot bust cases.  I think he also did a lot of work for ABATE on thwarting the helmet law. He also wrote for Urban Tulsa and Uptown News under several pseudonyms.  Pretty interesting character.

Jack's, wow that brings back a lot of mixed memories for me. Last time I was there was to unload what was left of my brothers Guzzi after getting it from Al Storey's lot 26 years ago this weekend.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 03:15:00 pm »

New places, I nominate the Beehive in the KW.  Older places I nominate the Bounty. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
TeeDub
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 05:17:10 pm »

I guess I like my bars a little more for their cheap beers.    Crawpappies and Sutures have cheap drinks and surprisingly good food.  I still love the Brook, both north and South.  Fat Daddies isn't a Paddy's Irish Pub, but as a corner bar, it fits the bill.

If you get WAY south, PJs is pretty good and it is in the same corner as Paddy's reboot..

BA has a few, but that's another thread.
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 11:13:05 am »

My wife and I have been going to the Rusty Crane since they opened and it's our go-to spot.  They've got a great patio and it's close to the ball park.  We're always there on First Fridays, starting at the Crane and then moving on to Living Arts, Zarrow, 108 Contemporary, AHHA, Valkryie, etc.  In fact we are usually at the Crane every Friday around 4-4:30 and sit at the bar.  We know all the staff and they all know us.  In fact, the Crane gave us a $100 gift certificate for Christmas last year for being such good customers.  They've got a varied menu which is very tasty from their apps to their meals.  We've met a lot of interesting people sitting at the bar.

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 10:50:10 pm »

I guess I like my bars a little more for their cheap beers.    Crawpappies and Sutures have cheap drinks and surprisingly good food.  I still love the Brook, both north and South.  Fat Daddies isn't a Paddy's Irish Pub, but as a corner bar, it fits the bill.

If you get WAY south, PJs is pretty good and it is in the same corner as Paddy's reboot..

BA has a few, but that's another thread.

Speaking of Paddy's, has anyone here visited the reincarnation of it?  I loved the Wagoner's hospitality and Kenny is a pretty gifted chef.  They were one of the few places in Tulsa which could get fish and chips right.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 11:26:12 pm »

My wife and I have been going to the Rusty Crane since they opened and it's our go-to spot.  They've got a great patio and it's close to the ball park.  We're always there on First Fridays, starting at the Crane and then moving on to Living Arts, Zarrow, 108 Contemporary, AHHA, Valkryie, etc.  In fact we are usually at the Crane every Friday around 4-4:30 and sit at the bar.  We know all the staff and they all know us.  In fact, the Crane gave us a $100 gift certificate for Christmas last year for being such good customers.  They've got a varied menu which is very tasty from their apps to their meals.  We've met a lot of interesting people sitting at the bar.

Say hey to Lee for me. Good guy.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2017, 03:58:00 pm »

Speaking of Paddy's, has anyone here visited the reincarnation of it?  I loved the Wagoner's hospitality and Kenny is a pretty gifted chef.  They were one of the few places in Tulsa which could get fish and chips right.

The wife and I went the week they opened. It was not good, very disappointing. Food was slow coming out, wife's Shepard's Pie was cold and had to be sent back. My fish & chips were ok, but were cooked a bit too long and were greasier than I would like. The worst part was the service, slow and disorganized. I knew we should have waited a bit longer to go after they opened.

I have since heard that they got their act together and have turned things around. Haven't been back yet though as the wife is reluctant due to the poor experience we had the first time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org