A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:35:12 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Tulsa Restaurants - Help Needed  (Read 14019 times)
losttulsarestaurants
Tourist

« on: March 27, 2017, 11:26:01 am »

TulsaNow - I need your help!

I am currently researching information for a book about Tulsa’s Lost Restaurants. Although I can’t capture them all, my goal is to put something together that shows the history of the city through the diners & favorite hangouts that have come and gone.  I have found a few old threads on this site that have given me a good list of places to dig into, but, I need some more details that I can't get from old newspaper articles.

I need YOU! These places come alive with your stories, memories, and photographs.

I've set up a survey that should make it easy to provide the information I need -- it's here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/F6SVB5K

You can also send information/photographs (as long as they're yours) to: losttulsarestaurants@cloudlesslens.com.  Thank you SO MUCH! This is Tulsa’s story and it will only be richer with your contributions. I can't wait to get this together and share it with the world.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 03:21:22 pm »

Is it too late for you to re-organize your Survey Monkey list?  It would be much easier to navigate if the list of restaurants was alphabetized by name.

Bishop's had several locations over the years ... more than the two on your list.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:51:23 pm »

Alpha would be very good.  Nice idea.

King's Food Host.   31st and Sheridan where QuikTrip is now.  Was there when 31st was still gravel going east of Sheridan.

Black Gold Buffet - south of 21st on Memorial - always good to belly up to the trough...!!

Sandy's Hamburgers - west of Sheridan on 21st.  Burgers in a bag 10 - sometimes on sale 12 - for $1.00.

Don's Restaurant - southeast corner of Independence and Sheridan.  Home cooking goodness.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:53:27 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 05:05:30 pm »

Better get The Sleepy Hollow on that list....

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 07:02:02 pm »

Molly Murphy's - Sheridan at I-44
The Louisianne - 18th and Boston
The Rafters - 46th and Yale
Full Moon Cafe (McGill era)
Tulsa Brewing Company 72nd in Memorial
Cherry Street Brewing Company - 15th and Peoria
Hoffbrau  - 18th and Boston

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:05:58 pm by swake » Logged
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 08:22:03 pm »

There was another Hoffbrau on the south side of East 5th Street between Boston and Main, in the Vandever Building.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 09:42:37 pm »

Speaking of Molly Murphy's, here's the book on that subject.......

https://www.amazon.com/Whatever-Happened-Molly-Murphys-Repute/dp/1598585193/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490672446&sr=8-1&keywords=Molly+Murphy%27s+House+Of+Fine+Repute

losttulsarestaurants
Tourist

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 07:58:13 am »

Is it too late for you to re-organize your Survey Monkey list?  It would be much easier to navigate if the list of restaurants was alphabetized by name.

Ah!  That's a great idea.  It won't let me re-arrange now that questions have been answered.  I did add a couple of responses, though.

Thanks all for the add'l detail!  I have a secondary list going of all the newly-mentioned places.  I won't be able to include restaurants without photos OR a good amount of detail about the restaurant (food they served, what it was like inside, etc) so if you have any of that kind of info I'd love to have it.  Thinking about setting up a booth at a show or somewhere in town to collect information in person; the more stories I can gather, the better!
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 05:28:47 pm »

I think the only old menus I have are from private club restaurants (Petroleum Club and Tulsa Club), but I might have one from Pennington's.  I'll look.

Sometimes I see old Tulsa restaurant menus at the Tulsa Flea Market.  You might try looking at Michael Sager's Sunday flea market at 1st & Iroquois, also.

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 06:01:07 pm »

Frank's Pig Stand, near the northeast corner of 15th & Boston

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 06:28:43 pm »

The Loaf and Ladle, near the northeast corner of 12th & Main, if I recall correctly

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 06:33:13 pm »

You might try reading through this topic, begun about ten years ago.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 07:44:03 pm »

The Loaf and Ladle, near the northeast corner of 12th & Main, if I recall correctly

That place was great
ex-riverman
Citizen

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 08:42:14 pm »

I'll be honest - the only restaurants listed that I miss are Pennington's and Sleepy Hollow. The Italian Inn holds special memories but I wonder if I would be impressed by it now. Sleepy Hollow was the best. Those little biscuits...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 09:23:43 pm »

There was an Italian restaurant that I frequented in the early 90s over at 61st and Lewis, that I cannot remember the name of.  Best Chicken Parm in town.

Rosie's Rib Joint at 49th and Memorial.  Great steaks, decent salad bar.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org