A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:14:05 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling All Unicorns  (Read 14608 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 10:43:03 am »

I might be missing something here.  I must have a totally different definition of unicorn....
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 10:48:16 am »

I might be missing something here.  I must have a totally different definition of unicorn....

Are we talking about a third?
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2017, 12:42:30 pm »

I believe in the Urban Dictionary.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 02:46:17 pm »

The glittery unicorn bar might fail.  It might be a great success.  

I was inside Electric Circus only once, for a few seconds.  It seemed a bit depressing and boring to me, but that's just my perspective.

The idea of a unicorn bar seems ridiculously stupid, but again, that's only my perspective.  The whole concept sounds worthless and inane to me.

You are not in the 21 to 26 demographic.

But then, I don't appreciate bars much anyway.  Ever since Mom's on east Admiral (NOT south Lewis!) and Snakepit on 15th east of Lewis went out, bars just haven't been that interesting...

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:49:11 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 04:15:53 pm »

But then, I don't appreciate bars much anyway.  Ever since Mom's on east Admiral (NOT south Lewis!) and Snakepit on 15th east of Lewis went out, bars just haven't been that interesting...

OK, this got me thinking.   What makes a good bar, and what are "the best" (I know it's subjective) classic bars in Tulsa?  I'm talking places that don't serve food (or at least not much beyond some bar food), maybe have a pool table or shuffleboard, etc.  The main attraction is sitting and drinking and talking, etc.  Also has to be safe enough that I'm worried about getting out alive.

I used to love the old Arnie's before the move, and I like the Mercury Lounge, and even Soundpony if I'm in a bike-centric frame of mind (but that doesn't really fit what I'm thinking).   

Suggestions?

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2017, 04:51:39 pm »

Celler Dweller
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 06:00:58 pm »

I used to love the old Arnie's before the move

Where was Arnie's before and when did it move?

Also, this discussion calls for a new thread. Mods!
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2017, 06:27:10 pm »

Mod is too busy editing my posts about urban planner and walkability expert Jeff Speck ... but you can start a new thread if you wish, Tulsasaurus Rex.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:45:27 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 06:35:41 pm »

On M.B. Cherry Street, where Drake's is now, iirc.

It closed there around 1998, I think, and then re-opened in the Blue Dome district around 2000.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 10:31:37 pm »

I remember Arnies on either 13th or 15th in the late 70s.  I don't remember which.  I went there after class with my professor and class mates after class was over (a few times).

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 10:48:36 pm »

OK, this got me thinking.   What makes a good bar, and what are "the best" (I know it's subjective) classic bars in Tulsa? 

When I was in the Navy in the 70s, I went to a dive bar because I liked the people. I would not have gone there except a couple of friends "dragged" me there.  I became good friends with the weekend DJ and stayed at his place for a month after I got out of active duty.  I don't know how this helps this thread but it is my experience.

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2017, 05:58:07 am »

New thread

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=21485.new#new
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2017, 07:23:00 am »

OK, this got me thinking.   What makes a good bar, and what are "the best" (I know it's subjective) classic bars in Tulsa?  I'm talking places that don't serve food (or at least not much beyond some bar food), maybe have a pool table or shuffleboard, etc.  The main attraction is sitting and drinking and talking, etc.  Also has to be safe enough that I'm worried about getting out alive.

I used to love the old Arnie's before the move, and I like the Mercury Lounge, and even Soundpony if I'm in a bike-centric frame of mind (but that doesn't really fit what I'm thinking).   

Suggestions?

The two I mentioned would not be considered "good" bars by your parameters.  They were like the old Avalon was before it became all steakhouse - "sawdust on the floor to soak up the blood from the knife fights" kind of places...   Old, wild west style, I would say.  Avalon was for cowboys, Mom's and Snakepit were biker bars...and not the mini-van Progressive insurance kind of biker...

Used to be another one that was a little more upscale around the corner, north of 15th on Lewis - right behind Massad's and the Delman - can't remember the name of the place for some reason.  Knew several who got into serious knife and sledgehammer related events there - one died...David Marshall - RIP!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org