A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:34:19 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling All Unicorns  (Read 14609 times)
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« on: March 22, 2017, 09:33:41 am »

http://www.newson6.com/story/34968516/new-downtown-bar-calling-all-unicorns-to-celebrate-in-april

This is going in to the Electric Circus spot. I have no idea how this will do.  

hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:38:08 am »

"Green said the space will also lend itself to bachelorette and 21st birthday parties"

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm out. 

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:45:12 am »

Fun, they are responding to everybody on the stories comments. Cheesy
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:23:31 am »

Wow
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 02:58:13 pm »

No wonder why D-Fest tanked if that was the thinkers behind it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 05:23:06 pm »

Fail....

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 07:53:28 am »

I don't know why everyone is predicting "fail".
My guess, like most constantly rebranded nightclub concepts, it will make buckets of cash for a while before being rebranded something else.
The Full Moon Cafe's was the goto bachelorette spot.   I assume there is currently a void.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 08:39:32 am »

I was witness to the saddest bachelorette party ever a couple of weeks ago at Pepper's. So sad.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 09:19:06 am »

I'd guess a store selling nothing but a particular kind of bracelets would be a fail.  Or a designer home goods store in a small town in rural Oklahoma.  Or a bicycle themed bar in a dead part of a dying downtown.  Or any number of ventures that I don't realize how big the potential market is or have the knowledge or drive to make it work.

Then again, one turned into a sizable brand name, one draws headlines with how busy they are, and one is an absolute legend in its target market.

Maybe a unicorn bar will fail.  But my guess is the people who have worked in the nightclub business and are putting their own money in have a better grasp at the chances than we do.  It doesn't sound like we are the target market here...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 09:32:27 am »

I don't know about this, but really I'm just surprised that they are seemingly abandoning the typical night club market. With club majestic having it's emphasis on lgbt, where do people go when they just want a standard club scene in this town now? Seems like a major void in the market...

There are places that bring in DJ's at night, such as Fassler Hall and Sound Pony, but no actual typical night clubs now? Is this part of a larger trend where bars that double as night clubs are pushing out night club only formats?
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 09:49:04 am »

Or a designer home goods store in a small town in rural Oklahoma

Are you referring to Pawhuska?
If so... it's just knick knacks, t-shirts, & restaurant
Visited last Wednesday.  Was blow away at the amount of business that place was doing.  There was a 2-3 hr wait for the restaurant at 1:30pm (WED, 1:30pm, line down the street, Pawhuska).
I thought there had to be some sort of special event / book-signing going on.  But apparently it was a rather typical line for business.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:58:09 am by BKDotCom » Logged
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 10:22:49 am »

Maybe a unicorn bar will fail.  But my guess is the people who have worked in the nightclub business and are putting their own money in have a better grasp at the chances than we do.  It doesn't sound like we are the target market here...

I'm 50/50.. I am not sure how much they are trying to exclude men from this. Trying to get a huge chunk of the population to not go to your place isn't necessarily the best move.  It could bring more women/girls nights down. Then you lose women who have boyfriends or husbands that go out.  Either way it might be better than what Electric Circus was doing.

There is also this (note this is the same weight average man is 195 and average woman is 166 now)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:25:46 am by CharlieSheen » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 11:17:54 am »

I was witness to the saddest bachelorette party ever a couple of weeks ago at Pepper's. So sad.

Oh man...that is truly sad.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 11:19:55 am »

I'd guess a store selling nothing but a particular kind of bracelets would be a fail.  Or a designer home goods store in a small town in rural Oklahoma.  Or a bicycle themed bar in a dead part of a dying downtown.  Or any number of ventures that I don't realize how big the potential market is or have the knowledge or drive to make it work.

Then again, one turned into a sizable brand name, one draws headlines with how busy they are, and one is an absolute legend in its target market.

Maybe a unicorn bar will fail.  But my guess is the people who have worked in the nightclub business and are putting their own money in have a better grasp at the chances than we do.  It doesn't sound like we are the target market here...

My "wow" was for the artwork.  Nightmare in paint.

I hope it does well.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 11:54:28 am »

Are you referring to Pawhuska?
If so... it's just knick knacks, t-shirts, & restaurant
Visited last Wednesday.  Was blow away at the amount of business that place was doing.  There was a 2-3 hr wait for the restaurant at 1:30pm (WED, 1:30pm, line down the street, Pawhuska).
I thought there had to be some sort of special event / book-signing going on.  But apparently it was a rather typical line for business.

What establishment is this?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org