A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:17:17 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another brewery in Downtown Tulsa: Welltown  (Read 61062 times)
joiei
City Father

« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2018, 03:52:13 pm »

We finally released our first beer last Friday, an APA with more to come!

Woo Hoo, congrats on that.  Bringing some bootlegger style on your next trip to town? 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2018, 04:40:12 pm »

Over-expansion has killed more than a few breweries recently.  The distribution market is pretty rough with so much competition.  Yet one more reason we have no plans to go into cans or bottles at our own brewery here in New Mexico, it's strictly on-site distribution.  We finally released our first beer last Friday, an APA with more to come!

Next time you are in town, I will buy the first round at Marshall's new taproom if you can somehow bring me some of that APA.  If it's as good as the amber and kolsch you brought me last time I'm sure it will be outstanding!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2018, 10:15:40 pm »

Woo Hoo, congrats on that.  Bringing some bootlegger style on your next trip to town? 

Sssshhh!  My attorney reads this forum.  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2018, 09:00:51 am »

Another new brewery coming soon: Rapture Brewing, 24962 W. 141st St. South, Kellyville
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2018, 09:21:27 am »

I love this old building, can't wait to see what they end up doing with it.  Do we know who the architect is? 

I imagine as part of the redevelopment they'll redo the sidewalk/streetscape along 6th and add sidewalks on Utica

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2018, 11:53:21 am »

I love this old building, can't wait to see what they end up doing with it.  Do we know who the architect is? 

I imagine as part of the redevelopment they'll redo the sidewalk/streetscape along 6th and add sidewalks on Utica

I've been in that building many times, I can't begin to imagine how expensive that build out will be.  It's basically either building a new building inside the shell or scraping and putting up a new building.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2018, 04:43:50 pm »

Does someone know precisely the new rules on kids at breweries?  Some have posted about it.  Cabin Boys says they are allowed in the warehouse side, where the games and TVs are, and presumably not in the actual tap room. 
TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2018, 09:02:54 am »

Does someone know precisely the new rules on kids at breweries?  Some have posted about it.  Cabin Boys says they are allowed in the warehouse side, where the games and TVs are, and presumably not in the actual tap room. 

Was at the new Marshall brewhouse on Sunday and they have the bar area roped off with 21+ signs around it.

When I asked about it, they told me that ABLE just granted breweries the ability to be all ages as long as the actual bar area is off limits like at a restaurant. 
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2018, 09:23:31 am »

Great, that makes sense.  Dead Armadillo posted that kids are allowed in their yard.  Makes sense that Cabin Boys and Dead Armadillo have smallish tap rooms but separate recreational spaces and it makes sense for kids to be allowed in those areas.  Nice to finally see some common sense and removal of the stigma of (gasp!) having a beer with your kids around.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2018, 10:33:29 am »

Great, that makes sense.  Dead Armadillo posted that kids are allowed in their yard.  Makes sense that Cabin Boys and Dead Armadillo have smallish tap rooms but separate recreational spaces and it makes sense for kids to be allowed in those areas.  Nice to finally see some common sense and removal of the stigma of (gasp!) having a beer with your kids around.

Reese will look at you all judgie...
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2018, 12:15:04 pm »

I've been in that building many times, I can't begin to imagine how expensive that build out will be.  It's basically either building a new building inside the shell or scraping and putting up a new building.

It does look expensive but this is the founder of Prairie Artisan Ales we're talking about. The guy who bought a pretty sizable farm in Mounds OK and made a taproom and brewery only to find out the brewery wouldn't be feasible to do on a septic system, only to abandon that plan and sell off the brewery label altogether. I think they got this, looks easy peasy.

I'm kidding though. They're an incredible brewery and they've accomplished more than most will in their entire lives and no doubt have the funds and guidance to get something like this done. It does look like a massive expensive reno, but I'm glad it's in their hands. The SOBO taproom is awesome. Their overall aesthetics seem to be on pint.

I really hope they can save the overall shell/windows because it would be amazing renovated factory with restored casement windows.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2018, 01:21:21 pm »

AT $4 a can and $10+ a bottle, they can likely afford it.  My expenditures alone may finance the rebuild.  I'm a fan.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2019, 08:54:33 am »

AT $4 a can and $10+ a bottle, they can likely afford it.  My expenditures alone may finance the rebuild.  I'm a fan.

I'm a fan and glad they're moving there. It looks like they're doing their best to save the core of that old industrial building and to save the steel casement windows. They've made a good amount of progress clearing out quite a bit of the old ugly cladding.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2019, 08:55:11 am »

Eerie Abbey Ales plans downtown brewery

Demolition has begun for Tulsa’s newest downtown brewery, located in the old Impressions restaurant near Fifth and Main streets in the Oil Capitol Building.

Co-founders Joshua Schrock and James Jankowski started Eerie Abbey Ales a few years ago and have been pouring their beers at numerous events, letting consumers try out their products. They have leased the bottom floor of the 1920s building and are tearing down walls and ceilings to make way for their brewhouse and taproom.

The central part of downtown Tulsa doesn’t have a brewery, and with a new parking garage just opening a block away, customers won’t have to worry about parking spots.

“Right now, I think New Era is closest to us, but we are the only brewery in this section of downtown; we are hoping to get a lot of foot traffic. There are several residential areas that are around us, including right above us there will be a 48-unit apartment complex,” Joshua Schrock said.

They plan on gutting the approximately 4,000-square-foot building that once housed Impressions restaurant and a beauty salon that was next door. They also plan on keeping the original tile flooring that was in Impressions.

There will be a large L-shaped bar, a walk-in cooler behind the bar and some areas for games and places for people to just hang out.

“We want to create a nice community feeling where people can feel like they can have two or three beers with us and really enjoy themselves and relax,” Schrock said.

Price Family Properties owns the building and wanted to get something that would draw people to downtown.

“Price Family Properties is proud to partner with local entrepreneurs like Eerie Abbey Ales in continuing to add to the walkability and vibrancy of Tulsa’s Deco District,” said Daniel Regan, executive vice president of leasing and operations.

“Not only has PFP recently developed the best-looking parking garage in downtown, but we are also in the process of rehabilitating more of our historic properties into affordable residential offerings and have brought some high-quality office tenants into the Deco District this year, too.

“It’s exciting to be part of all the community building happening within the Central Business District right now, and we couldn’t be more pleased to have an awesome brewery taproom opening in our neighborhood,” Regan said.

Demolition and construction plans have the opening set for this year.

“I would say if everything went perfectly, maybe August, but they always say expect delays so, realistically, October or November,” Schrock said.

“We want to get open; we want to experience downtown. I’ve talked with a lot of people that said, ‘Oh, great! This is a place that we can walk to now.”

Eerie Abbey Ales will specialize in Belgian-style beers with a twist and will also have IPAs and other popular craft beers. The owners plan on having 12 taps at all times.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/eerie-abbey-ales-plans-downtown-brewery/article_396978cb-e5f9-5827-b92a-0327f6771b87.html
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2019, 09:00:21 am »

What the Ale: Tulsa's Local Cider announces grand opening Saturday

Local Cider founder and owner Hunter Gambill has been collecting apples, making and aging his ciders, and now, it’s time to officially open the taproom.

Gambill has set its grand opening from noon to 11 p.m. Saturday, March 23, at 1724 E. Seventh St.

Gambill started OK Distilling in 2017, and he continues to do groundbreaking things in Oklahoma, including opening a cidery and a meadery next to his distillery.

The meadery is named Angry Bear Mead, and Gambill will pour that when it is ready. The nondescript building doesn’t have a lot of flavor on the outside, but there are plenty of flavors inside. Nearly across the street from Cabin Boys Brewery, 1717 E. Seventh St., and Marshall Brewing Co., 1742 E. Sixth St., the location is prime for doing something different.

Cider is fermented juice, most notably from apples but it can be made cider from pears and the like. The UK is the biggest consumer of ciders per capita.

Gambill has collected apples from a Virginia orchard and has made and aged the cider. He offers it as “Weird Cider” and includes products such as Asian Pear with an alcohol by volume of 9.3 percent; Sake Bomb, 6 percent ABV; Mint Julep, 8 percent ABV; Cantaloupe Coconut Mint, 6.7 percent ABV, and Thai Coconut Green Curry coming in at 7.3 percent ABV. There are also a few beers available.

“We call them ‘Weird Ciders’ because instead of just making something you can get somewhere else, we decided to do something more. So we have stuff like a Sake Bomb Cider, we actually make our own sake,” Gambill said.

“Everything we do is with fresh-pressed apples. We want to do lengthy aging on them to bring a really, really quality cider into Oklahoma. So for us, we know where our apples are coming from, I physically went out to Virginia to work with a fourth-generation orchardist to pick the apple varieties that are going to go into our ciders,” Gambill said.

Gambill has had a passion for all kinds of fermentables since going to school in Oregon.

“What is exciting for me is my grad thesis was actually on honey wine. I learned winemaking, distilling and brewing while I was in Oregon in the Willamette Valley. When I came back to Oklahoma, I realized there was no cider in Oklahoma. I saw all of these breweries popping up and they are doing an excellent job, but it was kind of sad that there weren’t any ciders happening here, really as a cidery,” Gambill said.

I have had a few of the off-the-shelf ciders and, as a beer drinker, they are way too sweet for my taste. Ciders are gluten-free and bubbly almost like a sparkling wine.

“Most of the ciders on the market are terrible, they are made with concentrate. For me, using concentrate to make cider or wine would be like going to a coffee shop and getting instant coffee,” he said. “For us, we are really focusing on the quality of the things and telling a story.”

Oklahoma City does have a cidery that, according to its website, will open this spring. They are called OK Cider Co.

Here are some of the events happening in conjunction with the grand opening:

Noon to 11 p.m. Saturday, March 23: Grand opening, with lots of “Weird Ciders” and barbecue from Rub, with soccer for kids provided by the Tulsa Athletics.

3–6 p.m. Sunday, March 24: Food pairing with Derek Hillman (director of operations for JTR Group) — take a tour of the world of beer and cider and sample some dishes that pair best with your new favorite brews. Seating is limited, and reservations must be pre-paid at $75 per person. Must be 21 or older to attend. Reservations must be purchased through okdistilling.com/shop.

7-9 p.m. Thursday, March 28: A drunken spelling bee for $20. Free cider while you are in the competition. Prizes also awarded to the winners. RSVP through the Local Cider and Angry Bear Mead Facebook page.

6-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 3: Moroccan Cooking Class with Shannon Smith. Smith is a chef, world traveler and jewelry artist. The menu includes spicy almond meatballs, orange and black olive salad, chickpea and chorizo tagine with sage, parsley and chiles salad, tagine chicken with apricots and preserved lemons, buttered cous cous and ghoriba cookies. Cost is $95 per person.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/what-the-ale-tulsa-s-local-cider-announces-grand-opening/article_ea28e499-abc0-56de-85fb-6196ec354cc1.html
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org