A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:39:54 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another brewery in Downtown Tulsa: Welltown  (Read 61068 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2017, 06:58:19 am »

BY way of an update, I walked by yesterday and they have switched from deconstruction to construction mode.  The brick facade is back up and it looks like they are putting on a new roof.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2017, 09:58:51 am »

BY way of an update, I walked by yesterday and they have switched from deconstruction to construction mode.  The brick facade is back up and it looks like they are putting on a new roof.

I have been watching the Welltown site too.  Not sure why they have done some of the things they have done, but work continues.  Hope they were not having to individually wash the bricks ... I understand that is time consuming.   Grin
Yuppertin
Tourist

« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2017, 01:29:17 am »

I'm not going to say no to a brewery...Wink

Joingy
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:55:56 pm by Yuppertin » Logged
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2018, 11:29:32 am »

Updated list: Now there are ~13 breweries/taprooms planned or open within a couple miles of downtown. All in an easily bicyclable-path. In the Pearl District, there will be 5-6+.

Here is an updated list of all breweries/brewpubs existing or planned in midtown/downtown:

1. Marshall (618 S Wheeling Ave) - currently open with potential expansion at 1742 E 6th st

2. Dead Armadillo (1004 E 4th St) - currently open

2.a Dead Armadillo taproom & restaurant at Tulsa International Airport - currently open

3. Prairie Brew Pub (223 N Main St) - currently open

4. Elgin Park Brewpub (325 E Mathew B. Brady St) - currently open

5. Cabin Boys (1717 E 7th St) - Pearl District - currently open

6. Renaissance (1147 S Lewis Ave) - under construction - now (finally) open

7. Taproom for American Solera (108 E 18 ST S) - Chase Healey who founded Prairie Artisan Ales - potentially with small-batch brewing (Existing brewery open on west 21st) - currently open

8. Heirloom Rustic Ales (2113 E. Admiral Blvd.) - Kendall-Whittier - under construction - currently open

9. Welltown Brewery (114 W Archer St) - corner of Cheyenne & Archer - to open soon

10. Nothing's Left Brewing (1501 E. Sixth St.) - plan to open March 2018 (They have redone exterior and looks like making progress inside also)

11. Willow Family Ales (418 S Peoria Ave) - at former Park in the Pearl - under construction (Looks like it hasn't changed much outside lately)

12. Hanson (302 N Boston Ave) - brewery across from Prairie brewpub - last heard it was in planning with pretty far out date (2018/2019)

13. Fine Fermentations (4th and Frankfurt)

I ordered them by opening date (or by estimated open date) as best as I could.

Other breweries planning to open in Tulsa area: FAIK (Far As I Know), Kolibri and Indian Brewing Company at 333 W Dallas St Broken Arrow (Apparently "Indian" was too outrageously offensive even though it was started by someone who was Native American so they're changing the name. How progressive!). Also: High Gravity Homebrewing & Winemaking Supplies & Taproom (6808 S. Memorial) - currently open

Other brewpubs in Tulsa area: Bricktown Brewery (Owasso, Brookside & South Tulsa)

Excluding the Bricktown Brewery locations, that's a total of 17 places built or planned where you can buy beer straight from the source in the Tulsa area. 4 years ago there were zero.

Also related, Red Fork Distillery is going to open at 3310 Southwest Blvd and Oklahoma Distilling Co. is going to open at 1724 E. Seventh St, right across from Cabin Boys and Marshall.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:34:39 am by TulsaGoldenHurriCAN » Logged
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2018, 03:25:15 pm »

Update on former Indian Brewing Company which will be "Broken Arrow Brewing Co.":

What the Ale: Broken Arrow to get first official brewery

Oklahoma distributors prepare for upcoming revisions to tiered system in current law

History is in the making in Broken Arrow. The first official brewery is nearly complete in the former and historic Broken Arrow Light and Power Co. and Ice House building, 333 W. Dallas St.

Broken Arrow Brewing Co. is owned by Broken Arrow residents Austin Ferguson, Jason Northern and Bud Farris. Ferguson is the head brewer, and Northern also brews beer.

They worked to restore the building that was built in 1906, keeping it as original as possible, including the windows.

“We want you to feel like we do when we walk in, like you are going back in history, you are going to be drinking a beer in something that has been around before BA was even a city,” he said.

Building construction is always a challenge, but they have also had to sweat the name of the brewery.

“Our original name in 2011 was Indian Brewing Co. The reason I loved that name is I am a very proud Native American. I love that part of my history and my heritage that I came from the native side of really hardworking craftsmen,” Ferguson said.

Ferguson thought the name fit and even went to his tribe to get its blessing.

“Coming up with the name and talking with family and friends and talking with the tribe, they said they just didn’t want us to use a specific tribal name. So we thought everything was fine. We love the name being in the middle of Broken Arrow. It was just a love of our culture. There were some that were offended, so we didn’t want to offend anyone so we decided to become the Broken Arrow Brewing Co. We are still proud we are natively owned and operated,” Ferguson said.

Ferguson has been brewing since he got his first homebrew kit when he was 21. That was about 11 years ago. It has been a passion ever since. He teamed up with Northern, whom he taught to brew. Northern has a background in mechanical engineering and Ferguson has a background in electrical engineering, and they did a lot of the labor to put the brewery together.

“Just putting our two heads together really made this take off for us,” Ferguson said.

Ferguson has been looking for the right location for the first Broken Arrow brewery since 2011.

“About five years ago, I looked around Main Street, I joked that I saw a tumbleweed blow down,” Ferguson said.

Now, the Rose District in downtown Broken Arrow is at capacity, with many restaurants and shops. The good thing for Broken Arrow Brewing Co.’s investment is that the city of Broken Arrow built 150 public parking spots right in front of the planned brewery.

The five-barrel brewhouse is from Portland Kettle Works, and they also have four 10-barrel fermentation vessels and one 10-barrel brite tank. The taproom will have 12 tap handles but likely won’t use all of them until they are able to brew more. The taproom capacity is at 50, with overflow to the patio at 30.

“The reason we wanted to start off small is we wanted to grow, as most companies, as organically as possible, starting small and making sure that we are meeting the needs, that everyone enjoys the beer and we grow with our community. The Rose District is blowing up right now; we want to be there with them,” Ferguson said.

Plans are in place to open at the end of February or the first of March.

They plan on starting with traditional styles — a brown ale, Saison, a traditional India pale ale and a New England-style IPA, a stout and an Imperial Porter — and will add other varieties later.

They also plan on distributing three to six months after opening, catering to the Rose District and then to neighboring states in a year and a half.

“We are going to be a customer service company that brews beer. Talking with local business guys, if you have an issue, you talk to them. It is a small-town feel. I want that to be a part of our culture here. When you come in here, you talk to us,” Ferguson said.

“The love for doing something with your hands and getting to enjoy and share with other people, that is our passion. At the end of the day, we get to share that,” Ferguson said.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/whattheale/what-the-ale-broken-arrow-to-get-first-official-brewery/article_4f5c6220-562e-56d2-bb25-735fd00757fb.html
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2018, 03:29:12 pm »

Good to see the 4 breweries working together and with the neighborhood association. It was only a matter of time before someone set up a brewery crawl with so many concentrated and so many more to come. It would be logical to add in Dead Armadillo, Willow Family and Nothings Left and make it a very nice Ale Trail (or go all the way to Elgin Park and Prairie Brewpub even).

Tulsa’s Kendall Whittier District is turning into Tulsa’s brewery district, with four breweries located within a mile of one another.

To celebrate, the Kendall Whittier Main Street Association is hosting an Ale Trail from 1-5 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17.

Cabin Boys Brewery, Heirloom Rustic Ales, Marshall Brewing Co. and Renaissance Brewing Co., which is close to the Kendall Whittier District, will participate in the event.

Tickets go on sale at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 17.

A trolley will take you to each stop for samples. Your $40 ticket gets you samples at each brewery, a commemorative glass, the chance to win door prizes and a $5 Uber credit for getting home.

With only 50 seats available, this event will sell out quickly. For tickets and more information, visit historicKWMS.com.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/whattheale/what-the-ale-kendall-whittier-to-host-ale-trail-in/article_32481965-2879-5db8-b558-64dd664057c1.html#tncms-source=article-nav-next
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2018, 04:20:34 pm »

I wonder if anyone would get bent out of shape if I opened a brewery and called it White Boys Brewery or Whitey's Brewing Co.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2018, 05:11:17 pm »

I wonder if anyone would get bent out of shape if I opened a brewery and called it White Boys Brewery or Whitey's Brewing Co.

Open it around 4th and Yale and call it White City Brewery?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
joiei
City Father

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2018, 05:15:56 pm »

Updated list: Now there are ~13 breweries/taprooms planned or open within a couple miles of downtown. All in an easily bicyclable-path. In the Pearl District, there will be 5-6+.

Here is an updated list of all breweries/brewpubs existing or planned in midtown/downtown:

1. Marshall (618 S Wheeling Ave) - currently open with potential expansion at 1742 E 6th st

2.a Dead Armadillo taproom & restaurant at Tulsa International Airport - currently open

6. Renaissance (1147 S Lewis Ave) - under construction - now (finally) open

7. Taproom for American Solera (108 E 18 ST S) - Chase Healey who founded Prairie Artisan Ales - potentially with small-batch brewing (Existing brewery open on west 21st) - currently open

8. Heirloom Rustic Ales (2113 E. Admiral Blvd.) - Kendall-Whittier - under construction - currently open

9. Welltown Brewery (114 W Archer St) - corner of Cheyenne & Archer - to open soon

10. Nothing's Left Brewing (1501 E. Sixth St.) - plan to open March 2018 (They have redone exterior and looks like making progress inside also)

11. Willow Family Ales (418 S Peoria Ave) - at former Park in the Pearl - under construction (Looks like it hasn't changed much outside lately)

12. Hanson (302 N Boston Ave) - brewery across from Prairie brewpub - last heard it was in planning with pretty far out date (2018/2019)

13. Fine Fermentations (4th and Frankfurt)

Other breweries planning to open in Tulsa area: FAIK (Far As I Know), Kolibri and Indian Brewing Company at 333 W Dallas St Broken Arrow (Apparently "Indian" was too outrageously offensive even though it was started by someone who was Native American so they're changing the name. How progressive!). Also: High Gravity Homebrewing & Winemaking Supplies & Taproom (6808 S. Memorial) - currently open

Other brewpubs in Tulsa area: Bricktown Brewery (Owasso, Brookside & South Tulsa)

Excluding the Bricktown Brewery locations, that's a total of 17 places built or planned where you can buy beer straight from the source in the Tulsa area. 4 years ago there were zero.

Also related, Red Fork Distillery is going to open at 3310 Southwest Blvd and Oklahoma Distilling Co. is going to open at 1724 E. Seventh St, right across from Cabin Boys and Marshall.

What about Growler USA?  I know it isn't a brewery yet but they have a decent selection on tap. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2018, 08:33:05 am »

What about Growler USA?  I know it isn't a brewery yet but they have a decent selection on tap. 

Roosevelt's and McNellies have tremendous selection at/near the most taps in the state. I was just including places that brew their own beer since that is the thing that practically didn't exist until recently (That pizza place had a short run before getting closed down for selling stronger beer).
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2018, 08:39:49 am »

Open it around 4th and Yale and call it White City Brewery?

I know you're joking but "White City" comes from the Dairy farm which was there so that shouldn't be offensive to any one. that does sound like a pretty good name for a brewery. I know people are offended by that name without knowing that it's just named after the color of barns and silos that Braden built there. (http://tulsapreservationcommission.org/districts/white-city-historic-district/)
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2018, 08:54:10 am »

The building they renovated for the BA Brewing Co is really neat. Cool to see that old of a building survive despite looking like it sat there for many a decade not being used properly. Another great thing about breweries is the preservation of property: Of the 14 I listed, 12 renovated existing buildings (mostly older pre-1930's buildings) and the other 2 are new builds.  Whatever happens with the breweries in the future, those buildings have been renovated now and add to the overall look and vibe of the community.

Besides restaurants and retail, is there another industry which re-purposes so many buildings? Maybe architecture firms. Apartments too (although that's a far larger-scale industry). As a percentage though, it looks like breweries might have the highest rate of fixing up older existing buildings in the downtown/midtown areas, especially in the commercial/industrial realm. Most in OKC are remodels also.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2018, 11:40:20 am »

What has come of the brewery that was slated for Muskogee?  I remember reading an article on that around two years ago.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2018, 03:31:32 pm »

What has come of the brewery that was slated for Muskogee?  I remember reading an article on that around two years ago.

I think I remember hearing about that but nothing too recently.

Remember back when Prairie was going to open way out in BFE... around Mounds or Beggs? They bought the property but didn't realize a brewery can't (reasonably) operate on a septic system without a huge expensive septic pond so they never opened there. I'm selfishly glad it never worked out because know I would've never gone out there, but also because I doubt very many would've supported it outside of a few local beer fanatics/alcoholics and the occasional beer lover.

Hard for me to believe a stand-alone brewery would work out in every single tiny town in Oklahoma like it does in Colorado or NM. It takes some more tourism and more beer lovers which you don't get as much in the sticks.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2018, 12:00:45 pm »

Updated list: Now there are ~13 breweries/taprooms planned or open within a couple miles of downtown. All in an easily bicyclable-path. In the Pearl District, there will be 6-7+.

6. Renaissance (1147 S Lewis Ave) - under construction -  currently open

8. Heirloom Rustic Ales (2113 E. Admiral Blvd.) - Kendall-Whittier - currently open

9. Welltown Brewery (114 W Archer St) - corner of Cheyenne & Archer - to open June 22, 2018

10. Nothing's Left Brewing (1501 E. Sixth St.) - plan to open 2018 (They have redone exterior and looks like making progress inside also)

11. Willow Family Ales (418 S Peoria Ave) - at former Park in the Pearl - currently open (Opened May 2018)

13. New Era: Fine Fermentations (4th and Frankfurt) - Opening Fall 2018

Other breweries planning to open in Tulsa area: FAIK (Far As I Know), Kolibri and Broken Arrow Brewing Company at 333 W Dallas St Broken Arrow (Opening June, 2018). Also: High Gravity Homebrewing & Winemaking Supplies & Taproom (6808 S. Memorial) - currently open

Excluding the Bricktown Brewery locations, that's a total of 17 places built or planned where you can buy beer straight from the source in the Tulsa area. 5 years ago there were zero.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org