A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 08:46:29 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another brewery in Downtown Tulsa: Welltown  (Read 60816 times)
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 12:53:28 pm »

I'm also worried about the market being flooded with all these new taphouses, but it's a good problem to have. We've come a long way from just a few years ago.

Now is the time for all these places to really start diversifying more. Prairie has some good food, Elgin park has its pizza, McNellie's has the Irish pub thing down, there's the Max with the games angle, etc. etc. It's going to get interesting trying to find something to entice customers now that all the obvious concepts have been taken up. I mean, other than good beer...

The taphouses end up basically just being bars that make their own product.  I think they end up making an extra $1 or so every beer they sell over a normal bar.  Their biggest expense of Welltown is going to be their rent.  If you get a building large enough to put a full production brewery and then just put a tap room in it you are wasting a ton of money. The market is a little saturated and we are already seeing things getting revamped. Electric Circus is getting redone, I'm assuming its going to be a concept change as well.  Enso just had a remodel. Etc Etc.  There aren't a bunch of new people yet to partake in all the new restaurants and bars.  I think the money is just getting spread out more. If the new places aren't cannibalizing existing downtown locations they are pulling from someplace else in the city. Maybe people will travel into the city and eat JUST because a new place opened.  But I generally think they are coming from out of town and will eat anywhere downtown not just one spot.  You also have several places that have Kaiser subsidized rent below market prices.  So the tap house will have to compete with that if they are by the Brady as well.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:55:41 pm by CharlieSheen » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 09:40:19 pm »

What about next to Classic Cigar Lounge in the Brady? I've seen construction over there, and thought it would be a restaurant/extension of Classic. But maybe it's a good little brewery spot?

The cigar bar next to Hey Mambo! Hasn't done Hey Mambo! any favors.  There is an unmistakeable cigar odor in HM which is simply off-putting.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 04:36:23 pm »

They have announced they will be here, corner of Cheyenne & Archer.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 09:46:00 am »

They have announced they will be here, corner of Cheyenne & Archer.

I would never have guessed that spot,  but seems like a pretty good off the beaten path location. Pretty close to what some would call the shady part of downtown, but still technically in the Brady Arts District. It feels like the Brady sort of dies right there. I'm guessing they'll have to be a destination brewery at that spot. It'll need to be an experience with a cult following and great beer or it'll be tough to pay rent and stay open there. I doubt they'll get many people walking by or stumbling upon it there, especially on week nights. Building looks neat!

I hope that can help push development that way and down Cheyenne. Several neat old  brick facade buildings around there that have potential to be great urban developments. Would be neat to see the big parking lot between the Brady Theatre and there get developed. With the new Juvenile Detention Center going in nearby and the existing services already west of there, this is about as far west as the Brady District could ever go.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 11:28:57 am »

I would never have guessed that spot,  but seems like a pretty good off the beaten path location. Pretty close to what some would call the shady part of downtown, but still technically in the Brady Arts District. It feels like the Brady sort of dies right there. I'm guessing they'll have to be a destination brewery at that spot. It'll need to be an experience with a cult following and great beer or it'll be tough to pay rent and stay open there. I doubt they'll get many people walking by or stumbling upon it there, especially on week nights. Building looks neat!

I hope that can help push development that way and down Cheyenne. Several neat old  brick facade buildings around there that have potential to be great urban developments. Would be neat to see the big parking lot between the Brady Theatre and there get developed. With the new Juvenile Detention Center going in nearby and the existing services already west of there, this is about as far west as the Brady District could ever go.

Former Kuni's Karate School

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmx3zfe63ZQ
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:40:53 am by BKDotCom » Logged
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 01:47:25 pm »

Seems like a huge investment to buildout that old structure and will need to draw people into the tap room for revenue.  I really hope it works.  If their stuff is good, I'll support it best I can with my drinking dollars.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2017, 03:25:48 pm »

Gene Collins has a reputation as a very good brewer in the Tulsa home brewing community.  We will see how that translates on a commercial scale.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 09:59:58 pm »

Kendall-Whittier getting a brewery: Heirloom Rustic Ales.*

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/whattheale/what-the-ale-kendall-whittier-district-is-getting-a-brewery/article_32b4fa07-f2b4-56b0-ad30-51d811439f59.html

Since we've lately had some calls for better thread management, I'll pose this to the group: should this development get its own thread? Keep it here? Put it in Kendall-Whittier/6th&Lewis Demolition? Or start a thread on the number crop of craft breweries we're getting?

*No known connection to Rustic Cuff.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2017, 08:00:42 am »

I think each is worthy of its own thread.  I like that they have mostly thus far gone up within a relatively close radius of one another.  We can probably support a full blown Tulsa Brewery Tour within a couple of years.  Uber downtown, bus around the various breweries over a day, end back downtown, Uber home.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2017, 09:20:45 am »

Kendall-Whittier getting a brewery: Heirloom Rustic Ales.*

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/whattheale/what-the-ale-kendall-whittier-district-is-getting-a-brewery/article_32b4fa07-f2b4-56b0-ad30-51d811439f59.html

Since we've lately had some calls for better thread management, I'll pose this to the group: should this development get its own thread? Keep it here? Put it in Kendall-Whittier/6th&Lewis Demolition? Or start a thread on the number crop of craft breweries we're getting?

*No known connection to Rustic Cuff.

There's so many craft breweries/brewpubs opening around downtown/Pearl/Kendall areas that I think they deserve a thread for that. This thread works for that purpose if the title could change to "New Breweries/Brewpubs in midtown". With each brewpub, they aren't big projects like the Gathering Place or Santa Fe Square so we won't get many updates except for when they announce it and when it is finished so a thread for each would just clog up this board.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2017, 09:24:40 am »

Marshall Brewing Company purchased a building on 6th street (1742 E 6th st) which they might eventually turn into a tap room.

Lets hope they can expand production and have big enough crowds to warrant renovating that into a tap room as that would be yet another rehabbed old facade building boosting the area.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2017, 09:55:26 am »

Yet another brewery in Downtown Tulsa...

Always hate to rain on a parade...
Is this really that big a thing we got going?  Seems like a disproportionate amount of time/energy/money spent on the topic.  Beer and pizza is truly a great thing...well, along with many other foods.  Are there really enough people into this to support what seems to be a fairly large number of micro-breweries??   If there are, that's great, but getting a feeling it is being way over-hyped.

Just curious...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2017, 10:35:45 am »

Here is an updated list of all breweries/brewpubs existing or planned in midtown/downtown:

1. Marshall (618 S Wheeling Ave) - currently open with potential expansion at 1742 E 6th st

2. Dead Armadillo (1004 E 4th St) - currently open

3. Prairie Brew Pub (223 N Main St) - currently open

4. Elgin Park Brewpub (325 E Mathew B. Brady St) - currently open

5. Renaissance (1147 S Lewis Ave) - under construction - to open soon

6. Taproom for American Solera (108 E 18 ST S) - Chase Healey who founded Prairie Artisan Ales - potentially with small-batch brewing (Existing brewery open on west 21st)

7. Willow Family Ales (418 S Peoria Ave) - at former Park in the Pearl - under construction

8. Cabin Boys (1717 E 7th St) - Pearl District

9. Welltown Brewery (114 W Archer St) - corner of Cheyenne & Archer

10. Heirloom Rustic Ales (2113 E. Admiral Blvd.) - Kendall-Whittier - under construction

11. Hanson (302 N Boston Ave) - brewery across from Prairie brewpub - last heard it was in planning with pretty far out date (2018)

I ordered them by opening date (or by estimated open date) as best as I could.

Other breweries planning to open in Tulsa area: FAIK (Far As I Know), Kolibri and Nothing's Left Brewing, High Gravity Taproom at 68th & Memorial, Indian Brewing Company at 333 W Dallas St Broken Arrow

Other brewpubs in Tulsa area: Bricktown Brewery (Owasso, Brookside & South Tulsa)

Excluding the Bricktown locations, that's a total of 16 places built or planned where you can buy beer straight from the source in the Tulsa area. 4 years ago there were zero.

Are there any others I am missing?
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2017, 10:52:37 am »

Yet another brewery in Downtown Tulsa...

Always hate to rain on a parade...
Is this really that big a thing we got going?  Seems like a disproportionate amount of time/energy/money spent on the topic.  Beer and pizza is truly a great thing...well, along with many other foods.  Are there really enough people into this to support what seems to be a fairly large number of micro-breweries??   If there are, that's great, but getting a feeling it is being way over-hyped.

Just curious...

Pre-prohibition there were over four thousand breweries around the US. Afterwards, only a few hundred existed and thanks to consolidation and aggressive macro breweries with lawmakers in their pockets, the number dwindled to less than 90 in the 70s & 80s! Now there are thousands again, finally more than before the prohibition despite over two hundred million more people.

Tulsa has been so drastically far behind other cities due to prohibition-era laws in place. As those are getting lifted, the market for local craft beer is finally being met. After all of these on the above list are opened, we will have about as many as much smaller cities like Springfield, MO or Fayetteville (but still fewer than the extended Bentonville-Rogers-Springdale-Fayetteville area which is still much smaller than Tulsa). OKC is also far ahead of Tulsa with breweries.

Craft beers are a huge hobby. So many delicious styles and variations. Craft brewing has exploded because of this. It cultivates a great community environment at the brewpubs. It's not like a dark noisy smelly bar full of obnoxious drunks. They typically have great patios, games, interesting people and a laid back but festive atmosphere (food trucks, live music). If you haven't been, maybe go see what it's like first. Most the time I go, I only have 1 beer and a snack. It's about spending time with others who appreciate similar things. Currently, they have to close early (7/8pm) so getting drunk there isn't really much of a thing either.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 11:18:35 am »

Pre-prohibition there were over four thousand breweries around the US. Afterwards, only a few hundred existed and thanks to consolidation and aggressive macro breweries with lawmakers in their pockets, the number dwindled to less than 90 in the 70s & 80s! Now there are thousands again, finally more than before the prohibition despite over two hundred million more people.

Tulsa has been so drastically far behind other cities due to prohibition-era laws in place. As those are getting lifted, the market for local craft beer is finally being met. After all of these on the above list are opened, we will have about as many as much smaller cities like Springfield, MO or Fayetteville (but still fewer than the extended Bentonville-Rogers-Springdale-Fayetteville area which is still much smaller than Tulsa). OKC is also far ahead of Tulsa with breweries.

Craft beers are a huge hobby. So many delicious styles and variations. Craft brewing has exploded because of this. It cultivates a great community environment at the brewpubs. It's not like a dark noisy smelly bar full of obnoxious drunks. They typically have great patios, games, interesting people and a laid back but festive atmosphere (food trucks, live music). If you haven't been, maybe go see what it's like first. Most the time I go, I only have 1 beer and a snack. It's about spending time with others who appreciate similar things. Currently, they have to close early (7/8pm) so getting drunk there isn't really much of a thing either.

I am not condemning - just asking for the answer you just gave!  Yeah, may have to start going.  I found a chain restaurant/bar/grill in Milwaukee - Rock Bottom - that I enjoy quite a bit.  They had a homemade dark beer they said was brewed without hops - or at least very minimal.  It was magnificent!!  Only problem was they rotate it through the list and the next couple of times I was there it was not available.  Still waiting for it to rotate back through.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org