A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:34:56 am
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedestrian Bridge  (Read 139692 times)
tulsamatt
Activist

« Reply #330 on: April 15, 2022, 10:04:36 am »

First parts of the recreational flume are starting to take shape. Photo from 4/14

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #331 on: April 15, 2022, 05:02:21 pm »

The civil engineering on this project is fascinating.  Glad to see them using the sandstone instead of the white rocks they used along the Crow Creek inlet

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #332 on: April 29, 2022, 12:52:25 pm »

So it looks like we're getting most of the bells and whistles after all... pretty proud of my company for putting up some of the cash for this. Smiley

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/private-donors-pitch-in-7-2-million-to-push-pedestrian-bridge-construction-forward/article_0accc620-bc42-11ec-b8e2-f7eb2760aaf8.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share&fbclid=IwAR26wvRN8J8sakbsmYQGneMl9jj9Y5Q6kqs5PMev88O7wyvTNvlXMk_F2sU
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2022, 02:09:11 pm »

I figured they'd eventually find a donor, glad to see Williams step up as usual to help add some of the needed items. I'm still baffled why shade is not a bigger priority of the city to include. The seating will be useless most of the year without shade structures. At least a big step forward to making the utility of the bridge better.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #334 on: May 01, 2022, 12:56:39 pm »

I figured they'd eventually find a donor, glad to see Williams step up as usual to help add some of the needed items. I'm still baffled why shade is not a bigger priority of the city to include. The seating will be useless most of the year without shade structures. At least a big step forward to making the utility of the bridge better.

Yeah it seems like they could have done the shade thing instead of like the LEDs? I mean the LEDs will be cool and all, but I’d rather have the shade structure. But it seems like they are just maybe working on more corporate donations for that part… I bet it will be added eventually.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #335 on: May 01, 2022, 06:37:08 pm »

Yeah it seems like they could have done the shade thing instead of like the LEDs? I mean the LEDs will be cool and all, but I’d rather have the shade structure. But it seems like they are just maybe working on more corporate donations for that part… I bet it will be added eventually.

I don’t get the fascination with the shade structure.  You don’t have shade structures over the rest of the trails why is it needed on the bridge? 

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #336 on: May 01, 2022, 07:02:34 pm »

I don’t get the fascination with the shade structure.  You don’t have shade structures over the rest of the trails why is it needed on the bridge? 

No trees
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #337 on: May 01, 2022, 07:25:54 pm »

I don’t get the fascination with the shade structure.  You don’t have shade structures over the rest of the trails why is it needed on the bridge?  

Back in the 80's I believe, the old bridge was great for watching 4th of July fireworks when they were using the old 11th street bridge to fire from. You could get there early, have shade, and if there was a breeze across the river or Zink Lake it made it a bit cooler.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #338 on: May 01, 2022, 08:32:32 pm »

It comes down to the uses/utility of the bridge. If you're going to put seating on the bridge, it needs shade. My irritations with the bridge originally was that if we want to tear down the old one for a "bigger, better" new bridge that it should at least have the same or more utility. Right now the bridge is really only going to be good for bike riders and probably joggers. We were sold on the idea that the bridge would have the ability to be utilized for more casual visitors as well. Especially for the Gathering Place users, there should be a significant amount of more casual users who are walking versus bike/running/exercise and those users would be spending more time on the structure. Without shade why would any casual user want to be on the bridge or gather on the bridge. The added amenities from Williams will help, but without shade the seating will be unusable most of the year.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #339 on: May 01, 2022, 08:41:35 pm »

Without shade why would any casual user want to be on the bridge or gather on the bridge. The added amenities from Williams will help, but without shade the seating will be unusable most of the year.

I think really only from mid-May to mid-September.  But yes, we were sold on year-round usability.

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #340 on: May 02, 2022, 08:29:44 am »

It comes down to the uses/utility of the bridge. If you're going to put seating on the bridge, it needs shade. My irritations with the bridge originally was that if we want to tear down the old one for a "bigger, better" new bridge that it should at least have the same or more utility. Right now the bridge is really only going to be good for bike riders and probably joggers. We were sold on the idea that the bridge would have the ability to be utilized for more casual visitors as well. Especially for the Gathering Place users, there should be a significant amount of more casual users who are walking versus bike/running/exercise and those users would be spending more time on the structure. Without shade why would any casual user want to be on the bridge or gather on the bridge. The added amenities from Williams will help, but without shade the seating will be unusable most of the year.

I get your point, but "most of the year" seems a bit extreme.  It's maybe June-August where having no shade would be untenable for the vast majority of the time, and even then there are times when it isn't quite as hot, it's cloudy, etc., and also people don't just use it in the heat of the day... tons of people walk on the trails in the morning and in the evening when it could be used in the summer.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #341 on: May 02, 2022, 09:43:29 am »

Shade solution:  Just provide bridge crossing umbrellas on each end. 
Install the umbrella app on your phone to rent the umbrella.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #342 on: May 04, 2022, 12:21:30 am »

Shade solution:  Just provide bridge crossing umbrellas on each end. 
Install the umbrella app on your phone to rent the umbrella.

NOT acceptable. Will the City of Tulsa pay for the cell phones (or iPads) required for the apps?

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #343 on: May 04, 2022, 11:12:12 am »

I get your point, but "most of the year" seems a bit extreme.  It's maybe June-August where having no shade would be untenable for the vast majority of the time, and even then there are times when it isn't quite as hot, it's cloudy, etc., and also people don't just use it in the heat of the day... tons of people walk on the trails in the morning and in the evening when it could be used in the summer.

If the Gathering Place was open later I do think the bridge would have more utility. I think the lighting is actually a good thing because in the summer it makes it safer to use at night/early morning.

The bridge will primarily be used March - probably October and a handful of nice days during the colder months. So if you can't really use it during the middle of the day from mid-June to early September then you're losing the bridge's utility for a huge portion of the year.

When they picked the architect and bridge design I didn't think they'd ever add shading structures anyways. It doesn't fit the design aesthetic so it was more so a bait and switch on that particular amenity to get the other bridge torn down. Even if they were able to get the money for it a highly doubt any shading structures will ever be installed for aesthetic reasons.

I still wish this bridge was located at the northern entrance of the Gathering Place and was dedicated to bikes/runners and then kept the old bridge for passive users and just refurbish the decking, etc. as needed. 

I'm at least glad they are adding some seating, lights, etc. overall it is better to have all that then not. The bridge will still get plenty of use from active users anyways.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2022, 06:00:18 am »

They should name it the Melanoma Bridge.  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org