A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:42:46 am
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedestrian Bridge  (Read 141214 times)
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #300 on: October 28, 2021, 06:51:59 am »

They used weathering steel. That’s why there was no money left over for amenities.

Well then - I stand corrected. That is gonna streak the crap out of the support pillars.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #301 on: October 28, 2021, 07:18:03 am »

Well then - I stand corrected. That is gonna streak the crap out of the support pillars.

It shouldn’t come off if it’s coated correctly.  It will require annual maintenance and periodic recoating though.  Evidently the increased budget also includes the promised lighting and upgraded railings (not sure if that means aluminum or glass)

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #302 on: October 28, 2021, 12:06:23 pm »

It shouldn’t come off if it’s coated correctly.  It will require annual maintenance and periodic recoating though.  Evidently the increased budget also includes the promised lighting and upgraded railings (not sure if that means aluminum or glass)

Weathering steel:
https://usbridge.com/what-is-weathering-steel/

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #303 on: October 28, 2021, 12:38:08 pm »

Weathering or corten is about 2x the cost of regular steel. Imagine what kind of bridge we could have had if they just used regular steel instead. Would have at least gave back $5 million or more I bet that could have gone to shade, wider bridge deck, seating, etc. that we were all told they couldn't afford.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #304 on: October 28, 2021, 12:50:43 pm »

Weathering or corten is about 2x the cost of regular steel. Imagine what kind of bridge we could have had if they just used regular steel instead. Would have at least gave back $5 million or more I bet that could have gone to shade, wider bridge deck, seating, etc. that we were all told they couldn't afford.

While I agree with your thought here,  I wonder if "we" could afford to maintain a bridge made of regular steel.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #305 on: October 28, 2021, 12:53:06 pm »

I kind of remember comments that weathering steel was used for the bridges at the 169/Creek interchange near 91st St.  Anybody know for certain?

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #306 on: October 28, 2021, 04:17:01 pm »

Interesting note about weathered steel - "Cor-ten can be challenging and even damaging to surrounding areas if used improperly. Rust bleeding or runoff from the steel surface can stain surrounding paint, stucco, stone or concrete. Avoid using this material where staining can be a problem. Also, this material is sensitive to humid climates and it is possible that in these areas the protective patina may not form properly, thus allowing the steel to continue to corrode." Seems like a great choice for a bridge above a river in a humid city that is less than stellar at regular infrastructure maintenance. Maybe we should have just built a SkyRide over the river?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #307 on: October 28, 2021, 10:25:46 pm »

Maybe we should have just built a SkyRide over the river?

A zip line would be fun.  It would take a tall tower though.

A tall tower on both ends would allow a return trip.  Grin

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 11:11:27 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #308 on: October 28, 2021, 11:13:02 pm »

There is a newer railroad bridge in over I-235 just south of I-44 in OKC that is also weathering steel.  It’s been there a couple years not sure if it has significantly changed in appearance since they first installed it.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #309 on: October 29, 2021, 01:51:04 pm »

Aerial of the coffer dam showing the construction of the bridge and dam

This will be a killer view once the dam, bridge and river bank improvements are finished along the east bank (and the chain link fence comes down!)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:58:49 pm by SXSW » Logged

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #310 on: October 29, 2021, 02:18:26 pm »

Great shots
Arkansas Rio Gator
Citizen

« Reply #311 on: November 05, 2021, 01:14:45 pm »

Just about anyone who wants to better understand what officials have done should read this.

https://pedbridge.com/essential-bridge-information-handout/

(By the way, this is not meant as an attack on the Gateway bridge itself. It is not that poor bridge's fault that it is being built upon such a dishonest foundation...)

Happy Thanksgiving!
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #312 on: November 14, 2021, 07:41:11 pm »

No way are they permanent. It's just a bunch of scrap angle iron and some pieces of flat steel probably cut with a metal brake that are put in place for support during transport. I'm assuming they will remove the temp supports, fill holes, and coat the remaining elements when in place since unless they're shooting for rust streaks going down the foundations which is probably a little too steampunk for the masses.

Also - all grades of steel rust. You have to get into an allow like stainless steel to get any kind of corrosion resistance without some sort of coating being added (like a powdercoat). I seriously doubt they used weathering steel on this since the budget was already shot. Hopefully they'll budget some money to do a yearly repaint or at least touch-up of the bridge.

Looks like CoreTen steel where the rust is.  The angles are not or they would also be rusted by now - takes just a few weeks to get weathered.  And the rust IS the finish!  (Just like the 'Brown Bess' muskets from the Revolutionary War.)   With CoreTen, it is not supposed to streak after some short  time.

I am very much wanting to use that stuff on my barn roof, but it is SO gawd awful expensive!   Looks great, though, along with the old barn wood siding!   Now all I need is to get someone who can paint "Meramec Caverns" billboard signs on the side!   And "See Rock City"!   The Burma Shave signs I will take care of myself...I know people with Cricuts!

Edit; just saw your note about streaking steel... I kinda think that is a disclaimer "just in case".  I had seen a couple of barns that had it on the roof and neither had any streaking.  They got more from rusty nails and screws in the siding.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 07:45:57 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
brettakins
Activist

« Reply #313 on: November 30, 2021, 03:31:20 pm »

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #314 on: December 01, 2021, 03:14:48 pm »

Awesome shot, I think this will really be an iconic view of our city with the skyline, river and two arched bridges.  Now just need a few more new residential highrises in Riverview   Grin

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org