A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:54:18 pm
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedestrian Bridge  (Read 139696 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #285 on: October 26, 2021, 09:09:48 pm »

Looking forward to watching more pieces get installed.  I know this bridge has its detractors but I think it will look really cool especially lit up at night.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #286 on: October 27, 2021, 08:20:41 am »

Looking forward to watching more pieces get installed.  I know this bridge has its detractors but I think it will look really cool especially lit up at night.

Are we talking dancing LED lights or just white lights? A disco bridge would be kinda cool.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #287 on: October 27, 2021, 08:41:07 am »

It's not going to look like that rendering though. It's been changed multiple times. The vertical pieces aren't slanted anymore, and the arches are far less sleek.

When it's all said and done, it will be nice to have a bridge again, but the design is forgettable and won't be noticed. This isn't going to be a bridge people will care about or take pictures of. The whitewater flume will be a far bigger deal, assuming it ever opens or works the way it is intended. Hope it doesn't turn into another "boathouse".
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #288 on: October 27, 2021, 10:57:26 am »

It looks pretty similar to the rendering - especially after the cross braces come off that are in place while moving the pieces.  The TW article indicates they will finish the west side by February and then will start working on the east side to connect it with the expected opening in spring 2023

Newer rendering
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 11:12:55 am by SXSW » Logged

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #289 on: October 27, 2021, 11:48:14 am »

It looks pretty similar to the rendering - especially after the cross braces come off that are in place while moving the pieces.  The TW article indicates they will finish the west side by February and then will start working on the east side to connect it with the expected opening in spring 2023

Might look like the newer rendering but looks nothing like what was sold to voters... big yikes. This is one project I'm so disappointed in. I'll try to reserve some hope to see what the actual decking is like when it's finished on what the width, etc. ends up being. I do like the copper type color, that type of material is so expensive though, still think the priorities of the design/materials is in the wrong place. They'd rather have an Instagram type picture of the copperish color against the water/skyline than spend the money on the function of the bridge for actual users.

Hopefully they have the budget to light the thing at night haha  Undecided
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 11:55:45 am by LandArchPoke » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #290 on: October 27, 2021, 12:49:18 pm »

How wide is the bridge deck?  Arched base looks super narrow (around 4') and it appears as though the vertical parts angle outward, but guessing the deck is perhaps 10' wide?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Jake
Citizen

« Reply #291 on: October 27, 2021, 01:41:47 pm »

Newer rendering

[/quote]

Ew.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #292 on: October 27, 2021, 02:18:09 pm »

How wide is the bridge deck?  Arched base looks super narrow (around 4') and it appears as though the vertical parts angle outward, but guessing the deck is perhaps 10' wide?

I would think it would match the width of the Midland Valley trail.  The actual deck is wider than the steel deck on the arches.  

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #293 on: October 27, 2021, 03:08:50 pm »

Or maybe the diagonals stay after engineering analysis.  They would go nicely with an Art-Deco city if the bolted joints were rivets instead.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #294 on: October 27, 2021, 05:10:48 pm »

Or maybe the diagonals stay after engineering analysis.  They would go nicely with an Art-Deco city if the bolted joints were rivets instead.

I don’t mind them kind of wish they were staying to be honest.  But if they were the steel would need to match

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #295 on: October 27, 2021, 05:42:02 pm »

I don’t mind them kind of wish they were staying to be honest.  But if they were the steel would need to match

They just look a bit elaborate to temporary.  I don't know enough about the grade(s) of steel that form protective rust to say whether that would work.  Maybe the angles are not made in the steel that can rust for protection.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #296 on: October 27, 2021, 10:17:24 pm »

They just look a bit elaborate to temporary.  I don't know enough about the grade(s) of steel that form protective rust to say whether that would work.  Maybe the angles are not made in the steel that can rust for protection.

I guess they could be permanent, they aren’t in the latest rendering and don’t match the finish of the rest of the steel is why I assumed they were temporary supports.  I guess we’ll find out over the next few months.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #297 on: October 27, 2021, 11:23:50 pm »

I guess they could be permanent, they aren’t in the latest rendering and don’t match the finish of the rest of the steel is why I assumed they were temporary supports.  I guess we’ll find out over the next few months.

I'm sure we will find out sooner or later.  Steel arch bridges with some truss elements can be interesting.

https://bridgehunter.com/category/tag/steel-arch/

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #298 on: October 28, 2021, 05:44:07 am »

I guess they could be permanent, they aren’t in the latest rendering and don’t match the finish of the rest of the steel is why I assumed they were temporary supports.  I guess we’ll find out over the next few months.

No way are they permanent. It's just a bunch of scrap angle iron and some pieces of flat steel probably cut with a metal brake that are put in place for support during transport. I'm assuming they will remove the temp supports, fill holes, and coat the remaining elements when in place since unless they're shooting for rust streaks going down the foundations which is probably a little too steampunk for the masses.

Also - all grades of steel rust. You have to get into an allow like stainless steel to get any kind of corrosion resistance without some sort of coating being added (like a powdercoat). I seriously doubt they used weathering steel on this since the budget was already shot. Hopefully they'll budget some money to do a yearly repaint or at least touch-up of the bridge.
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #299 on: October 28, 2021, 06:36:51 am »

No way are they permanent. It's just a bunch of scrap angle iron and some pieces of flat steel probably cut with a metal brake that are put in place for support during transport. I'm assuming they will remove the temp supports, fill holes, and coat the remaining elements when in place since unless they're shooting for rust streaks going down the foundations which is probably a little too steampunk for the masses.

Also - all grades of steel rust. You have to get into an allow like stainless steel to get any kind of corrosion resistance without some sort of coating being added (like a powdercoat). I seriously doubt they used weathering steel on this since the budget was already shot. Hopefully they'll budget some money to do a yearly repaint or at least touch-up of the bridge.

They used weathering steel. That’s why there was no money left over for amenities.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org