A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:19:43 pm
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedestrian Bridge  (Read 139701 times)
Arkansas Rio Gator
Citizen

« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2021, 06:29:54 pm »

When I first started driving in 1979, the 11th St. bridge was open for all four lanes. Then a couple of years later the report came out that there were problems with the bridge and it was narrowed to two lanes, no vehicles over 10,000 lbs, and no pedestrian traffic, and then by '82 or '83 late 1980 it was closed and the new bridge was in place. Pedestrian traffic was close off in 2008.

I just remember everyone saying something to the effect of "The bridge is at a point of imminent collapse". I don't doubt that there where structural defects, it's just like how many other hundreds of bridges in the state that for decades was a case of deferred maintenance like the bridges on the BA from Yale to downtown.(specifically Yale to Utica)

The same seems to be true for the Midland bridge. I remember when it first opened it was only half way, but it had one or two observation decks on the top side, that were later removed since they were deemed unsafe because of structural issues with the bridge, and that was 40+ years ago.

I know there were question about it's structural condition after the floods in '84, '86, and I want to say that there was one or two more in the late 90's early 00's that there was long periods of high water flows in the river.

modified to reflect info according to Wiki

Yes, it's been through a lot, hasn't it? The only thing actually taking the Midland down anytime soon, probably, is deliberate demolition (ultimately based on untruths). It REALLY would make a WHOLE LOT of sense to say, forget the absurdly expensive plans and stick with history and shade; fix up the bridge, have cyclists dismount when it's too crowded (or ride to 21st, etc.), save millions upon millions, and pick a better (actually doable) new bridge design next time the public gets to "choose" a bridge, for elsewhere on the river.
Arkansas Rio Gator
Citizen

« Reply #271 on: January 11, 2021, 01:08:49 pm »

Like Zingo?  ;-)

Seriously, there are a couple places in The Gathering Place where the old bridge could be repurposed and preserved.

Let's hear it! Never know. Sure would be better than the current plan I've seen. Someone else has suggested a spot in Bixby, and someone else suggested another spot. Again, any of those would sure be better than the current plan I've seen. More on that plan later.

(*I raise the above despite maintaining my position that the original bridge should be left in place, and the new bridge adjusted to allow that, one way or another. I'd still like to hear your ideas considering the worst case scenario! hah*) 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 01:28:16 pm by Arkansas Rio Gator » Logged
Arkansas Rio Gator
Citizen

« Reply #272 on: January 26, 2021, 05:21:03 pm »

New content...

https://pedbridge.com/statements-of-support-for-keeping-the-midland-valley-bridge-standing/

https://pedbridge.com/history-and-historical-integrity-on-the-line/

Arkansas Rio Gator
Citizen

« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2021, 02:14:56 pm »

https://www.facebook.com/TulsaPedestrianBridge/posts/169878848287444
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #274 on: April 07, 2021, 12:19:11 pm »

It's not available to people without a Facebook account.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #275 on: May 11, 2021, 02:15:36 pm »

It's not available to people without a Facebook account.

Lol....gotta have Facebook!   How else can the entire interwebz snoop into your life?   

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #276 on: May 11, 2021, 02:31:56 pm »

Lol....gotta have Facebook!   How else can the entire interwebz snoop into your life?   

There seems to be plenty of other opportunities, although some of the info is incorrect.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2021, 01:41:54 pm »

There seems to be plenty of other opportunities, although some of the info is incorrect.

Probably good!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #278 on: May 26, 2021, 12:13:22 pm »

I mean it's literally in the process of being dismantled right now. It can't be stopped. I wish there was another solution, but it's too late, and preservation has lost the fight. Disappointing, but not sure what is left other than complaining about another piece of history being lost. Calls, emails, none of it matters now.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #279 on: May 26, 2021, 12:37:45 pm »

I mean it's literally in the process of being dismantled right now. It can't be stopped. I wish there was another solution, but it's too late, and preservation has lost the fight. Disappointing, but not sure what is left other than complaining about another piece of history being lost. Calls, emails, none of it matters now.

I was curious if they were attempting to save any of the old bridge sections.  Looking forward to seeing them make progress on the new bridge. 

buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #280 on: June 04, 2021, 04:15:51 pm »

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/demolition-of-pedestrian-bridge-over-arkansas-river-begins/article_41de3bce-b394-11eb-9ded-5fdd09de985e.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

They did say that they were looking for a way to let people take home a section, which would be a neat piece of memorabilia to have.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #281 on: July 01, 2021, 11:50:34 pm »

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #282 on: September 13, 2021, 07:48:22 am »

Current status. It looks like they've been busy on the embankment areas on the Gathering Place side. Some of those ghost pathways will be removed soon, hopefully.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #283 on: September 13, 2021, 08:03:02 am »

Would love to have a couple big truck loads of those timbers and lumber!

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #284 on: October 26, 2021, 08:32:50 pm »

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/watch-now-new-arkansas-river-pedestrian-bridge-taking-shape-with-addition-of-massive-arches/article_a928814c-2d2c-11ec-b6df-271e69b98ff7.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

First pieces are going up.

Note that the cross bracings are temporary.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org