A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2020, 06:23:14 pm
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedestrian Bridge  (Read 45096 times)
Arkansas Rio Gator
Citizen

« Reply #225 on: November 20, 2020, 01:26:52 am »

I have been informed (elsewhere) that...

"There are going to be a lot of stakeholders moving forward in the use of the new bridge and also the new dam underneath, with its kayaking flume, etc."

To these stakeholders and co. I would be tempted to say…

“The new dam, flume, etc., might be great, and there may be money to be made, but the new bridge itself is a mistake—downgrading from what we already had in key ways—and a preventable mistake at that (so much the worse). The 1917 bridge should not be demolished for it, of all possibilities. Clearly, many thousands feel this way; I have only encountered a small representative sample, already evidenced by the petition. Said stakeholders should read the 2015 HNTB report from beginning to end, for starters, and see about saving some money and keeping/renovating something truly unique. It ain’t too late to stop this Brookside Blunder (or, anyhow, it should not be.) Have a nice day and Happy Thanksgiving.”
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #226 on: Today at 11:55:38 am »

Have you looked at the HNTB report?

They have the cred:

https://www.hntb.com/bridges/

Look at the numbers in their report.

I'm not saying that it is wrong, just that I would much rather have a contractor give us an estimate on something that is fairly abnormal. We are now comparing a 5 year old preliminary study done using RS Means and ODOT historical pricing to an as-bid price. They aren't really the same thing. I think your argument is strong enough that the new bridge as designed isn't a good use of our money compared to other options (KKT Bridge?). But I don't buy for an instant that we could rehab the old bridge for half the price of a new bridge. I think HNTB lowballed the repair option and we picked an expensive and bad new bridge.

Also, that is interesting about design-built. I think this would be a perfect implementation for it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org