A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:04:20 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedestrian Bridge  (Read 141227 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2018, 11:59:12 am »

Where's Sauer been?  Kind of odd he hasn't been popping in to complain about how the taxpayers can't afford to maintain the Gathering Place.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2018, 12:32:59 pm »

Kind of my thought as well, given that we all had a pretty good idea about how old he was.  That's my first guess anyway.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2018, 06:41:22 am »

Wave park/rapids moving to the west bank (like it was before)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2018, 09:32:43 am »

Wave park/rapids moving to the west bank (like it was before)

Not on the east side?  That is what is shown in the renderings

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2018, 10:59:00 am »

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2018, 11:07:20 am »

Monorail?  Release the Inhofe!

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2018, 11:09:16 am »

One of the nicest things about the old bridge was the cover.  Made it bearable to watch the sand in the river when it was 100 degrees outside...   

Oh well...   Such is the price of progress. 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2018, 11:47:09 am »

One of the nicest things about the old bridge was the cover.  Made it bearable to watch the sand in the river when it was 100 degrees outside...   

Oh well...   Such is the price of progress. 

Shade structures are planned but we can't afford them right now

TeeDub
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2018, 03:28:35 pm »

Those aren't in your earlier picture...   Of course, that one also shows a glass guardrail as well.

Would it be silly to suggest they just use the existing concrete piers to save money for the bridge or is that idea already off the table?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2018, 06:00:07 pm »

Would it be silly to suggest they just use the existing concrete piers to save money for the bridge or is that idea already off the table?

I believe there were some structural problems with the piers too.  I looked through this thread but couldn't find the reference.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 06:01:53 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2018, 09:51:34 pm »

I actually preferred the old trestle bridge to any of the proposed ones. Sentimentality perhaps, but it had character.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2018, 08:17:25 am »

I actually preferred the old trestle bridge to any of the proposed ones. Sentimentality perhaps, but it had character.

Me too.   But unfortunately, I have learned that what I like, and the possibilities of putting millions of taxpayer dollars into someone's pocket rarely have similar interests.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2018, 08:24:59 am »

I too preferred the old bridge.  Old bridge next to a shiny new park would have been awesome.  I really hope we had the engineering study double checked before committing to investing $100mil (or whatever) to replace it.  I'd probably get a second opinion before replacing an engine in my car for $1k...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2018, 12:47:37 pm »

Yeah, it kinda would. Those existing concrete piers are the whole reason the bridge has to be replaced. They were found to be basically gravel held together by sheeting and straps. The concrete completely deteriorated years ago and it has been unsafe for a long time. Kind of a scandal, IMO... Fortunately we never had to pay the consequences. Hopefully that was the only bridge like that.  Roll Eyes
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2018, 01:51:12 pm »

Yeah, it kinda would. Those existing concrete piers are the whole reason the bridge has to be replaced. They were found to be basically gravel held together by sheeting and straps. The concrete completely deteriorated years ago and it has been unsafe for a long time. Kind of a scandal, IMO... Fortunately we never had to pay the consequences. Hopefully that was the only bridge like that.  Roll Eyes

How old is that bridge...??   About 100 years... (1915 or so.)   Not sure that is much of a scandal - - lasted and was used for a long time for trains (until 1974).  Especially compared to new highways we have that are getting rebuilt every 4 to 5 years or so.  But they are assfault, so that's ok...  Jobs!!

There are a lot more bridges like that and worse in this state.  There were several on the Turner Turnpike that I commented on repeatedly for quite a while.  They did a major replace cycle on some of them a few years ago.   The state has several hundred more that are also bad.

http://okbridges.wkinsler.com/tulsa_county/arkansasbridge8.html

This is kinda interesting....

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/news/throwbacktulsa/throwback-tulsa-we-built-a-bridge-to-the-future-in/article_6ab158de-cee3-58ef-990a-d7f75f10f053.html

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:54:44 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org