A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:47:51 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedestrian Bridge  (Read 139676 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2017, 12:23:03 pm »

I overheard someone discussing this at a downtown bar over the weekend. They kept calling it "The Glowing Earthworm Bridge"

And that is what I will see going forward.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2017, 12:26:41 pm »

I'm confused. There's water in the river in these pictures.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2017, 12:38:56 pm »

There's water in the river now. Lots of it.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2017, 01:32:26 pm »

Even during dry season there will be water in the river at this location once they permanently fix the dam (which isn't rendered).  I don't know how that affects the rocky area to the south if it will look the same or not depending on water flow.  

Vision 2025 or someone knowledgeable, what is the construction timeline for the Zink Dam improvements, whitewater flume and this new pedestrian bridge?  

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2017, 01:34:13 pm »

I think it looks awesome at night. The lighting and reflection would really make it stand out. That is a blurry image. It looks far more refined in the better-quality image. It could probably use some refinement to make it look a bit more wavy and smooth at some points, but the concept really stands out.

This one is maybe slightly better quality (mostly just scaled so you can see it without it being as blurry):
https://www.facebook.com/KKTArchitects/photos/a.549088211790683.123933.160491340650374/1562996913733136/?type=3

Tri-Arch and option 2 are both much better ideas.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2017, 01:35:11 pm »

There's water in the river now. Lots of it.

If we had a canal system, we could be storing up some of that water for future use.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2017, 02:09:49 pm »

I think it looks awesome at night. The lighting and reflection would really make it stand out. That is a blurry image. It looks far more refined in the better-quality image. It could probably use some refinement to make it look a bit more wavy and smooth at some points, but the concept really stands out.

This one is maybe slightly better quality (mostly just scaled so you can see it without it being as blurry):
https://www.facebook.com/KKTArchitects/photos/a.549088211790683.123933.160491340650374/1562996913733136/?type=3

I guess I'm still very, very dubious regarding this whole design.  How would the lighting shown affect night visibility from the bridge?  If I am out on the bridge at night, is the glow going to detract from the view of downtown, etc?   And, really, do we want to look at a glow-worm across the river every night?  Artsy?  Yes. Cool?  Yes.  Practical for everyday?  Not so sure.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2017, 04:00:23 pm »

I guess I'm still very, very dubious regarding this whole design.  How would the lighting shown affect night visibility from the bridge?  If I am out on the bridge at night, is the glow going to detract from the view of downtown, etc?   And, really, do we want to look at a glow-worm across the river every night?  Artsy?  Yes. Cool?  Yes.  Practical for everyday?  Not so sure.

1. I'm sure it's pretty easy to point a light away from the pedestrians (ask Patric)
2. <1% of the people looking at the bridge in a given day are actually on it.
johrasephoenix
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2017, 08:18:18 pm »

I'm just tickled at how awesome this park is going to be. Sometimes I wish the BA didn't exist so the park could be right where downtown meets the Arkansas, but regardless this is going to be so freaking cool. 
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2017, 10:23:26 pm »

To everyone who wants lots of fancy lighting, please spend some time by the river in the summertime.  EVERY light bulb near the river attracts bugs, and thus, they also attract an impressive number of spiderwebs.  Anything that is glowing at night will be laced with spiderwebs.

If you've ever lived at Westport or spent much time at night on the old bridge or along the river trails, you know what I mean.  Ducking under spiderwebs gets really annoying after a while.  Spiderwebs in hair is even worse. 

I would recommend being cautious about the lighting thing. 

Plus, I vaguely recall another bridge design that had really cool lights that set off the artwork along the bridge....hmmmm... did that one survive a year before it failed and was deemed too expensive to replace?
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2017, 08:03:37 am »

To everyone who wants lots of fancy lighting, please spend some time by the river in the summertime.  EVERY light bulb near the river attracts bugs, and thus, they also attract an impressive number of spiderwebs.  Anything that is glowing at night will be laced with spiderwebs.

If you've ever lived at Westport or spent much time at night on the old bridge or along the river trails, you know what I mean.  Ducking under spiderwebs gets really annoying after a while.  Spiderwebs in hair is even worse. 

Plus, I vaguely recall another bridge design that had really cool lights that set off the artwork along the bridge....hmmmm... did that one survive a year before it failed and was deemed too expensive to replace?

I mentioned the spider problem on the feedback survey. Unless someone sweeps daily, it's going to get out of control, just like the current bridge.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2017, 08:05:52 am »

If we had a canal system, we could be storing up some of that water for future use.

Or a big dam upstream. wait...
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2017, 08:20:56 am »

Tri-Arch and option 2 are both much better ideas.

Yes, a $100,000 car is going to be a much better car than a $30,000 car. They did cost-analysis on the top-10 designs and that included the Tri-Arch one. Apparently it was the one of the most expensive and far out of the range of this project. It would've been nice to see them make a cheaper version of this, but probably would've eliminated many of the features that made it so awesome.

Cost is a key part of design. If we assume unlimited funds, the bridge could be extremely awesome and blow all 4 of these finalists away. The  wave one is unique and has a lot of interesting useful features compared to other finalists.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2017, 08:29:50 am »

Good points. With whichever design wins, I wonder if it would help if they can keep it lit certain times, perhaps only on weekends or just a few hours per night (say 8-10pm in summer, 6-10 pm in winter).

LED lighting attacts fewer bugs so that could help. I wonder how much LED lighting helps - I haven't noticed a crazy amount bugs on the new LED lights on the trails but a whole bridge of lights would be completely different scenario. Having a couple modes would be neat (1 for bare lighting for lighting path and another fully on for special occasions/busier times).
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2017, 08:36:51 am »

Yes, a $100,000 car is going to be a much better car than a $30,000 car. They did cost-analysis on the top-10 designs and that included the Tri-Arch one. Apparently it was the one of the most expensive and far out of the range of this project. It would've been nice to see them make a cheaper version of this, but probably would've eliminated many of the features that made it so awesome.

Cost is a key part of design. If we assume unlimited funds, the bridge could be extremely awesome and blow all 4 of these finalists away. The  wave one is unique and has a lot of interesting useful features compared to other finalists.

Ha!   Sometimes - at least one would hope.  But then I have driven some nice BMW's and Mercedes and really weren't $70k better than a Lexus/Merc/Subaru!  Some tinsel and random, stray pieces of high gloss trim can really put a glare in people's eyes.  And as much as I like Tesla, I don't think the one I want is worth $140,000 either.

True - cost is always a trade off factor.  The glow worm seems overly complex - over thought.  Maybe we should just wait and get some more ideas.  Just because you have a batch of ideas doesn't mean you have to compromise on a bad one - what would be the rush that would require "settling"?   Keep looking....

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org