A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 03:28:15 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedestrian Bridge  (Read 6354 times)
DowntownDan
Philanthropist

« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2017, 09:19:18 am »

I still like 1, and 3 is growing on me.  3 can be considered "iconic" in that it resembles the current structure.  It also is shaded throughout.  I'd probably still lean towards 1 with the hope that they can incorporate some shade features, but 3 works too.  I'm convinced that 4 doesn't work.  It's ugly and weird, doesn't have shade, and I honestly don't think that people would visit an amphitheater on the bridge with the Gathering Place just a few steps away.  The bridge to me is for running, biking, and maybe a stroll for a view of the skyline or water.  I don't see people gathering on the bridge for long periods of time, which is why I'm leaning towards 1 even without shade features, though I think shade features could be incorporated without much cost increase, and I would hope they'd consider it. 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2017, 10:08:09 am »

I mentioned the spider problem on the feedback survey. Unless someone sweeps daily, it's going to get out of control, just like the current bridge.

That's a good point.  Lots of spiders in those steel rafters at the current bridge during the summer.  Go to any lake or river during summer in the Southern U.S. and you'll see the same thing...water attracts bugs which attract spiders.  #1 wouldn't have that issue but would not have enough shade during the day.  Hmm..

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Montana soon...

« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2017, 01:33:32 pm »

Finalists narrowed to 2...

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/design-for-arkansas-river-pedestrian-bridge-narrowed-to-two-finalists

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2017, 04:02:16 pm »

14,000 feedback comments, 30 days... ready, set,...
rebound
Philanthropist

« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2017, 04:28:53 pm »

Bridge design selected:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/source-gateway-bridge-design-chosen-for-new-arkansas-river-pedestrian/article_984da3c0-d3da-50f8-9d76-3a459afe955b.html

Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2017, 05:40:28 am »

Now, if we only had a flag... Wink

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2017, 07:30:12 am »

Now, if we only had a flag... Wink

Is it just me, or were the flag and bridge selection processes nearly identical.

1) Lots of submissions
2) committee narrows choices to 3
3) public votes for one of the 3

bridge:  I'm fond of the current bridge but I'll vote for x  (cost to taxpayers:  $millions-o-dollars)
flag:  what the hell's wrong with our current flag?!  What a waste of tax money.   What a sham selection process!  #flagoutrage  (cost to taxpayers:  $0)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2017, 07:36:03 am »

The three flag designs picked by the committee sucked. The two bridge designs picked by the committee were cool.

Big difference in results.

Power is nothing till you use it.
rebound
Philanthropist

« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2017, 08:00:53 am »

Is it just me, or were the flag and bridge selection processes nearly identical.

1) Lots of submissions
2) committee narrows choices to 3
3) public votes for one of the 3

bridge:  I'm fond of the current bridge but I'll vote for x  (cost to taxpayers:  $millions-o-dollars)
flag:  what the hell's wrong with our current flag?!  What a waste of tax money.   What a sham selection process!  #flagoutrage  (cost to taxpayers:  $0)

The important differentiator, which you allude to in your (correct) "what the hell's wrong with our current flag?" comment is that there has never been any real question that we need a bridge.   Like a lot of others, I would have liked to keep the old bridge.  But as that one was coming down one way or the other, we need a new bridge.  Then its simply a matter of going through the process.   Also, I think by allowing public comment on the finalists and giving the architects a chance to address those concerns, the committee greatly improved the overall process.  It allowed for increased public input and engagement/acceptance of the final selection.

I really don't care one way or the other as to whether we need a new flag.  But if we are going to have one, we need better options, and better/more public input on the process.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2017, 02:27:55 pm »

The bridge designs were all identifiable as bridges.

The bridge process involved a redesign round, so did the Orlando flag program we modeled ourselves after, but Tulsa's flag program didn't.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org