A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:07:07 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedestrian Bridge  (Read 139263 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 12:51:31 pm »

And the four finalists....

https://www.cityoftulsa.org/vision

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rebound
City Father

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 02:08:46 pm »

Quick ranking:  1,2, 4, 3

#3 I'm eliminating it straight up because it's just too narrow and confined.  By far the least useful.

#4 is pretty cool, but I just can't get with the structural elements, and I think they constrain the angled views too much.  But I like the idea of the various sections, levels, areas, etc.

#2 has promise, and I like the design, but there is no access to the river. No fishing platforms, etc.  Plus, not sure about it meandering over the dam area.

#1 still has things I'd like to see changed, but I like the island idea (access for kayaking, fishing, etc), and having a viewing platform over the rapids area.  Would love to have a lowered area out in the middle for additional river access, but that could always be added later, and the general design with the varying widths, etc, would allow for as good a combination of bike and pedestrian traffic as you are going to get without a double decker design.

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 02:17:06 pm »

Let the nicknaming begin...

I'm not a fan of the twisted slinky and the monorail...  But who knows.  I like the BOK center a lot, and I hated that design when I saw it.  It was so much better in real life because of the way the light reflects off the building.

My main feedback is that SHADE is a requirement for any outdoor space in our climate.  No shade, no people.  So we need a design that recognizes that we have an increasingly hot and humid climate, and we need a bridge people can enjoy throughout the year.

On those rare occasions when it's cold, I appreciate the wind breaks on the north side of the bridge, but it's been so long since we had a cold winter, it's not top of mind for me.

Hoping they will also be thinking about longevity and maintenance costs.  We really don't want to be spending millions to build something that won't hold up over time.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 02:23:42 pm »

My main feedback is that SHADE is a requirement for any outdoor space in our climate.  No shade, no people.  So we need a design that recognizes that we have an increasingly hot and humid climate, and we need a bridge people can enjoy throughout the year.

On those rare occasions when it's cold, I appreciate the wind breaks on the north side of the bridge, but it's been so long since we had a cold winter, it's not top of mind for me.

Shade.  I thought of that.  That's one of the things I like about #2 that #1 doesn't have.  But, #1 is a platform proposal.  I do think it will need some shade, but it seems like that would be fairly easy to add as-needed.

As for the wind.  I'm not so worried about that.   Mostly, simply because when it is that cold there will be few if any people using the bridge.   (and I say this as someone who bikes the river trails all year round.  The wind is a bi#@$ sometimes, but it's manageable.   

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 02:24:34 pm »

#1 hands down

But I would prefer to see it cross the river in a straight line in the same path as the current bridge.  The lighting is the key for this one and hopefully it makes it through the inevitable VE process.  Also the deck needs to be wide enough for separated bike and jogging/pedestrian pathways.  That part is unclear and is a major concern.

#4 is pretty interesting though but I just wonder what material they are proposing for the decorative fins and if it will hold up over time..

I like the rail/deck design better on #4.  Pair that with the bridge design for #1 and you have a winner IMO
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:28:01 pm by SXSW » Logged

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 02:29:58 pm »

Yeah, number 1 by far.  Number 4 has cool elements but is ugly as sin.  It would be nice if number 1 could incorporate some of those types of features without the ugly outer design.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2017, 03:05:48 pm »

I like 4, then 1.

2 and 3 are boring.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2017, 03:23:15 pm »

4, then 1.

I saw some great other submissions that didn't make the finals. 2 and 3 are boring, and 1 is pretty bland. I want iconic and #1 from a distance could easily look like a highway bridge over any midwestern town.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2017, 03:28:46 pm »

#4 is beautiful and by far the most interesting.

Also, I designed a bridge in architecture school that looked a decent amount like that and always thought it would be cool to have in tulsa. It's a dream come true  Grin.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2017, 04:15:35 pm »

How about #1 from the deck down with decorative/shade elements of #4?   Smiley

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2017, 04:22:50 pm »

4, then 1.

I saw some great other submissions that didn't make the finals. 2 and 3 are boring, and 1 is pretty bland. I want iconic and #1 from a distance could easily look like a highway bridge over any midwestern town.

I'm worried about what 1 would look like as it ages.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2017, 08:38:58 pm »

You want an iconic design, #4.  You want white bread #1 & #3

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
johrasephoenix
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 10:39:23 pm »

It has to have SHADE and call outs that allow for sitting, hanging out, taking pictures of downtown, ie doing things other than walking/biking from one side to the other. 

Lack of shade is why Centennial Green on 6th & Boston is never used. 
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 01:59:48 pm »

Ok, so who has provided their feedback yet? I haven't, but I plan to. I liked #2 the best at first glance, but after reading the comments here, I need to look at the designs closer. I love the shade provided in #2 but I can see how it could be perceived as boring. As someone has already said, no shade on #1 concerns me.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 05:24:47 pm »

I like 2 or 4.  The lack of shade or protection from rain on the first one is a big oversight imho.  I lean towards the fourth one for it would definitely be striking and unique, though you do see a lot of that wavy design element in architecture these days almost to the point of it being boring, (oh no not another wavy design) and this bridge could be seen as being extremely derivative.  But then again, hey nice to have something with that modern design element on it in Tulsa.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_(skyscraper)

https://archpaper.com/2016/02/arquitectonica-gets-real-wavy-new-seaside-tower-florida

http://architecturestyle.net/projects/zahner-factory-expansion

http://theluxhome.com/banq-restaurant-interior-unique-design-ceiling-restaurant-by-office-da/

etc. etc.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:28:02 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org