A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:17:03 pm
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedestrian Bridge  (Read 139248 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2018, 12:55:08 pm »

I believe the flow challenge is simply that the PSO plant absolutely must have water at all times.  When a working dam is in, the flow of the river is where the engineers say it should be (to a reasonable extent, of course).  Kayaking across a river isn't a deterrent either, parking on the west or east...not a big deal.  But a power plant without water...that's an issue.  I believe that's why you often see big berms below the current dam directing water to the west side.

[typo fixed Smiley]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:52:58 am by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2018, 02:41:04 pm »

I believe the flow challenge is simply that the POS plant absolutely must have water at all times.  When a working dam is in, the flow of the river is where the engineers say it should be (to a reasonable extent, of course).  Kayaking across a river isn't a deterrent either, parking on the west or east...not a big deal.  But a power plant without water...that's an issue.  I believe that's why you often see big berms below the current dam directing water to the west side.

What is the lifespan of the PSO plant?  Since it is natural gas-powered I assume it will be operational for awhile but I have no idea.  IMO it’s one of the coolest industrial buildings in the city. 

I know there was a jetty built to direct the flow toward the plant, you can see remnants of it.  I would imagine AEP/PSO will be heavily involved in these discussions.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2018, 06:22:31 pm »

What is the lifespan of the PSO plant?  Since it is natural gas-powered I assume it will be operational for awhile but I have no idea.  IMO it’s one of the coolest industrial buildings in the city. 

I know there was a jetty built to direct the flow toward the plant, you can see remnants of it.  I would imagine AEP/PSO will be heavily involved in these discussions.

I believe they are involved in all discussions, and I believe the original design shown in one of the pictures showed a section of the dam to allow water flow for the plant separate from the main flow control.

As far as the plant's life, it is natural gas and I believe I was told was shut down for a long time and then restarted in the 80's or 90's so it looks way older on the outside than it does on the inside. (I went inside a few times, but it's been about 10 years)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2018, 09:37:01 pm »

... a concrete rather than steel structure was chosen for the span to minimize vibrations and provide a comfortable environment for pedestrians. The broad span would have open sides and was also wide enough to accommodate benches. It would also provide Wi-Fi service to users. One reason for the amenities: pedestrians tend to shun confined bridges.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article205432029.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
rebound
City Father

« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2018, 01:50:31 pm »

... a concrete rather than steel structure was chosen for the span to minimize vibrations and provide a comfortable environment for pedestrians. The broad span would have open sides and was also wide enough to accommodate benches. It would also provide Wi-Fi service to users. One reason for the amenities: pedestrians tend to shun confined bridges.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article205432029.html

I don't know where you are going with this.   Given the drawings of the Florida bridge, it is not the same construction technique that would be used here.   

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2018, 07:03:54 am »

And even if it is the same construction technique... it isn't like they collapse frequently.  Someone or something screwed up in Florida, no doubt.  But that isn't universal condemnation of any particular form of construction.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2018, 10:31:44 am »

I don't know where you are going with this.    

I meant to put more emphasis on the amenities and features of the bridge in the part I excerpted.  Thought that might be relevant.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2018, 07:29:57 am »

River Parks Authority to take over pedestrian bridge project near Gathering Place

The River Parks Authority board will vote Thursday morning on an agreement with the city of Tulsa to take responsibility for the construction of the new pedestrian bridge over the Arkansas River.

The agreement calls for the Gateway Bridge to be constructed by Tulsa's Gathering Place LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of the authority. Gathering Place LLC is the legal name given to the Gathering Place park in 2014 when it was given to the River Parks Authority by the George Kaiser Family Foundation.

The pedestrian bridge, near the 2900 block of Riverside Drive, will connect to the $465 million park, which is scheduled to open Sept. 8.

“It is really exciting to be able to partner with someone like River Parks and the Gathering Place” on the pedestrian bridge, said Nick Doctor, the city’s chief of community development and policy.

The Gateway Bridge was selected as the winner of a bridge design competition conducted by the city of Tulsa in 2017. The bridge was designed by Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates, the same company that designed the Gathering Place.

Under the terms of the proposed agreement, the pedestrian bridge should be completed within three years. The River Parks Authority would be responsible for routine and nonstructural maintenance of the bridge, with the city assuming financial responsibility for major capital improvements.

Jeff Stava, director and trustee of Tulsa's Gathering Place LLC, said he expects demolition of the existing pedestrian bridge to begin 45 to 90 days after the agreement is finalized. The design of the new bridge is expected to take nine to 15 months, with construction ranging from 18 to 22 months, Stava said.

more in the article
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2018, 08:33:05 am »

Glad to hear this is moving forward.  How does this align with the schedule for Vision improvements to the low water dam/whitewater flume?  Hopefully all of this work will be complete at the same time as Phase 2 of the Gathering Place.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2019, 07:49:29 pm »

Vision 2025 or those in the know, has the city set a timeline yet for construction of the new pedestrian bridge and Zink Dam improvements?  I’ve taken visitors to the Gathering Place and usually get the question “what is going on with the riverfront and bridge?”  That and what’s up with the gravel parking areas.  I explain these are future phases but don’t have a solid answer to when they will be completed..
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:52:12 pm by SXSW » Logged

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2019, 07:44:57 am »

The last I heard was that the bridge and dam projects will begin sometime after January of 2020.  I did not hear anything officially on why that timing - but I'd guess it is  time for the Gathering Place to be open without constant construction, for the trail loop to be complete for a while, and for essential design, engineering, permitting, Corps of Engineering review, environmental studies, stakeholder reviews (refinery, AEP, user groups?), etc.   I believe the west side trail area will be the primary staging for construction. I'm guessing this is a several year long construction effort, but assume more details will be announced when the official plans are unveiled.

I heard. I'd guess. I believe. I assume.  Clearly I don't have the best info, but no one answered for a month so I thought I'd chime in.   Smiley

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2019, 01:30:38 pm »

Big Changes Planned For Arkansas River In Tulsa

TULSA, Oklahoma - Construction is set to begin July 2020 for the new Arkansas River pedestrian bridge. Lead Engineer for Tulsa's Storm Water Development Brooke Caviness said plans for the pedestrian bridge and low water dam are about 90 percent complete.

"So we're raising the lake by three feet; we're changing out all the gates on the dam," said Caviness. She said this spring's record flooding prompted a design change to the dam to help improve flow when the water rises.

"So we'll be able to put this new dam in and this new flume in and have no rise condition so the water level doesn't come up," said Caviness.

https://www.newson6.com/story/41419672/big-changes-planned-for-arkansas-river-in-tulsa
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 01:32:23 pm by ComeOnBenjals » Logged
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2019, 04:32:53 pm »

TULSA, Oklahoma - Construction is set to begin July 2020 for the new Arkansas River pedestrian bridge. Lead Engineer for Tulsa's Storm Water Development Brooke Caviness said plans for the pedestrian bridge and low water dam are about 90 percent complete.

"So we're raising the lake by three feet; we're changing out all the gates on the dam," said Caviness. She said this spring's record flooding prompted a design change to the dam to help improve flow when the water rises.

"So we'll be able to put this new dam in and this new flume in and have no rise condition so the water level doesn't come up," said Caviness.

https://www.newson6.com/story/41419672/big-changes-planned-for-arkansas-river-in-tulsa

Sounds like it is actually finally happening... or at least they might've cleared the way to start. I had heard about government approvals required (cities downstream, Corps of Eng, etc) for changing dam retention. Does anyone know if that's all dealt with or if it was ever an issue?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2019, 04:39:33 pm »

Sounds like it is actually finally happening... or at least they might've cleared the way to start. I had heard about government approvals required (cities downstream, Corps of Eng, etc) for changing dam retention. Does anyone know if that's all dealt with or if it was ever an issue?

I believe those approvals have been going on for years.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2019, 05:09:18 pm »

Sounds like a little bit of wishful thinking.  When there is the kind of water we had this year, even Keystone itself didn't help, so how is an extra 3 ft and some different gates downstream gonna help?   It will give many people a "feel good" moment, though.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org