A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:32:30 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spaghetti Warehouse closing Mar 2017  (Read 32396 times)
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 02:58:16 pm »

I haven’t been there in 15 years or so, but Sp. Warehouse’s closing still makes me sad in a nostalgic sort of way.  When I moved back to Tulsa in 1997, it, along with Mexicali and (short-lived) Snooty Fox, was one of the few places to eat dinner in the Brady area.  In doing my part to try and help fulfill Mayor Savage’s prediction that the Brady District would be better than OKC’s Bricktown, I patronized all three, held my breath to drink a few beers at smoky Caz’s and even danced the night away a few times at the Hercules Motor Company.  Sp. Warehouse blazed a trail by going into an area few would go at the time and made it last for 25 years.  For that, they deserve a “well done.”
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 03:12:05 pm »

Next question, how does Mexicali stay in business?

It seems to stay very busy on the weekends. I can't remember being in the Brady and not seeing it busy. Can't remember the last time I ate there, wife isn't a fan of Mexican or Tex-Mex food, but it does seem to stay busy.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:27:06 pm by Ibanez » Logged
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 03:14:08 pm »

I haven’t been there in 15 years or so, but Sp. Warehouse’s closing still makes me sad in a nostalgic sort of way.  When I moved back to Tulsa in 1997, it, along with Mexicali and (short-lived) Snooty Fox, was one of the few places to eat dinner in the Brady area.  In doing my part to try and help fulfill Mayor Savage’s prediction that the Brady District would be better than OKC’s Bricktown, I patronized all three, held my breath to drink a few beers at smoky Caz’s and even danced the night away a few times at the Hercules Motor Company.  Sp. Warehouse blazed a trail by going into an area few would go at the time and made it last for 25 years.  For that, they deserve a “well done.”

I agree.  They came North of the railroad tracks when few would.  I've always liked that building and hope someone puts the property to good use.

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 03:27:46 pm »

It's interesting how well it did and survived for years before anything else had developed down there, now it's all developed around it and it's going out.  

I think that went in around 1991 or 1992, 25 years isn't a bad run for a place which served "meh" food.

Pepper's has been in business, although not at the original location, longer and is possibly just as "meh" .  But then again it's Tex-Mex.

Granted Spaghetti was way ahead in downtown dining.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:40:25 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 02:59:43 pm »

I heard Cheddar's is looking at this space.....

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 06:35:40 pm »

What a waste of an opportunity...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 10:10:29 am »

And weird if you ask me....I have never eaten there....But I guess it makes sense....

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 11:10:21 am »

I haven't eaten at one, and after looking at the menus, I probably won't. Looks like a whole bunch of national chain meh.
Bones013
Citizen

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 01:00:57 pm »

Cheddar's should look at Tulsa Hills/Walk before thinking about downtown.
johrasephoenix
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 04:34:10 pm »

Isn't Cheddar's side of the interstate shopping center food?  I really hope whatever goes in that premium spot is not the equivalent of TGI Fridays or Chili's.  Talk about a waste of a great downtown space.   
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 07:39:06 pm »

Isn't Cheddar's side of the interstate shopping center food?  I really hope whatever goes in that premium spot is not the equivalent of TGI Fridays or Chili's.  Talk about a waste of a great downtown space.   

Cheddars is a higher tier/price point. Like PF Changs isn't Panda Express.
johrasephoenix
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 08:16:35 pm »

Cheddar's is apparently owned by Darden Restaurants, whose portfolio includes suburbia stalwarts like Olive Garden and LongHorn Steakhouse.

Downside - Cheddar's would be a bummer.  Upside - downtown Tulsa's metrics have finally reached a threshold that triggers interest from national chain retailers.   
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 07:19:12 am »

Some other positives (if true):  some people are only comfortable eating somewhere familiar.  Still others are excited for certain chains and will go out of their way to go there.  If a Cheddars makes more people comfortable downtown and/or draws more people, then bring it on.  (so long as they don't want to tear down the old brick building for a new shiny tilt up)

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 08:30:43 am »

Downtown Tulsa dining: cool concepts with inconsistent results and so-so service.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 08:33:30 am »

Downtown Tulsa dining: cool concepts with inconsistent results and so-so service.

This can be a big problem....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org