A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:55:17 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big boxes are crumbling around us  (Read 51192 times)
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 01:48:41 pm »

Personally I was hoping for an aluminum foil wholesaler...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urglg3WimHA
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2017, 11:22:18 pm »

Gander's Going... (liquidation sale underway now)
http://www.fox23.com/news/gander-mountain-closes-tulsa-hills-store/519873796
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:25:15 pm by BKDotCom » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2017, 11:31:54 pm »

No surprise there.  I went in shortly after they opened and found nothing at a price point that interested me.

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2017, 11:32:26 am »

So that lasted about two years and two months. What a waste.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/retail/grand-opening-thursday-gander-mountain-aims-to-be-the-new/article_2ad67168-6f00-5bd9-8eb0-2c3aae6c3bb3.html
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2017, 12:32:57 pm »

The market is saturated with this style of outdoors stores. Gander could not compete with Bass Pro/Cabela's as well as online and smaller regional stores. So now that the assets of Gander Mountain have been bought by Camping World you will have the new camping and hunting superstores where you can get your RV and your ammo at one place.

NILES, Ohio -
The new owner of the Gander Mountain outdoor goods retail chain is Tweeting that he hasn't decided yet if the store at the Eastwood Mall Complex will ultimately be closed.
Marcus Lemonis, Star of the CNBC show “The Profit", has been responding to Tweeted questions about the future of various Gander Mountain stores since a bankruptcy court approved plans by his company Camping World to conduct inventory liquidation sales at all Gander Mountain stores.
Lemonis, Chairman and CEO of recreational vehicle product retailer Camping World, has made it clear that he wants to keep Gander World's boating business, but said his company is only obligated to continue operating a minimum of 17 of Gander Mountain's locations.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/35359615/new-gander-mountain-owner-answers-tweets-on-future-of-niles-store

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2017, 04:02:52 pm »

Well ONLY 90% of the Gander Mountains are closing.
LeGenDz
Activist

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2017, 06:34:44 pm »

Maybe REI should take over that spot

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2017, 08:06:55 am »

Maybe REI should take over that spot

I’ve been a participant in such a discussion over on the Facebooks.  Take a look at any REI suburban design and compare to Gander’s Tulsa store.  With some modification to the front entry it would look just like an REI.  Problem solved.

It was suggested that Gander Mtn. be torn down and turned into a park but the Tulsa Suburban Retailers Coalition might object.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2017, 05:35:19 pm »

Well ONLY 90% of the Gander Mountains are closing.

Now the new owner is saying that between 70 and 75 stores out of 160 will remain, no specific word on the Tulsa location yet.

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/retail/article149169269.html

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/05/07/gander-mountain-closing-not-so-fast-says-new-owner-marcus-lemonis/101402750/
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2017, 05:40:04 pm »

It was suggested that Gander Mtn. be torn down and turned into a park but the Tulsa Suburban Retailers Coalition might object.

Now that's funny!  Cheesy
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2017, 09:08:08 pm »

I would guess that we will lose about a third of all our brick and mortar retail in Tulsa.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2017, 06:46:39 am »

I would guess that we will lose about a third of all our brick and mortar retail in Tulsa.

Measured by square footage or store count? The former I could see for sure, the later, I don't know really.

In my locale, the spot opened by Sears in the mall (an anchor tenant) will soon be filled by a sporting goods/outdoor store coincidentally as reported by your vary own Tulsa World. Dunham's Sports. Never been to one. Appears to offer a pretty diverse selection of goods, not just another Hibbett Sports (that is in the parking lot of the mall) which is predominantly apparel/shoes and some equipment for popular sports (football/basketball/soccer/baseball).

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2017, 07:29:11 am »

Lemonis is the guy who got hold of Good Sam's Club and kinda crapped it up...a lot.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
GJusSayin
Activist

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2017, 01:25:10 pm »

Joel Coggins is the contractor. His Facebook photo album has a lot of pics of Rustic Cuff build-outs. Coincidentally, happens to be the same building that Rustic Cuff used for a pop up  shop on Black Friday last year.  But, who knows?  

The Mardel looks like it could be a grocery store - anyone know what it is for sure?

rebound
City Father

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2017, 01:42:46 pm »

The Mardel looks like it could be a grocery store - anyone know what it is for sure?

Can't tell is this is tongue-in-cheek or not...   Mardel is a large Christian bookstore.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org