A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:31:01 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Andolini's and others  (Read 48154 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2017, 01:26:35 pm »

Yes, I go to Albert G's far more than I go to Burn Co because I mostly go for dinner. I like Albert G's a lot. I prefer Burn Co but I don't typically want to wait in line or drive to the Jenks location.

I have Smokies on my list of must-try places but haven't been yet.

See - more common ground !!

I guess I am a little surprised no one has mentioned Oklahoma Joe's.  It has won all kinds of contests and awards, but the times we went, I guess that guy was not working.  Was not impressed - it just was too "Rib Crib" for me.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2017, 01:29:56 pm »

My Andolini's experience was also Owasso, so in fairness, I guess I should make the pilgrimage to 15th street.

There's a huge difference in reviews between the two and I've heard the Owasso location isn't worth going to unless you live there. From what I understand they doubled-down a bit when they opened the Cherry St location to really compete with the other great pizza joints and restaurants around.

In general, most of the suburb food places are ranked quite a bit lower than ones in Tulsa. In the Tulsa area there are nearly 2000 restaurants and the large majority of those are in Tulsa (~1300+ which is more than Tulsa's share based on population). Much more competition makes it tough to start but seems to bring out a lot of great places. Several of the suburbs' top-rated places are around 3.0-3.6.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2017, 01:39:10 pm »

You can argue about the demographics, but Zomato is far more legitimate than Yelp where restaurants can pay to alter which reviews are removed. Zomato does a much better job with hole-in-the-wall places than tripadvisor. Obviously, any of those sites tend to prefer nicer more updated places with better atmospheres than a place like Bill's so Bill's will always suffer for that. Nic's in OKC is much nicer inside than Bills and I would say the customer service is more pleasant so I can understand the discrepancy. Eating outside at Bill's is a pretty bad experience also (Either lots of flies or cold; plus rough scenery). So the burgers themselves keep it elevated over 4 even though the rest of it is like a 2 star experience.

https://www.zomato.com/tulsa-ok/bills-jumbo-burgers-tulsa/reviews

Yeah...about that....I think you are way to generous on the scenery...not even close to 2.  But I love the little building - if I did open an eatery, I would probably start with that as a model.  Eat in the car!   That's what ya have to do at Lot-A-Burger on west side.

You hit the ambience rating exactly right - that would have to account for at least an extra 2 points, thereby giving Bill's a real rating of 6.1 !!   Too many people look at the cover rather than the inside of the 'book'.

Another one for you - Wild Horse Mountain Barbeque.  Sallisaw.  Used to be noticeably better when the old man still ran it, but the kids are doing pretty decent job of keeping it going.  If they haven't sold it yet...not sure.  Anyway, go down the Muskogee Turnpike all the way to I-40.  Turn left and drive to exit 308.  Exit.  At end of ramp you will be facing the town cemetery.  Turn right and go just a little more than a mile, until the road starts to curve to the right.  Turn left into the parking lot.  Go in - no...nobody will hurt you!  Buy.  Eat.

I put it about even - maybe just a half point ahead of Burn Co.  And their sides have always been great when we have been there.

Good way to start a day trip to the Talimena drive area.

Edit;
Some reviewers say they have gone there for 50 years.  We have been going for almost 40... so there old timers!!

And they do run out, so get there early...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g51633-d2392413-Reviews-Wild_Horse_Mountain_BBQ-Sallisaw_Oklahoma.html

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:42:59 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2017, 03:00:48 pm »

Had Andolini's last night (15th Street) and still the best in town, and holds its own with best pizza anywhere.  I'm not completely smitten with Burnco like many others, but it's based on style.  I'm from Texas and prefer the wood smoked Texas style to any other style.  Burnco I think uses only lump charcoal on Hasty Bake ovens.  Tasty as heck, but I prefer Texas style.  Albert Gs is closer to that style and is my local preference.

Oh, heck yeah on the TX  BBQ.  Kreuz Market,  Black's, Smitty's,  Luling City Market...  Now I need to make a road trip.     

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2017, 04:06:34 pm »

There's a huge difference in reviews between the two and I've heard the Owasso location isn't worth going to unless you live there. From what I understand they doubled-down a bit when they opened the Cherry St location to really compete with the other great pizza joints and restaurants around.

In general, most of the suburb food places are ranked quite a bit lower than ones in Tulsa. In the Tulsa area there are nearly 2000 restaurants and the large majority of those are in Tulsa (~1300+ which is more than Tulsa's share based on population). Much more competition makes it tough to start but seems to bring out a lot of great places. Several of the suburbs' top-rated places are around 3.0-3.6.

Someone told me STG was owned by the same people who own Andollini's.  You'd never know it was even close.  We found the center of the pizza to be a bit doughy (as in under-cooked) and not nearly as good as what we'd had at the Cherry St. location nor when I ate at the Jenks one with my kids a few weeks back.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rebound
City Father

« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2017, 04:32:33 pm »

Another one for you - Wild Horse Mountain Barbeque.  Sallisaw.  Used to be noticeably better when the old man still ran it, but the kids are doing pretty decent job of keeping it going.  If they haven't sold it yet...not sure.  Anyway, go down the Muskogee Turnpike all the way to I-40.  Turn left and drive to exit 308.  Exit.  At end of ramp you will be facing the town cemetery.  Turn right and go just a little more than a mile, until the road starts to curve to the right.  Turn left into the parking lot.  Go in - no...nobody will hurt you!  Buy.  Eat.

I ate there several times before they opened up the new road.  It used to be right on the old highway, and I'm sure the re-route has hurt their business.   Was always pretty solid.  I'm heading down to Beavers Bend soon to do some fishing, and will make a point to check it out again.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2017, 10:25:17 am »

I ate there several times before they opened up the new road.  It used to be right on the old highway, and I'm sure the re-route has hurt their business.   Was always pretty solid.  I'm heading down to Beavers Bend soon to do some fishing, and will make a point to check it out again.

It has been about 3 years since we were there.  I think a weekend expedition is in order!

Also, still trying to get to Pawhuska to try the Mercantile restaurant - always a 2 hour wait the times we have been nearby.

TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2017, 12:56:24 pm »

Someone told me STG was owned by the same people who own Andollini's.  You'd never know it was even close.  We found the center of the pizza to be a bit doughy (as in under-cooked) and not nearly as good as what we'd had at the Cherry St. location nor when I ate at the Jenks one with my kids a few weeks back.

STG has been re-branded as "Andolini's Sliced," which is going to sell pizza by the slice like their food truck. They've announced it will have a bigger beer selection and still sell gelato. 
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2017, 09:15:43 pm »

STG has been re-branded as "Andolini's Sliced," which is going to sell pizza by the slice like their food truck. They've announced it will have a bigger beer selection and still sell gelato. 

They have a sign saying two slices and a drink for under $10 at lunch. Speaking my language.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2017, 11:14:23 pm »

They have a sign saying two slices and a drink for under $10 at lunch. Speaking my language.

$50/week

I'll take my lunch from home thank you.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2017, 05:46:16 pm »

$50/week

Yeah, but your wallet is squeaky.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2017, 07:09:01 pm »

$50/week

A. If you think $10 is a lot to eat out drink included, you don't eat out much. It costs $3 for a coke these days.
B. It is ludicrous to think this is the only place you eat for every lunch.
C. With rising grocery prices, is it difficult to eat at home for much less unless you only eat a sandwich or soup each day. Don't eat both, you might get close to $10.
D. Some fourth thing
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2017, 08:01:42 pm »

A. If you think $10 is a lot to eat out drink included, you don't eat out much. It costs $3 for a coke these days.
You are correct that I don't go out to eat much.  First off, my mother was salt sensitive and I learned to like food with no added salt. When I do go out to eat, I am horribly thirsty for hours.  Secondly, I don't really enjoy going out to eat. With a few exceptions, I view it as a social obligation rather than an enjoyable experience.  Thirdly, I'd rather spend $200 on avgas that $20 on dinner.
B. It is ludicrous to think this is the only place you eat for every lunch.
See answer to A.
C. With rising grocery prices, is it difficult to eat at home for much less unless you only eat a sandwich or soup each day. Don't eat both, you might get close to $10.
My usual weekday lunch is 3.0 oz of leftover meat (usually chicken or pork), a small lettuce salad, some chopped veggies, an apple, and depending on the season, an orange, plum or something like that.  Regardless of the cost, it's more heathy and bound to be a bit less cost.
D. Some fourth thing
Such as.....

rebound
City Father

« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2017, 09:40:06 am »

My usual weekday lunch is 3.0 oz of leftover meat (usually chicken or pork), a small lettuce salad, some chopped veggies, an apple, and depending on the season, an orange, plum or something like that.  Regardless of the cost, it's more heathy and bound to be a bit less cost.

If that is what you actually eat for lunch (whether you bring it or buy it), that is excellent.  My first thought about the "two slices" wasn't related to cost, but was related to calories.  I travel a lot, and so eat out for a large percentage my weekday meals, and if I ate two pieces of pizza every day at lunch I'd be groggy for the rest of the day, and probably generally overweight. My standard lunch is a large salad, with some form of meat mixed in, and an iced tea.   Very filling, and no carbs and not a lot of calories in general.

Regardless of cost, it is easier to eat healthy if you have the option of making it yourself.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2017, 03:40:37 pm »

D. Some fourth thing

I love being waited on. I think some of my next wives will probably be waitresses.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org