A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:12:29 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Andolini's and others  (Read 48169 times)
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2017, 08:24:57 am »

Convenience is all there is for me...I eat out literally 97% of the time - MAYBE 3 meals a month at home.  It sucks - everywhere!   There is nothing cooked in Tulsa that I want to eat that I can't do better at home.  And Pappadeaux's is the only place I know of that I can't do as well - crawfish ettouffee.  Or alligator ettouffee.

Have you been to the Bramble? Lone Wolf? Andolinis? The Vault? Burn Co? Tacos Don Francisco? Bull in the Alley? Umbertos? Juniper? Fat Guys? Kilkennies? La Roma? My Thai? If so, you can make all of those various things they make better at your own home? I would love to see someone with such incredibly and widely-varied culinary skills!

Those places all make great food and have some dishes I would be amazed to see someone recreate at home in a reasonable amount of time for less than they charge.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2017, 10:58:22 am »

I always thought Dilly should find an available spot downtown and reopen Dilly Deli with their full menu of sandwiches, even if its just for lunch.  The Diner is great, but they kept only a few of the wide variety of sandwiches (the Mondy and Meg are the only ones I recall).  It would make for a neat concept to have both the Diner and Deli.  And then, of course, they'd have to open one of each in OKC, because we're not allowed to have anything cool or unique to ourselves.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2017, 03:45:25 pm »

Have you been to the Bramble? Lone Wolf? Andolinis? The Vault? Burn Co? Tacos Don Francisco? Bull in the Alley? Umbertos? Juniper? Fat Guys? Kilkennies? La Roma? My Thai? If so, you can make all of those various things they make better at your own home? I would love to see someone with such incredibly and widely-varied culinary skills!

Those places all make great food and have some dishes I would be amazed to see someone recreate at home in a reasonable amount of time for less than they charge.

He's an idiot don't waste your time...

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2017, 08:56:43 pm »

Says the top troll.  As always.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2017, 08:57:27 pm »

They don't have a Pappadeaux's in town yet do they. Don't tease...

Dallas.

And Abacus, if ya can afford it.  I can't.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2017, 09:22:10 pm »

Slowly working my way through that list.  Being out of town puts the slow on that.
Andolini's - Tulsa and Owasso.  They are Ok, but yeah, I can do the stuff I get there better at home.  I prefer Tucci's.

Burn Co - are you kidding??  Albert G's is much better, as is Smokies, and I can do as good as them...maybe not better, but just as good.  Especially baked beans!

Fat Guys - again, kidding??  They are good, but WAY overpriced for what ya get.  And I can do better burgers.

Kilkenny's - I have been looking forward to going there.  Two family members have been and like it ok, but since they have also been to Ireland several times, they chuckle about the website claims to be as good as Irish food - saying you will swear you just visited Ireland.  Real Irish food isn't that great, and if that is what they are aiming at, well, I may not bother....

Umberto's - also looking forward to going there - have had real New York style pizza twice this week - in New York (state) and Massachusetts.  Some good stuff.  And amazingly friendly people!  Will be an interesting comparison.  Will try to remember to revisit this post in a couple weeks.  (Wondering why their web site sets off all of the alarms about improperly configured websites from Firefox and the company Symantec protections..?)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:23:57 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2017, 09:00:37 pm »

Burn Co - are you kidding??  Albert G's is much better, as is Smokies, and I can do as good as them...maybe not better, but just as good.  Especially baked beans!

I don't disagree, but I prefer to sit and watch how this comment plays out for you....
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2017, 10:22:16 pm »

heiron,

For whatever reason (likely cost) Villa Ravenna in the Farm never get's mentioned as a go to place. Having been once (on a very special occasion), I was more than impressed. Still a small family joint, but outstanding Italian. I say it's underrated, but as I look on Trip Advisor it is #11. However it is listed under Hideaway, Fish Daddy's, McNellie's, Mahogany, Andolini's & Charleston's so what the heck do I know. All I'm saying is this place does laps around 99.9% of the places in Tulsa, and is worth a drive if that's what it takes.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2017, 07:17:41 am »

I don't disagree, but I prefer to sit and watch how this comment plays out for you....

I know...right !!??   There are a ton of Burn Co fans here.  I really did like their baked beans, but won't bother for anything else.  I can make good beans and the two I mentioned...well, I just like them better...

And what I meant was I can do as good as Albert G's and Smokies.  Much better than Burn Co....
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:31:56 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2017, 07:30:54 am »

heiron,

For whatever reason (likely cost) Villa Ravenna in the Farm never get's mentioned as a go to place. Having been once (on a very special occasion), I was more than impressed. Still a small family joint, but outstanding Italian. I say it's underrated, but as I look on Trip Advisor it is #11. However it is listed under Hideaway, Fish Daddy's, McNellie's, Mahogany, Andolini's & Charleston's so what the heck do I know. All I'm saying is this place does laps around 99.9% of the places in Tulsa, and is worth a drive if that's what it takes.

Will have to try them - I put 'non-chain' events much higher on the list.  Farm isn't much of a drive.  Couple of days ago, went from Manchester, NH to Albany NY to find a 99 Restaurant and Pub...  Well, in reality, was going that way anyway, 99 just happened to be on the route.   New England chain, but pretty good food.  Chicken Pot Pie -  O  M  G  !!    If you like CPP, it is worth the trip for that.  There is a little place like that in Norman that I like a lot - can't remember the name, but in a small corner near the Sam's Club.

See....right there....  Hideaway - serviceable but not exceptional.  Have had real pizza in the place where pizza is a religious rite - twice this week.  Hideaway ain't it.  And just because I don't find something to be really good or even exceptional doesn't mean I don't eat there.  I do.  But I also recognize the reality.

Fish Daddy's, Andolini's, Charlestons....  all 3 not the best in class by a long stretch.  And really full of themselves on price/value ratio. But ya can't get best in class here.   Charleston's Key Lime Pie is pretty good...would like to know where they buy it.  It ain't made at the restaurant...

Fish - Mike's Crab Shack in Wells, ME.  Wish I could post pics - twin lobsters right out of the sea that day, (very nice size) for $29.   Broiled scallops, again fresh out of the sea that day - $26.  And their strawberry shortcake - I don't know how they managed to make a plain ole buttermilk biscuit, some berries, and fresh whipped cream taste like mine at home, but they did !!   But I do add vanilla ice cream - Braum's of course, or if in the south/east, Mayfield's.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2017, 07:33:11 am »

Says the guy with all his taste in his mouth.  And all bad....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2017, 06:54:53 pm »

Will have to try them - I put 'non-chain' events much higher on the list.  Farm isn't much of a drive.  Couple of days ago, went from Manchester, NH to Albany NY to find a 99 Restaurant and Pub...  Well, in reality, was going that way anyway, 99 just happened to be on the route.   New England chain, but pretty good food.  Chicken Pot Pie -  O  M  G  !!    If you like CPP, it is worth the trip for that.  There is a little place like that in Norman that I like a lot - can't remember the name, but in a small corner near the Sam's Club.

See....right there....  Hideaway - serviceable but not exceptional.  Have had real pizza in the place where pizza is a religious rite - twice this week.  Hideaway ain't it.  And just because I don't find something to be really good or even exceptional doesn't mean I don't eat there.  I do.  But I also recognize the reality.

Fish Daddy's, Andolini's, Charlestons....  all 3 not the best in class by a long stretch.  And really full of themselves on price/value ratio. But ya can't get best in class here.   Charleston's Key Lime Pie is pretty good...would like to know where they buy it.  It ain't made at the restaurant...

Fish - Mike's Crab Shack in Wells, ME.  Wish I could post pics - twin lobsters right out of the sea that day, (very nice size) for $29.   Broiled scallops, again fresh out of the sea that day - $26.  And their strawberry shortcake - I don't know how they managed to make a plain ole buttermilk biscuit, some berries, and fresh whipped cream taste like mine at home, but they did !!   But I do add vanilla ice cream - Braum's of course, or if in the south/east, Mayfield's.

We've eaten at Villa Ravenna and were very impressed with the place, definitely give it a try.

Not sure what your issue is with Burnco.  If your biggest impression of a BBQ place is the beans, that might explain a lot.  I remember you mentioned this Black Jaxx place quite a bit out near Oologah but you always talked about the sides.  No argument from me about Albert G's, love the place and it's been consistently good since they opened on Harvard.  I do prefer the Harvard location.

I figure if the sides are more memorable than the Q at a BBQ place, they are doing something drastically wrong.  There are a couple of other ex-pat Oklahomans from Guymon and Elk City who opened a BBQ place up in Eagle Nest 24 miles up the road from us earlier this year.  Doing a great job on the Q and not too bad on the sides.  Lately, they've been doing a once a month special of smoked prime rib, that's been outstanding and we always watch for the announcement on Facebook when it is coming up.

As for what we can do better than others at home, that's the whole point in being in the hospitality business for us.  We don't do OJ and a frozen Lender's bagel for breakfast.  MC has quite a menu doing a fusion of breakfast classics and southwestern cuisine.  We consistently get high marks from our guests on the breakfasts in person and on-line.  Having a life-long resident of Santa Fe tell you and post online it's one of the best breakfasts they've ever had will make buttons pop off your shirt in a hurry!  Having the head of cattle operations at one of the largest ranching operations in the area call you the new "brisket king" of Colfax County is pretty heady stuff too  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2017, 07:06:36 pm »

I know...right !!??   There are a ton of Burn Co fans here.  I really did like their baked beans, but won't bother for anything else.  

When I got their beans they seemed to be literally a can of ranch style beans and a can of pork and beans mixed together and served hot.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2017, 08:28:10 pm »

Having a life-long resident of Santa Fe tell you and post online it's one of the best breakfasts they've ever had will make buttons pop off your shirt in a hurry!  Having the head of cattle operations at one of the largest ranching operations in the area call you the new "brisket king" of Colfax County is pretty heady stuff too  Grin

Congrats!

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2017, 07:11:33 am »

heiron,

This is the number one restaurant in Tulsa. There is only one place that my wife insists on going to for our anniversary.
Villa Ravenna is as good as any Italian place I have eaten in St. Louis or New York.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org