A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:53:16 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposed: Black Pearl, mixed use at 7th & Peoria  (Read 15362 times)
johrasephoenix
« on: March 02, 2017, 03:19:12 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/realestate/mixed-used-project-being-proposed-for-pearl-district/article_5007355a-4120-5da1-a113-5979a7806c4d.html

It looks like the owner of Doc's is proposing a new restaurant with a few apartments above.   I can't tell from the rendering if all that parking is in front of or behind the building - but if it's behind and this fronts Peoria than overall a big win for the Pearl.

I especially love that this is mainly a restaurant with a few apartments above rather than a 200 unit full city block complex meant to be sold to an institutional investor.  Lots of small buildings makes for a more interesting urban environment than a few huge ones.  

I really hope the Pearl continues to grow as downtown fills out.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:18:09 am by Moderator » Logged
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 03:30:56 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/realestate/mixed-used-project-being-proposed-for-pearl-district/article_5007355a-4120-5da1-a113-5979a7806c4d.html

It looks like the owner of Doc's is proposing a new restaurant with a few apartments above.   I can't tell from the rendering if all that parking is in front of or behind the building - but if it's behind and this fronts Peoria than overall a big win for the Pearl.

I especially love that this is mainly a restaurant with a few apartments above rather than a 200 unit full city block complex meant to be sold to an institutional investor.  Lots of small buildings makes for a more interesting urban environment than a few huge ones. 

Thanks for posting and for more accurately describing the location (west side of Peoria Avenue about halfway between 6th and 8th) than the Tulsa World describes it.  The southwest corner of 6th & Peoria is a public park, and I don't think the City Council and mayor have decided to abandon that park and to sell it for private development (yet).

saintnicster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 03:49:09 pm »

It looks like the owner of Doc's is proposing a new restaurant with a few apartments above.   I can't tell from the rendering if all that parking is in front of or behind the building - but if it's behind and this fronts Peoria than overall a big win for the Pearl.

I especially love that this is mainly a restaurant with a few apartments above rather than a 200 unit full city block complex meant to be sold to an institutional investor.  Lots of small buildings makes for a more interesting urban environment than a few huge ones.  

Judging by the drive they show, Peoria's on the far side of the drawing.  (google maps)

They also show a floor plan/layout in the related document pdf.  10 units and 5 single car garage stalls in the "phase one" part of the building

EDIT - Yarr, it be the Black Pearl Project
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 03:54:03 pm »

According to the drawings, most of the parking is shown in an existing surface lot to the west of the building (47 uncovered spaces + 5 spaces to be covered).  For Phase 1, five single-car garages are shown on the ground floor of the building, with the garage doors facing the parking lot to the west.  For Phase 2, five more single-car garages are shown.  Additional parking is shown in the existing curved parking area to the north of the site and in the curbside parking lane along Peoria Avenue.

Phase 1 is shown to be constructed in the Elm Creek Regulatory Floodplain.

The name "BLACK PEARL" shown on the building might refer to an austere Empire-Strike-Back color the developers intend to paint the facility or to something else.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:58:20 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 04:25:50 pm »

If the rendering in the TW article is accurate, it appears to be fronted along Peoria, between the existing parking and Peoria itself.  Note the curved entrance in the rendering compared to the Google Image of the area:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/realestate/mixed-used-project-being-proposed-for-pearl-district/article_5007355a-4120-5da1-a113-5979a7806c4d.html?mode=image&photo=

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3509+S+Peoria+Ave,+Tulsa,+OK+74105/@36.1513204,-95.9759846,268m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x87b69352dfefd51b:0x2add2e3414469657!8m2!3d36.1131375!4d-95.9752688

(couldn't hot link the rendering and couldn't find it on the architects site in the 10 seconds I tried...)

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 04:37:46 pm »

If the rendering in the TW article is accurate, it appears to be fronted along Peoria, between the existing parking and Peoria itself...

Correct.  The overall Black Pearl rendering with the parking lot in the foreground is looking east, showing the second phase completed.

The patio rendering is looking south.  It's a roof terrace on the second floor level of the Phase 1 building.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 09:16:23 pm »

I went to the meeting and spent a few minutes looking at the plan. It appeared to me that the patio area was actually on Park land.

Power is nothing till you use it.
johrasephoenix
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 09:07:45 am »

The name "BLACK PEARL" shown on the building might refer to an austere Empire-Strike-Back color the developers intend to paint the facility or to something else.

I really hope "Empire Strikes Back Black" enters the architectural lexicon.  Perhaps my greatest contribution to Tulsa Now thus far.  
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 11:25:57 am »

So glad this faces the street.  I saw one rendering online that looked dense and urban.  Then I saw the rendering in the TW today and almost lost it.  Thanks for verifying that all that parking faces the back.  Last thing the Pearl District needs is another suburban orthodontist with parking killing an entire corner.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 11:29:58 am »

So glad this faces the street.  I saw one rendering online that looked dense and urban.  Then I saw the rendering in the TW today and almost lost it.  Thanks for verifying that all that parking faces the back.  Last thing the Pearl District needs is another suburban orthodontist with parking killing an entire corner.

I think all that parking already exists. Outside of garages I don't see any new parking at all.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 05:13:17 pm »

I went to the meeting and spent a few minutes looking at the plan. It appeared to me that the patio area was actually on Park land.

Correct.  The ground level patio area is shown to be on the park property, about seven steps up above the sidewalk along M.B. Pearl Avenue.

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 05:20:53 pm »

Most of the parking faces the back (west).

The drawings indicate that the outdoor dining patio (at the north end of Phase 1) will be raised about 42 to 49 inches above the sidewalk along M.B. Pearl Avenue.  At the south end of Phase 1, the drawings show the "ground" floor level to be raised about 18 to 21 inches above the sidewalk.

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 05:26:11 pm »

I think all that parking already exists. Outside of garages I don't see any new parking at all.

Correct.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 10:56:31 am »

Does anyone know what the actual limitations are on development in the area due to the flooding concerns?  Does the ground floor or first occupied floor have to be raised a certain amount?  I've always heard it limits development, but I'm ignorant on how exactly...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 05:51:22 pm »

Does anyone know what the actual limitations are on development in the area due to the flooding concerns?  Does the ground floor or first occupied floor have to be raised a certain amount?  I've always heard it limits development, but I'm ignorant on how exactly...

Generally, the lowest finished floor elevation must be raised at least 12 inches above the design flood elevation.  See Title 51, Ordinance #23394, Chapter 16 and Appendix G.

It shouldn't be too difficult for the Black Pearl site.  It's at the edge of the floodplain, not in the middle of Deep Ellum Creek.  As I mentioned in a previous post, the drawings indicate the ground floor to be raised about 42 to 49 inches above the public sidewalk along M.B. Pearl Avenue at the north end of the proposed development, which is the lowest point of the site, within the floodplain.  Most of the site is not within the regulatory floodplain.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org